[*][WotC] 1st Edition AD&D Oriental Adventures Conversion

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan can be discussed in it's own forum. Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

[*][WotC] 1st Edition AD&D Oriental Adventures Conversion

Post by Princess Strega »

This topic is being archived from the Oriental Adventures forum at Wizards of the Coast, prior to that forum being deleted. It was posted on May 14, 2009 0:35:09
fenrir7139 wrote:So, my school was having a book drive to raise money for our town's swimming pool, and I found a copy of first edition's OA. I read through it, and decided to update it. Right now, I have the races, weapons will come next. I'm not sure if I'll do the classes, though, since most of them can be covered by what we already have, so... Yeah. Please, PEACH my races, I think I overpowered some, and probably underpowered others, so any help at all would be great.

EDIT: Due to feedback from Fireclave, I have reformatted how the races are show, so they should be easier to read now.

Korobokuru
"Wild, rowdy dwarves, at home in the wild regions of the world."

In terms of in-game statistics, Korobokuru are identical to dwarves (PHB, Page 36), with two important exceptions:

1. Korobokuru receive a +2 to Nature (replaces the normal +2 to Dungeoneering).
2. Korobokuru are automatically proficient with the Spear and Javelin (in place of the Warhammer and Throwing Hammer)

Because of their close kinship with dwarves, Korobokuru are considered dwarves for the purposes of effects, feats, and other considerations.

Playing a Korobokuru

Korobokuru are a distant cousin of dwarves. Living in vast jungles, snowy mountain forests, or barren wilderness areas, they seldom come into contact with humans. Korobokuru prefer remote and forbidding sites of great natural beauty. There they live in simple villages or camps, moving only when forced to by the advance of human settlements.

In appearance, Korobokuru are about four feet tall, with arms and legs slightly longer in proportion to their bodies than a humans. Most are bow-legged. Their arms and legs are hairy, and the men have sparse beards. They have a wild, unkempt appearance.

Culturally, Korobokuru are much less advanced than most of their human neighbors. They hunt and tend small farms in secluded areas, and create simple pieces of art and craft. They normally avoid human contact. Because of this (and the general conceit of humans), humans consider Korobokuru to be backward primitives, and rarely except them as full members of human society. They are typically seen as rude, pugnacious, boastful, and somewhat comical by the rest of the world.

Korobokuru Characteristics
Tough, Dependable, Rowdy, Rude, Pugnacious, Boastful, Comical, Wild

Korobokuru Names
Male: Ahkas, Anramasu, Apa, Apto, Arka, Asi, Asir, Ceh, Cep, Cikaye, Cikap, Cip, Cuporo, Ekimne, Eper, Eraman, Erampetek, Goza,

Female: Ahun, Anekuroro, Apunno, Arespa, Asikne, Atomte, Cari, Casi, Cipo, Crikinka, Cis, Enere, Epis, Eramisikari, Erampokinu, Hureka

Korobokuru Name Resource

Hengeyokai
Ability Score: +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 6
Vision: Low-Light

Languages: Common, Elven
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 History
Wisdom of the Sages: Carp Hengeyokai are known for their knowledge of many things; you gain training in one extra skill of your choice.
River King: You can breathe underwater.
Fey Origin: Your origin is Fey, not Natural.

Carp Hengeyokai: Once per encounter, you can choose to use either your Typhoon racial power, or your Shining Scales racial power.

Shining Scales (Carp Hengeyokai Racial Power)
In a flash, you reveal your true form, your scales shining so intensely that your foes stagger away from you.
Encounter ♦ Radiant
Standard Action - Close Burst 1
Targets:
Each creature in burst
Attack: Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma vs. Fortitude

Hit: 1d4 Radiant Damage, and you push the target 1 square
- Level 11: 2d4 Radiant Damage
- Level 21: 2d4 Radiant Damage, and the target is knocked prone

Carp Names
Male: Fugu, Geiin, Gyogun, Gyoniku, Higai, Hiramasa, Kohada, Nettaigyo, Sougyo, Takinobori, Zako
Female: Magoi, Nishikigoi, Sakana, Sengyo, Toto, Tsuribori, Yana, Uroko
Last edited by Princess Strega on Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Re: [WotC] 1st Edition AD&D Oriental Adventures Conversion

fenrir7139 wrote:Here are the weapons, and the stats that they use.

Bo-Stick: Quarterstaff
Boku-Toh (Bokken): Club
Chain: Spiked Chain
Chijiriki: Double Sword
Chopsticks: +0, 1 Damage, [Chopstick-Fighter Feat = Dagger]
Chu-Ko-Nu: Repeating Crossbow
Daikyu: Greatbow
Fang: Club
Gunsen: Light Shield
Jitte: Parrying Dagger
Jo-Stick: Club
Kama: Sickle
Katana: Scimitar
Kawanga: Spiked Chain, Gives +2 to Climbing checks when wielded
Kiseru: Mace
Kumade: Spear, Gives +2 to climbing checks when wielded
Kusari-Gama: Light War Pick
Kyoketsuogi: Spiked Chain
Lajatang: Double Axe
Lasso: (Superior) +3 Bonus, +1 Reach, adds +4 to grab attempt on hit.
Man-Catcher (Superior): +2 Bonus, +1 Reach, 1d4 Damage, adds +4 to grab attempt on hit
Nagimaki: Spear
Naginata: Glaive
Needle: +1, 1 Damage [Needle-Master Feat = Dagger]
Nekode: Spiked Gauntlet, +1 to Climb checks (Paired = +2)
Ninja-To: Short Sword
Nunchaku: Club
Parang: Kukri
Pellet Bow: A shortbow that fires sling bullets
Sai: Dagger
Sang-Kauw: Same stats as bastard sword
Shaken: Shuriken
Shakujo-Yari: Quarterstaff; Minor Action changes to Spear
Shikome-Zue: Quarterstaff; Minor Action changes to spiked chain (requires Spiked Chain feat)
Siangkam: Katar
Tetsubo: Greatclub
Three-Piece-Rod: Spiked Chain
Tui-Fa (Tonfa): Club
Uchi-Ne: Dagger
Wakizashi: Shortsword
Whip: Scourge

I figured the +2 to climbing thing was all right, because it's not like you can really use more than one of them. Also, I know the Chopstick-Fighter/Needle-Master feats are ridiculous, but, I figure if a person wants a chopstick-wielding character enough to spend a feat, then why not?

And the system of money:

Copper Piece: Fen
Silver Piece: Yuan
Gold Piece: Ch’ao
Platinum Piece: Tael
Astral Diamonds: Dragon Tears (alternatively, Ch’ien)

This isn’t what was listed in the actual book; it had a much more complicated system of currency. However, in the interest of simplicity, I streamlined it to this. Dragon Tears are, essentially, Astral Diamonds; they aren’t actual tears, that’s just the name they’ve been given (read: that I made up).

This also helps the whole exchange-rate problem the original book describes; while this might not be quite as realistic as the way it is described, I personally feel that this system is better suited to 4E D&D.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Fireclave wrote:This is a lot to critique at one time, so critique in parts from top to bottom instead.

The Korobokuru no problem there.

Hengeyokai need some trimming down. Just going over first impressions, first of all, you gave them effectively three racial powers: Animal Form and two others per race. That's a bit too many in my opinion. One is typically enough, maybe two if you're modeling off the drow. For your Hengeyokai, Animal Shape and one other encounter ability would be plenty enough.

Second, Animal Form is basically Wild Shape almost verbatim and even works with wildshape powers. It would be a lot simpler and easier to read if you simply say that they get the Druid's Wildshape power, give the relevant racial powers the Beast keyword, and in each [Animal] Form ability, change the text to "while wildshaped" instead of "while in animal form."

Alternatively, you could have Animal Shape mimic Wildshape except for the ability to shift, which is actually a pretty nifty maneuver worth being counted as one of your race's major abilities (and perhaps give it back later with a racial feat, or hengeyokai-specific druid feat). Doing that still reduces redundancy while giving you more room to add interesting mechanics.

Carp
Encounter – Animal Form, Cold
Standard Action – Area Burst 1 within 5 Squares
Target: Each Creature in burst
Attack: Wisdom, Constitution, or Int vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 Cold Damage
Level 11: 1d8 Cold Damage
Level 21: 2d8 Cold Damage
Two problems here. First, the damage scales too slowly. The jump of 1pt average damage at paragon especially is a joke. I suggest 1d6 per tier. Second, this power needs per tier attack scaling.

That said, I still hold to my previous suggestion that you should drop one of the encounter powers.
Carp Form: In carp form, you lose your land speed; you instead gain fly speed 4 (hover), and swim speed 8. You can still breathe while out of water while in carp form.
Drop the fly speed and its not bad.
Lord of the Waters: You gain a +2 to your Will defense; you also count as an aquatic creature, and can breathe underwater.
Defense bonuses are extremely coveted in 4e. Very few racial abilities or feats give a flat-out, unconditional bonus to a defense (something I need to add to my guide). I suggest you drop the Will bonus. There is no aquatic creature type, but there is an Aquatic ability, which is what I assume you meant (or see DMG pg45 if you didn't). Granting aquatic and the ability to breath underwater is actually a nice touch and none too powerful in a typical campaign.

Other than those comments, the Carp seems fine.

I'll try to critique some more later..

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

lord_karsus wrote:-This is Kara-Tur, or a generic Oriental setting?

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

fenrir7139 wrote:
lord_karsus wrote:-This is Kara-Tur, or a generic Oriental setting?
I'm basing this off of the 1st Edition Oriental Adventures Book, which, I believe, first used Kara-Tur; it became a part of the Forgotten Realms later. But, this stuff could easily be used in any oriental setting (I think), or even Occidental ones. I'm just using Kara-Tur here because I don't feel like making up a new name.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

lord_karsus wrote:-Okay, I just wasn't sure. If it was supposed to be specifically for Kara-Tur, it should be in the Forgotten Realms section, as opposed to being more or less about generic Oriental flavor, where it should be here, in the Oriental Adventures section. Carry on, then.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Hebitsuikaza wrote:Instead of having a million different races, boil down to what all the Spiritfolk or Hengeyoukai have in common with one another and write a single Spiritfolk race and a single Hengeyoukai race, allowing the base race to be flexible enough to be whatever sort the player wishes.

Look at how flexible the human race is for instance. Make something very flexible and open like that and then let the player plug in whatever random animal they feel like plugging in. Don't worry about specific bonuses for any given animal-- Druids can transform into any animal imaginable and yet it has absolutely no effect whatsoever on their skills, their stats, their abilities, or their movement. Regardless of whether they transform into a snake or a hawk or a owlbear, it doesn't make any difference. So you don't have to write up abilities for every imaginable kind of animal you think could qualify as a Hengeyoukai-- just make 1.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

egg_thallid_sandwich wrote:I tend to agree with hebitsuikaza there are way too many hengeyokai and they could do with some simplification. perhaps like the shifters in PHB2 you could create a base hengeyokai, reflecting the things all hengeokai have in common then apply the unique traits each individual animal type has. This approach could also be used for spirit-folk. also shrink the list of animals... I know your basing this off of 1E OA, I'm not actually familiar with that edition it's way before my time. I was into 3.5 and there was an excellent duo of OA books the first providing general OA setting and touching upon the Rokugan setting of L5R and the second book completely focusing on the Rokugan setting. they shaved down the list of hengeyokai to i think 10 (hard to remember i don't own the books anymore) Nezumi and Vanara (monkey-race) became separate from them and always in animal hybrid form. Actually its these two races i want to see homebrewed the most as they were my favs... If i haven't already been beaten to it I intend to use Fireclave's guidelines to do it myself (still searching forums to see if anyone already did)

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

sirthoreth wrote:
Hebitsuikaza wrote:Instead of having a million different races, boil down to what all the Spiritfolk or Hengeyoukai have in common with one another and write a single Spiritfolk race and a single Hengeyoukai race, allowing the base race to be flexible enough to be whatever sort the player wishes.
I'm going to have to agree, too: streamlining the two seems to me to be a good idea.

As for weapons, just a couple thoughts:
Jo-Stick: Club
That one feels weird to me, given the length of the Jo versus, say, a bokken, but I'm not seeing many alternatives, either.

I'm going to disagree on this one, and recommend a bastard sword instead. It's pretty much how the katana got handled 2nd and 3rd edition D&D, and the katana is definitely a "hand-and-a-half" sword, which the scimitar, in 4th Edition, isn't.
Nagimaki: Spear
I was thinking the falchion might be a better representation of the nagimaki and no-dachi, with the yari being the spear.

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

wancow wrote:
Instead of having a million different races, boil down to what all the Spiritfolk or Hengeyoukai have in common with one another and write a single Spiritfolk race and a single Hengeyoukai race, allowing the base race to be flexible enough to be whatever sort the player wishes.
I'm going to have to agree, too: streamlining the two seems to me to be a good idea.
Actually, the idea of having so many IMHO, tends to fit the whole Japanese theme of perfection... That's not to take away from your points, as they are valid. But I rather like the idea of having different options for different types... Hengeyokai are very similar to shifters... so I'd be inclined to base it upon them.
I'm going to disagree on this one, and recommend a bastard sword instead. It's pretty much how the katana got handled 2nd and 3rd edition D&D, and the katana is definitely a "hand-and-a-half" sword, which the scimitar, in 4th Edition, isn't.
It was pretty much the Bastard Sword from the very beginning...

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

wancow wrote:
sirthoreth wrote:I was thinking the falchion might be a better representation of the nagimaki and no-dachi, with the yari being the spear.
Actually, I was thinking Falchion for certain versions of the Naginata...

The Nodaichi is a bloody long long long blade, and just looks unwieldy as hell... I'd make it a Greatsword.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”