[novel] Vikram and the Vampire: Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure, Magic, and Romance

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan can be discussed in it's own forum. Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[novel] Vikram and the Vampire: Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure, Magic, and Romance

Post by Big Mac »

I found out there is an out of copyright book called Vikram and the Vampire; Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure, Magic, and Romance that is a translation of some (not all) Hindu stories.

Here is what Amazon say about the author on their Vikram and the Vampire; Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure, Magic, and Romance page:
Amazon.com wrote:Richard Francis Burton was an explorer, translator, writer, soldier, spy, fencer, and diplomat. He is most famous for his translations of One Thousand and One Nights and the Kama Sutra and for having been the first European to visit the Great Lakes of Africa. He traveled to Mecca in disguise and spoke nearly thirty languages. He died in 1890.
Amazon have the book on free Kindle download.

You can also find Vikram and the Vampire; Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure, Magic, and Romance in other formats at Project Gutenberg.

Some of the stories might work for Indian-like campaigns. (I'm not sure if they would fit Mahasarpa, but I think this is worth looking at.)

One of the critical reviews of Vikram and the Vampire; Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure, Magic, and Romance points to another translation (Volumes 6/7 of Katha Saritha Sagara translated by Penzer/Tawney) and says that is a more accurate version of the story. That is apparantly free to download too. (I'm still looking to confirm this is a legal download, at this point.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

mah9
Gnoll

Re: [novel] Vikram and the Vampire: Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure, Magic, and Romance

Post by mah9 »

Author died in 1890, so out of copyright.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [novel] Vikram and the Vampire: Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure, Magic, and Romance

Post by Tim Baker »

Good find! I've been interested in incorporating more Indian themes into my work campaign, to make it more friendly to my peers from India. Sounds like this might make a great resource for that.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”