[OD&D][Kaigaku] Kaigaku RPG

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other oriental worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.

[OD&D][Kaigaku] Kaigaku RPG

Postby Big Mac » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:04 am

Angel found a free roleplaying game (called Kaigaku RPG) and posted about it in his Freebie Friday on DriveThruRPG topic:
Kaigaku RPG on Drive Thru RPG wrote:Kaigaku RPG
From Thunderegg Productions

The Kaigaku RPG is a retroclone that blends simple OSR rules (by way of the Black Hack) and inspiration from famous samurai-themed games. You can use this book to play intense duels between bushi, wars of words among courtiers, ninja missions and more.

This book is the free, no-art, no-frills version. It has everything you need to play. We'll be kickstarting the game soon to purchase art and other services to create the best possible product. The expanded version is going to have many more schools for you characters to attend, a detailed bestiary, lots of cultural notes, pre-made adventure/hooks, a mass battle system, a new class (the Artisan) and a more in-depth look at the setting.

Take your games further with the following additions to the Black Hack ruleset:

*Ryu: Schools that teach your characters powerful abilities.

*Kiishi: Stones charged with unimaginable power that Ascetics can harness

*Kaigaku: An evocative setting inspired by Japan, China, Mongolia and Europe

*Duels: Rules for dramatic one-on-one ritual combat

We're eager to hear your feedback. You can let us know what you think and leave questions or comments on the official Kaigaku RPG Google+ community (sorry, but this site doesn't allow URLs).

Here is the Kaigaku RPG community at Google+ if anyone is interested.

Personally, I'm more interested in the Kaigaku campaign setting, than the modified Black Hack rules. But as Black Hack is a D&D retro-clone, the Kaigaku ruleset might be useful for someone who wants to run one of the other Asian-style campaign settings in an old school D&D game. (I'm not quite sure which D&D edition Black Hack emulates yet.)

EDIT: Black Hat is an OD&D retro-clone.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [OD&D][Kaigaku] Kaigaku RPG

Postby Angel Tarragon » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:41 pm

I have not yet given it a thorough look through. I too am more curious as to the setting itself.

It seems, perhaps, that the market is becoming over-saturated with D&D retro-clones.
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Tim Baker » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:36 pm

Big Mac wrote:Black Hat is an OD&D retro-clone.

Black Hack's goal is to capture the tone of OD&D, but its mechanics are even simpler than OD&D. There are no tables to consult. Saving throws are ability checks. Distance is abstracted to "close, nearby, and far away." Players roll all dice (similar to Numenera's Cypher System), to free the GM up to focus on the storytelling. Armor acts as damage reduction, rather than reducing the chances of being hit. I'm not sure if there's a universally accepted definition of "retro-clone," but I tend to think of systems like Swords & Sorcery as an OD&D retro-clone, as it's attempting to reproduce not only the tone but the actual mechanics of OD&D. The Black Hack is more "inspired by" OD&D. It's a simple game, and packs the rules, classes, and spells into 20 pages with generously large font. I suspect its simplicity is the cause of its sudden surge in popularity.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby rabindranath72 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:22 pm

Tim Baker wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Black Hat is an OD&D retro-clone.

Black Hack's goal is to capture the tone of OD&D, but its mechanics are even simpler than OD&D. There are no tables to consult. Saving throws are ability checks. Distance is abstracted to "close, nearby, and far away." Players roll all dice (similar to Numenera's Cypher System), to free the GM up to focus on the storytelling. Armor acts as damage reduction, rather than reducing the chances of being hit. I'm not sure if there's a universally accepted definition of "retro-clone," but I tend to think of systems like Swords & Sorcery as an OD&D retro-clone, as it's attempting to reproduce not only the tone but the actual mechanics of OD&D. The Black Hack is more "inspired by" OD&D. It's a simple game, and packs the rules, classes, and spells into 20 pages with generously large font. I suspect its simplicity is the cause of its sudden surge in popularity.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to clone much at all. "Inspired" seems a more appropriate word, but then again, more for the "feel" than the rules.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby DiscoSoup » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:01 am

Hi, I'm the author of Kaigaku. It's cool to see a discussion. There are some things that I wanted to get out there about this game.

So while it's ostensibly an OSR retroclone, it's also inspired by um, popular, recently out-of-print samurai RPGs. That's where the ryu concept comes from. The PDF, as it stands, is something that I'm not super thrilled with. A lot of the Black Hack (read all) are pretty much laid out the same. They're written for people who have played OSR games before. I had a guy read it (a successful RPG designer) and he found the rules incomprehensible. I was able to suss them out from what I know of the old d20 systems, but I got his point.

The initial release is formatted so that people from the Black Hack communities can get into it pretty easily. I'm going to be updating it as time goes on to be more user-friendly (still gonna be artless until the Kickstarter campaign). Right now, if you know old-school rules, and you're familiar with samurai tropes, you can pick it up and play no prob. I'm working on sections that explain the setting more fully, including the life of a samurai, social order and all that, so folks who don't know anything about Japan can play. The rules are getting usage examples and a more logical layout. The WIP manuscript is here, where you can comment if you like.
DiscoSoup
Goblin

Postby Tim Baker » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:03 am

Thanks for joining the community to comment on this thread, DiscoSoup! And welcome to The Piazza! You may want to take a moment to stop by the "introduce yourself here" thread and tell us little more about yourself and your RPG background.

I'd never considered what it would be like to read The Black Hack separated from my familiarity with d20 systems. That's an interesting problem to solve. I look forward to seeing the evolution of your product!
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:57 pm

DiscoSoup wrote:Hi, I'm the author of Kaigaku. It's cool to see a discussion. There are some things that I wanted to get out there about this game.

Welcome to The Piazza DiscoSoup!

Tim beat me to it, with the Introduce yourself here topic, but we will have to get Havard to add you to his Celebrities on The Piazza list.

You might want to put a link to your Kaigaku website in your forum signature...and/or use a picture of the person on your Kaigaku cover as your forum avatar (so that people can find you and your work more easily).

DiscoSoup wrote:So while it's ostensibly an OSR retroclone, it's also inspired by um, popular, recently out-of-print samurai RPGs. That's where the ryu concept comes from. The PDF, as it stands, is something that I'm not super thrilled with. A lot of the Black Hack (read all) are pretty much laid out the same. They're written for people who have played OSR games before. I had a guy read it (a successful RPG designer) and he found the rules incomprehensible. I was able to suss them out from what I know of the old d20 systems, but I got his point.

I guess that, if you do get to the Kickstarter stage, you could always have stretch goals that would add on support for other rules (like Pathfinder) if you thought that would open up your world to more people.

DiscoSoup wrote:The initial release is formatted so that people from the Black Hack communities can get into it pretty easily. I'm going to be updating it as time goes on to be more user-friendly (still gonna be artless until the Kickstarter campaign). Right now, if you know old-school rules, and you're familiar with samurai tropes, you can pick it up and play no prob. I'm working on sections that explain the setting more fully, including the life of a samurai, social order and all that, so folks who don't know anything about Japan can play. The rules are getting usage examples and a more logical layout. The WIP manuscript is here, where you can comment if you like.

I don't know old school rules, I'm afraid.

My angle is that I started with AD&D 2nd Edition and moved onto 3rd Edition D&D.

I like the Spelljammer campaign setting and that had a tie-in to the 1st Edition version of Oriental Adventures, as there were people from Kara-Tur who were space explorers. Most of the other planets that Spelljammer connects to are not based on Asian cultures, so I was feeling a bit frustrated about these Kara-Tur spacefarers travelling around on their dragonships and constantly bumping into cultures based more on western culture than their own.

Then, a while ago, I realised that I could use Rokugan (from the 3rd Edition Oriental Adventures) and Mahasarpa (the Web Enhancement for that book) as other worlds. They are not exactly the same, but they are similar enough that they would be able to share things like trade goods.

So, my personal interest in Kaigaku is in looking at it as a world (rather than look at the system). Maybe that means that the issues others have experienced with the rules do not matter to me. Or maybe it means that I'll struggle to convert things - I'm not sure yet. :? But I do hope your project works out OK, so that you get to do more with the world.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby DiscoSoup » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:48 pm

I just might do that. I'm actually not a player of D&D, though I'm familiar with the rules via retroclones. My tastes run towards sci-fi and historical. I don't do fantasy, per se. Kaigaku might have fantastic elements, but it's more in the vein of the Marvel films, wher what less advanced people view as magic is really super science.
DiscoSoup
Goblin

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:34 pm

DiscoSoup wrote:I just might do that. I'm actually not a player of D&D, though I'm familiar with the rules via retroclones. My tastes run towards sci-fi and historical. I don't do fantasy, per se. Kaigaku might have fantastic elements, but it's more in the vein of the Marvel films, wher what less advanced people view as magic is really super science.

There are a few superhero RPGs out there, although I don't play that sort of game, so I'm no sure what's what.

There might even be an open content superhero game out there, that you could customise for use with Kaigaku.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby DiscoSoup » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:12 pm

I've been really busy over the last couple months expanding the manuscript and hiring art. Kaigaku is a now a professionally edited, full-fledged game with a detailed, but fast rules. I'm going to be putting it up on Kickstarter soon and I'd love to see y'all there!
DiscoSoup
Goblin

Postby DiscoSoup » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:49 pm

The Kickstarter campaign for the full version is here!
DiscoSoup
Goblin

Return to Oriental Adventures