[OD&D][Yoon-Suin] Anyone got Yoon-Suin?

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan can be discussed in it's own forum. Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[OD&D][Yoon-Suin] Anyone got Yoon-Suin?

Post by Big Mac »

I just bumped into someone on Faceborg who told me that they were interested in a campaign setting called Yoon-Suin.

I've never heard of this before. I did a bit of digging and it turns out that this is an OD&D compatible campaign setting, that was published last year.

Here is the blurb:
Yoon-Suin is a campaign toolbox for fantasy games, giving you the equipment necessary to run a sandbox campaign in your own Yoon-Suin - a region of high adventure shrouded in ancient mysteries, opium smoke, great luxury and opulent cruelty.

Contains:
  • A bestiary of unique monsters, including self-mummified monks, liquid golems, tiger-beetle men, figments, and dozens more
  • A new character class, the Crab-man
  • A chapter for each of the major regions of Yoon-Suin, filled with random generators to brainstorm map contents, social groups, and more
  • Extended rules for poisons, tea, opium, trade, deities and so on
  • Extended rules for exploring the Old Town of the Yellow City, and the haunted jungles of Lahag
  • Many encounter tables
  • Well over 100 pre-written adventure locales to populate a regional map
  • Over 300 pages of content
  • Purple prose
Has anyone got this? What do you think of it?

How easy would it be to convert use the chapters of the regions of Yoon-Suin with a ruleset other than OD&D?

I can imagine why someone might want rules for poisons, but what do the rules for tea do? :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [OD&D][Yoon-Suin] Anyone got Yoon-Suin?

Post by Tim Baker »

Big Mac wrote:I just bumped into someone on Faceborg who told me that they were interested in a campaign setting called Yoon-Suin.

I've never heard of this before. I did a bit of digging and it turns out that this is an OD&D compatible campaign setting, that was published last year.

Has anyone got this? What do you think of it?
I just picked this up, based on your post. It's over 300 pages, so I've only given it a skim, but I'll answer your questions as best I can.
Big Mac wrote:How easy would it be to convert use the chapters of the regions of Yoon-Suin with a ruleset other than OD&D?
This materials are largely system neutral. There's a new class, and around 45 pages of monsters. That leaves over 250 pages of details about the setting and various random tables.

There are a few other system-specific tidbits:
  • A few of the tables mention how many hit dice an NPC or monster should have, but this just gives you a sense of how dangerous the encounter is, and the rest of the table is system-neutral, in these cases.
  • There's also a table that lists spells that ghosts may have. These are D&D spells, so you may need to do a bit of conversion here.
  • There are a few tables that list treasure types. You'd need to refer to OD&D for a conversion.
  • There's a list of potions. I'm not positive, but I think these are detailed in OD&D (they're not detailed in this book).
  • Psionics are included as an option.
  • Prices are in GP.
  • Magical tattoos, teas, and opium provide benefits that are described, but also expressed in D&D mechanics.
Big Mac wrote:I can imagine why someone might want rules for poisons, but what do the rules for tea do? :?
Teas have near-magical properties in Yoon-Suin. Effects of drinking various types of tea include vomiting, aphrodisiac, hallucinogen, relaxant, stimulant, anti-toxin, truthfulness, healing, etc. Each entry provides the color of the tea, the preparation method, rarity, description of effects, and the mechanical effects.

It looks like an interesting setting. I hope this helps.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”