[WotC] Oriental Weapon Re-Flavoring

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan can be discussed in it's own forum. Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

[WotC] Oriental Weapon Re-Flavoring

Post by Princess Strega »

This topic is being archived from the Oriental Adventures forum at Wizards of the Coast, prior to that forum being deleted. It was posted on Aug 12, 2010 23:04:36
Chiba_Monkey wrote:Honestly, this is a re-posting of a post of mine almost 2 years old, but I figured, having read some of the threads here, that interested parties might look here.

In my campaign, the dragonborn come from a continent to the south that was (back in 3.x), an unkown land, an idea I was toying with that there was a continent ruled by dragons in which the primary humanoid inhabitants were mostly draconic or half-dragon, and dragons ruled. This continent is now connected to the primary landmass in which I run my campaigns, but remains fairly mysterious (as of now, any dragonborn players in my campaign are decended from dragonborn who emigrated north over a century before.

Dragonborn concepts of honor lend to a very bushido-like outlook, and, wanting to emphasize the difference, I wanted everything in thi continent to look and feel a lot different. So, I decided, what if the land were Oriental-themed and the dragons ruled as daimyos over the dragonborn populace?

Just as a flavor thing, I don't intend on making a whole new list of weapons and armor, but I was looking at past Oriental campaign sources and was doing conversions for items and wanted to post them here for people who might want something similar. Anyone else who would like to contribute is welcome to do so, I will update the lsit on the OP whenever I get the chance.

Armor
Cloth: No change (Cord Armor?)
Leather: Ashigaru Armor, Bone Armor, (Cord Armor?)
Hide: Leather Scale, Dhenuka
Chainmail: Brigandine Armor, Partial Armor
Scale: Lamellar
Plate: Great Armor (O-yoroi)

Weapons:
Dagger: Tanto, Aiguchi, Tamo Daggers
Short Sword: Ninja-to, Butterfly Sword, Wakizashi(restricted to nobility)
Bastard Sword: Katana
Greatsword: No-dachi
Falchion: Nagamaki, Ba Gua Dao
Maul: Die Tsuchi
Greatclub: Tetsubo
Greataxe: Ono
Rapier: Tai Chi Sword (scholar's sword)
Scimitar: Dao
Longspear: Yari
Spear/Javelin: Nage-yari
Quarterstaff: Bo
Club: Jo
Glaive: Naginata
Halberd: Kwan Dao
Parrying Dagger: Sai, Jitte
Sickle: Kama

New Weapons
Tonfa: Same stats as club, add Defensive and Off-Hand properties.; Military Weapon.
Nunchaku: Military Weapon; +2 Prof.; 1d6 damage; Mace, Flail, Off-Hand Versatile properties.
Kusari-Gama: Superior, 2h Double Weapon; +2 Prof.; 1d6/1d6 damage; Light Blade, Flail, Off-Hand, Reach properties.

Any additional items, as well as additions to the ones I have already posted are welcome!

Princess Strega
Dawn Dragon

Re: [WotC] Oriental Weapon Re-Flavoring

Post by Princess Strega »

Steely_Dan wrote:I totally dig this and agree with pretty much all of your equivalents, but what about the Chinese action:

Like the Lajatang etc.

Jirover
Kobold

Re: [WotC] Oriental Weapon Re-Flavoring

Post by Jirover »

I want to reflavor it to a more Chinese flavor. my issue is that the Ninja Spy gets exotic weapon proficiencies as it levels up... however, most of the weapons appear to be quite Japanese in origin and flavor. I would like different weapons that reflect a more Chinese setting.
pepper spray

Return to “Oriental Adventures”