[WotC] Must have Oa books?

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan can be discussed in it's own forum. Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Post Reply
User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9316
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female
Location: Fugue Plane

[WotC] Must have Oa books?

Post by Princess Strega »

This topic is being archived from the Oriental Adventures forum at Wizards of the Coast, prior to that forum being deleted. It was posted on Sep 22, 2008 23:11:23.
HobbitFan wrote:I was wondering which 3rd edition OA books you guys thought were most useful.

Right now I think I have the main OA book, rokugan and the Hidden emperor campaign.

Are any others really good?

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9316
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female
Location: Fugue Plane

Re: [WotC] Must have Oa books?

Post by Princess Strega »

ranger_reg wrote:
HobbitFan wrote:Are any others really good?
For me, only the OA book.

If I want to play in the Rokugan setting, I'd just go with Legends of the Five Rings RPG (with their Roll-n-Keep System).

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9316
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female
Location: Fugue Plane

Re: [WotC] Must have Oa books?

Post by Princess Strega »

CmdrCorsiken wrote:
HobbitFan wrote:I was wondering which 3rd edition OA books you guys thought were most useful.

Right now I think I have the main OA book, rokugan and the Hidden emperor campaign.

Are any others really good?
After the main OA book, the Rokugan book, which is entirely d20 material, has some good stuff in it. Unless you really want to keep the Rokugan flavor (which is apparently strongly inspired by Japanese culture), you'll want to extract what fits your world.

The Hidden Emperor has a lot of story and adventure hooks. Most are specific to Rokugan, but I'm sure they can be adapted. The relatively small amount of mechanical information in there is presented in both D&D d20 and LotFR 2nd ed.

The other Rokugan books that carry the Oriental Adventures logo on the cover are also dual system books. There is something in nearly every one that can be easily adapted into some other oriental settings.

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9316
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female
Location: Fugue Plane

Re: [WotC] Must have Oa books?

Post by Princess Strega »

lord_karsus wrote:-I only have the Oriental Adventures book, and that's all I use. And, of that, I use about half of the rules contained therewith, and make up the rest.

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9316
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female
Location: Fugue Plane

Re: [WotC] Must have Oa books?

Post by Princess Strega »

Brom_Blackforge wrote:From the thread title alone, I thought the question was going to be whether you would really even need the OA book to play an OA game. Even though that's not what the OP was actually asking, I think it's an interesting question. I think you could probably pull it off, between the oriental-flavored classes in the Complete books, appropriately-themed monsters, and the honor system described in Unearthed Arcana, but I still suspect that you'd be better off having the OA book.

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9316
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female
Location: Fugue Plane

Re: [WotC] Must have Oa books?

Post by Princess Strega »

lord_karsus wrote:
Brom_Blackforge wrote:From the thread title alone, I thought the question was going to be whether you would really even need the OA book to play an OA game. Even though that's not what the OP was actually asking, I think it's an interesting question. I think you could probably pull it off, between the oriental-flavored classes in the Complete books, appropriately-themed monsters, and the honor system described in Unearthed Arcana, but I still suspect that you'd be better off having the OA book.
-You technically wouldn't even need those if you want to get really nitty-gritty. The Dungeon Masters Guide has that chapter about introducing elements that aren't "stereotypical" D&D- Oriental flavor, modern day weapons, and so on. With enough willingness to wing it (ie, Bastard Swords are Katanas, Short Swords are Wazikashi [Sp?], and so on), it's certainly doable.

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9316
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female
Location: Fugue Plane

Re: [WotC] Must have Oa books?

Post by Princess Strega »

CmdrCorsiken wrote:
lord_karsus wrote:-You technically wouldn't even need those if you want to get really nitty-gritty. The Dungeon Masters Guide has that chapter about introducing elements that aren't "stereotypical" D&D- Oriental flavor, modern day weapons, and so on. With enough willingness to wing it (ie, Bastard Swords are Katanas, Short Swords are Wazikashi [Sp?], and so on), it's certainly doable.
Absolutely. The simplest approach would be to use the core classes (and other mechanics) 'as is' and change how they are described in terms that fit the setting. For example, you could call the paladin 'sohei,' the cleric 'shugenja,' since they perform similar roles in the world. Similary, just rename the existing gear to more oriental-sounding equivalents. Heck, you could even rename some spells to truly change the feel of the core material.

Now, if you really want some mechanical differences, then other sourcebooks are likey required. Unless, of course, you are able and willing to develop the mechanical material yourself. For me, I wanted some actual mechanical differences, in part due to my chosen campaign setting having only a few nations with an oriental culture. I also find, at least among my players, that some mechanical differences help re-enforce with the player that the character they are playing is different than most in the world.

So, it really is up to you how to approach it.

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9316
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female
Location: Fugue Plane

Re: [WotC] Must have Oa books?

Post by Princess Strega »

lord_karsus wrote:-While it's certainly doable, I'd still go out and get the Oriental Adventures book, though.

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9316
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female
Location: Fugue Plane

Re: [WotC] Must have Oa books?

Post by Princess Strega »

the_shaman wrote:Oh, certainly. The book is a fairly good one imo for anyone who wants to have a slightly more exotic campaign.

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9316
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female
Location: Fugue Plane

Re: [WotC] Must have Oa books?

Post by Princess Strega »

thakowsaizmu wrote:
lord_karsus wrote:Short Swords are Wazikashi [Sp?]
Wakizashi 脇差

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9316
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female
Location: Fugue Plane

Re: [WotC] Must have Oa books?

Post by Princess Strega »

lord_karsus wrote:-Yeah, that one. At some point, someone mispronounced the word one of the first times I heard it (A D&D game, of course), and ever since, I can never get it right. I always reverse the 'K' and the 'Z'.

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9316
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female
Location: Fugue Plane

Re: [WotC] Must have Oa books?

Post by Princess Strega »

royalblueeyes wrote:
lord_karsus wrote:-Yeah, that one. At some point, someone mispronounced the word one of the first times I heard it (A D&D game, of course), and ever since, I can never get it right. I always reverse the 'K' and the 'Z'.
But not all Japanese Swords are Katana

User avatar
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon
Posts: 9316
Joined: Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:39 am
Gender: female
Location: Fugue Plane

Re: [WotC] Must have Oa books?

Post by Princess Strega »

lord_karsus wrote:
-Good to know.

Post Reply

Return to “Oriental Adventures”