[WotC] Oriental Adventures and Rokugan FAQ

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan can be discussed in it's own forum. Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Re: [WotC] Oriental Adeventures and Rokugan FAQ

Post by Princess Strega »

bait_the_bard wrote:- shifty eyes -

Damn.. ;)

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

akumadaimyo wrote:Are there plans to further the line? I've seen nothing mentioned whenever I look on the upcoming products list.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

bait_the_bard wrote:Wizards (as far as I know) has no further plans to extend the Rokugan line, by AEG is always putting out various Way of the .., and ll sort of other books involving Rokugan. Some of them are pure d20, while others are half d20 / half d10 (AEG's Rokugan Roleplaying Game)

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

darczero wrote:
bait_the_bard wrote:What's implied in that sentance is the currently (as far as I know) Wizards have no plans for making any further publications featuring Kara-Tur. So it has been 'overtaken' by Rokugan ;)

-the annoying bard
Kara-Tur is mentioned in a few FR books, as it is a geographical region in that campaign setting (well outside the borders of most published maps, but it is there).

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

bait_the_bard wrote:
darczero wrote:Kara-Tur is mentioned in a few FR books, as it is a geographical region in that campaign setting (well outside the borders of most published maps, but it is there).
Yes, tha is true, but Wizards arn't about to publish Kara-Tur; the campaign setting. I know its in some books, and is a location, but no books are going to be released specifically around it.

- the annoying bard

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

ranger_reg wrote:It appears that Hidden Emperor will be the last [dual-stat] product for Rokugan d20 to be released by AEG (IP owner of L5R).

A new edition (3rd) of L5R RPG will be released in the summer, using the d10-based Roll-&-Keep System.

No words on reprinting or revising OA.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

lord_zeb_02 wrote:Just cause it bears saying whenever there is a stickied thread ;) (really, any thread that mentions it at all) - bring back Kara-Tur! I like my old idea of "Beyond Faerun" and putting Maztica, Al-Qadim (never spell that one right) and Kara-Tur in one nice hardback.

:D Zeb
or would that be "the annoying Zeb"? :P

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

bait_the_bard wrote:
lord_zeb_02 wrote::D Zeb
:nono:

Very smoothe there, though I don't think Wizards will take much notice of you

- the annoying zeb?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

the_simple_seeker_ii wrote:
ranger_reg wrote:It appears that Hidden Emperor will be the last [dual-stat] product for Rokugan d20 to be released by AEG (IP owner of L5R).

A new edition (3rd) of L5R RPG will be released in the summer, using the d10-based Roll-&-Keep System.

No words on reprinting or revising OA.
So...I...see

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

loren_soth_02 wrote:
lord_zeb_02 wrote:Just cause it bears saying whenever there is a stickied thread ;) (really, any thread that mentions it at all) - bring back Kara-Tur! I like my old idea of "Beyond Faerun" and putting Maztica, Al-Qadim (never spell that one right) and Kara-Tur in one nice hardback.

:D Zeb
Oh yeah. That would be sweet!

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Zyphus wrote:Three times in Rokugan it mentions a berserker class, and is kind enough to put it in the index. I cannot find such a class and wonder where is it described?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

zombiegleemax wrote:AFAIK, it's just another word for barbarian, with less of a pejorative connotation.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

bait_the_bard wrote:
zombiegleemax wrote:AFAIK, it's just another word for barbarian, with less of a pejorative connotation.
Yes, it is just their word for the Barbarian, if you look near the front of Oriental Advemntures (page 17), it has a little note on Barbarians in Rokuag/OA. Also, on page 29 of Rokugan, thee is a paragraph on Barbarians in Rokugan, and why they're called Berserkers.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

zombiegleemax wrote:The naga in the Rokugan book are listed as Large creatures, yet the Constrictor is clearly (according to the MM3.5 chart on sizes) a Huge creature. My only problem is having a 2000+ pound snake-man in a tea house? ;)

Seriously though, as naga are large do they get the +4 to grapple and -4 to Hide that's listed in the MM3.5 size chart?

Also, if a naga constricts an opponent, do they start causing damage right away or the next round?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

narukagami wrote:
zombiegleemax wrote:My only problem is having a 2000+ pound snake-man in a tea house? ;)
If the naga even gets out of the Shinomen forrest without being attacked, he would need to get into town, that right there will be a whole new set of problems. Unlike standard DnD races, the non-human races of Rokugan are met with a great deal of prejudice. If your not openly attacked you will be shunned, though there are certain exceptions with great heros and alliances and Nezumi courtiers in the Emperor's court, the common villager, ashigaru, or outpost samurai aren't going to give a d*mn. Your not human, so you must be an oni.
zombiegleemax wrote:Seriously though, as naga are large do they get the +4 to grapple and -4 to Hide that's listed in the MM3.5 size chart?

Also, if a naga constricts an opponent, do they start causing damage right away or the next round?
Yes, and yes.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

zombiegleemax wrote:My impression was that the naga weren't despised. Maybe I'll change that. I'm allowing all of the races and classes in OA and Rokugan d20. For the kokoburoru (sp?) they're the servants of the Lions and are generally high-ranking ashigaru at best. The spirit folk are on equal footing with humans and in some cases are either elevated or discriminated against, depending on typical human whim. The vanarans live in the Shinomen Forest with the naga and are generally the only race to ever be shaman, although there are the rare exceptions. I'm still working on hengeyokai and any suggestion would be great.

BTW, which part of my constriction question was your "yes" for?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

narukagami wrote:Er, right away.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

zombiegleemax wrote:
narukagami wrote:Er, right away.
:D Thanks a million!

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

azzy wrote:Can we add a bit to the FAQ listing Dragon and Dungeon issues with OA material?

To my knowlege, there's been:

Dragon 289 (3.0)
  • Black-Clad Assassins: An article about the history of ninja.
  • Silent Warriors: Presents 3 ninja prestige classes.
  • Leveled Treasures: Rules for magic items that increase in power as you level up.
  • Flying Leaps, Deadly Silks: A primer to Wuxia films.
  • Thunder and Fire: Creating "Kaiju"-style monsters.
  • Playful Pheonix Fist: Arandom name generator for martial arts manuevers.
  • Class Combos: Fighter/Monk, Monk/Sohei, Fighter/Shaman & two new martial arts styles.

Dragon 315 (3.0/3.5)
  • Kara-Tur: Ancestor Feats, martial arts styles and a brief guide to Kara-Tur.

Dragon 318 (3.5)
  • The Ninja: Ninja base class.
  • Oriental Adventures Update: Extensive note to convert OA to 3.5.

Dungeon 89 (3.0)
  • Honor and Eta: An OA-themed adventure for 1st-level characters.

I haven't bothered listing the 1st & 2nd edition issues (mainly because I don't want to dust them off, and doubt too many people are going to be concerned with them).
Last edited by Princess Strega on Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

glimeral_dup wrote:
akumadaimyo wrote:I still like Kara-Tur more for a d20 setting. Are there any plans on a d20 version of it. I could also hardly say its over taken Kara-Tur. No one really plays it and if they do they seem to perfer the original version of Rokugan as opposed to the d20 rules, I know I perfer them.
The only thing they have done in respect to Kara-Tur is to publish the Unapproachable East Sourcebook, although from what I have read in it, it doesnt seem to highlight much about Kara-Tur at all.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

zombiegleemax wrote:Hello, i love dnd, but i love the orient even more! When i found out that there was an Oriental Aventurer's Guide my day was made. The unfortunate thing is... my local gaming store havn't heard of it. It cant be out of print cant it?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

narukagami wrote:Next time rather than asking for an Oriental Adventurer's Guide, ask for the book Oriental Adventures. :P

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

zombiegleemax wrote:Yup, you get fewer odd looks if you ask for books that actually exist. :P

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

zombiegleemax wrote:yes, that was very foolish of me... but thats what i was told the book was called, so i guess thats why i couldn't find any articales about it. Anyways... is the a jitte in the equipment section?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

rechan wrote:Messed up post.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”