[OD&D][Yoon-Suin] Anyone got Yoon-Suin?

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[OD&D][Yoon-Suin] Anyone got Yoon-Suin?

Post by Big Mac » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:28 am

I just bumped into someone on Faceborg who told me that they were interested in a campaign setting called Yoon-Suin.

I've never heard of this before. I did a bit of digging and it turns out that this is an OD&D compatible campaign setting, that was published last year.

Here is the blurb:
Yoon-Suin is a campaign toolbox for fantasy games, giving you the equipment necessary to run a sandbox campaign in your own Yoon-Suin - a region of high adventure shrouded in ancient mysteries, opium smoke, great luxury and opulent cruelty.

Contains:
  • A bestiary of unique monsters, including self-mummified monks, liquid golems, tiger-beetle men, figments, and dozens more
  • A new character class, the Crab-man
  • A chapter for each of the major regions of Yoon-Suin, filled with random generators to brainstorm map contents, social groups, and more
  • Extended rules for poisons, tea, opium, trade, deities and so on
  • Extended rules for exploring the Old Town of the Yellow City, and the haunted jungles of Lahag
  • Many encounter tables
  • Well over 100 pre-written adventure locales to populate a regional map
  • Over 300 pages of content
  • Purple prose
Has anyone got this? What do you think of it?

How easy would it be to convert use the chapters of the regions of Yoon-Suin with a ruleset other than OD&D?

I can imagine why someone might want rules for poisons, but what do the rules for tea do? :?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [OD&D][Yoon-Suin] Anyone got Yoon-Suin?

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:54 am

Big Mac wrote:I just bumped into someone on Faceborg who told me that they were interested in a campaign setting called Yoon-Suin.

I've never heard of this before. I did a bit of digging and it turns out that this is an OD&D compatible campaign setting, that was published last year.

Has anyone got this? What do you think of it?
I just picked this up, based on your post. It's over 300 pages, so I've only given it a skim, but I'll answer your questions as best I can.
Big Mac wrote:How easy would it be to convert use the chapters of the regions of Yoon-Suin with a ruleset other than OD&D?
This materials are largely system neutral. There's a new class, and around 45 pages of monsters. That leaves over 250 pages of details about the setting and various random tables.

There are a few other system-specific tidbits:
  • A few of the tables mention how many hit dice an NPC or monster should have, but this just gives you a sense of how dangerous the encounter is, and the rest of the table is system-neutral, in these cases.
  • There's also a table that lists spells that ghosts may have. These are D&D spells, so you may need to do a bit of conversion here.
  • There are a few tables that list treasure types. You'd need to refer to OD&D for a conversion.
  • There's a list of potions. I'm not positive, but I think these are detailed in OD&D (they're not detailed in this book).
  • Psionics are included as an option.
  • Prices are in GP.
  • Magical tattoos, teas, and opium provide benefits that are described, but also expressed in D&D mechanics.
Big Mac wrote:I can imagine why someone might want rules for poisons, but what do the rules for tea do? :?
Teas have near-magical properties in Yoon-Suin. Effects of drinking various types of tea include vomiting, aphrodisiac, hallucinogen, relaxant, stimulant, anti-toxin, truthfulness, healing, etc. Each entry provides the color of the tea, the preparation method, rarity, description of effects, and the mechanical effects.

It looks like an interesting setting. I hope this helps.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”