[WotC] Eastern races.

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan can be discussed in it's own forum. Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

[WotC] Eastern races.

Post by Princess Strega »

This topic is being archived from the Oriental Adventures forum at Wizards of the Coast, prior to that forum being deleted. It was posted on Nov 08, 2008 15:04:22
Luis_Carlos wrote:What are your favorite oriental race?
I like the dwarf-like Korobokuru. They are very cool.

Ratkin/ratlings/nezumi is well, but I would like some "evil" nezumi (I´m sorry, the skavens from warhammer is a very strong influence).

Hengeyokai has a great potential. "soft/light and rogue version of werebeast"? But they can´t not be "hairy rogues"

Vanara needs a beter background. It can not be only "jokers". They can be wise people.

Spirit folk (why not a oriental name like shen?) are better with a background of noble fay (like eastern eladrins, or Crane clan from legend of five rigns).

Bakemono has to be a playable gobling race (but clever than 3rd versión).

Naga folk (with arms) can be playable race too.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Re: [WotC] Eastern races.

royalblueeyes wrote:Good luck getting all of this your way in 4E.

The Vanara stem from old Chinese Kung Fu movies, like the one featured in the Forbidden Kingdom. Monkey People who like to play pranks on people in order to teach them something. Very becoming of monkey-people.
Think Rahfiki from the Lion King if you didn't see Forbidden Kingdom.

The Spirit Folk are not noble simply because they can't establish their own ties. They're spirits tied to their surroundings. What makes one Spirit Folk tied to a tree any better than another?
They aren't really a good roleplaying race.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

the_shaman wrote:Well, fluff is mutable so there shouldn't be much of a problem. Vanara are imo the quintessential "forest" race in 3.0 (sorry, I don't take forest dwarves seriously, and there are more of a tribal group anyway) so you can make them as sage-like as you want. Yes, the majority or at least the younger Vanara will most likely be playful little tramps, but that doesn't mean there aren't old Vanara hermits that have the wisdom to put any human sage to shame. They may be a bit like elves in that regard, btw. I like them most, and I've played a Vanara shaman in an an OA game that I think was quite good, even though I'm not very good at sustainable performance.

As for the spirit folk, I never quite got what they were supposed to be. They seem a mix between humans and native outsiders/fey, but I can't quite get the flavor. It could be made into anything you want; perhaps they would be several fey courts that they belong to (depending on the terrain) or some such.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

merrikcale wrote:I always liked Spirit Folk myself

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

quale1 wrote:linqua

or

spiritfolk
skaven, rylkar
naga
ogre magi
rakshasa
vaati
vanara
kalashtar

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Luis_Carlos wrote:Linqua?

Rylkar (from MM V) are rat monster, not rat humanoid race.

Now the ogre mage are named oni. A oni PC race or monster class? good idea!! ;)

Kalasthar are from Eberron, I´m afraid. but we will se in a PH anyway.

Vaati is final boos from videgame Legend of Zelda. It isn´t D&D copyrigth. I´m sorry!! (It isn´t truth I´m sorry)

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

quale1 wrote:linqua are servants of Sung Chiang (check Planes of Conflict)

rylkar, I changed them

vaati, nah I meant The Wind Dukes of Aaqa, they're in OA web enhancement

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Luis_Carlos wrote:Tengu can be a eastern PC race too, like the oriental equivalent of raptoran.

They are the clasic crow-men (like the crow werebeast), or the classic humanoid with long nose (symbol of proud or arrogance). I refer to second one, with long , but not so exaggerate, nose.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

lord_karsus wrote:-In my own setting, all I have are Humans, Spirit Folk, Halflings, and Thrii-Kreen hidden away in the Underdark.

Humans: Primary inhabitants
Spirit Folk: Products of Human and Spirit unions. Are fairly rare, and are afforded great honor.
Halflings: Primarily live in one city, and can be found in small minorities in some others. They are very gypsy-like.
Thrii-Kreen: Live in secrecy in a great vault in the Underdark. The only practitioners of Psionics, and the only keepers of the "true" history of the continent; ie, the one not changed by Humans and their deities.

-Any suggestions for any other interesting races? I always felt maybe there could be one or two more, within reason.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

kinowolf wrote:@Lord Karsus

You should throw in Duergar. They'd fill in the Dwarf niche, but would bring plenty of conflict and complications. I'd go for the more Neutral interpretation of them, to make them a better PC race. More self-serving and opportunistic than out-and-out evil.

They'd also give you another Psionic race to work with, and you could potentially work in a background story involving the Thrii-Keen. Maybe they stole the secrets long ago? Maybe they subscribe to the same view of history, with their own ethnocentric variations?

Also, PC Goblins are always great, especially if you take on the mad tinkerers variation found in things like WoW or Iron Kingdoms. They could also have an antagonistic or maybe working relationship with Halflings. Either one would require interesting explanations. Again, push them towards a neutral balance as a whole in order to have some equilibrium as a PC race.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

lord_karsus wrote:-I've added in Kenku, who live in some mountains in secrecy, having traded Pazuzu their worship for their continued survival.

-Dwarves, even as Duergar, I don't really see as "fitting". I was thinking about some kind of Dwarf "niche", but I don't really see it, in regards to my "Oriental section", to so speak.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

vigilant1 wrote:The Vanara are also found in the Sanskrit epic Ramayana. Sugriva, king of the Vanara, lent his subjects to Rama, an avatar of Vishnu, to defeat Ravana, king of the Rakshasas, and rescue Rama's wife Sita.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”