Oriental adventure Spells and other classes.

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other oriental worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.

Oriental adventure Spells and other classes.

Postby Cliffrice » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:48 am

I was looking through 3.x oriental adventures and thought to myself they put no thought into the existing classes when they thought up the new spells in OA. Anyone have any suggestions as to which classes can learn the new spells? Many of them seem suitable for other classes but none are mentioned at all.

Any ideas or sources you can think of that address this?
Cliffrice
Troll

Re: Oriental adventure Spells and other classes.

Postby Cthulhudrew » Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:29 am

Good question. I can't think of any sources on that offhand (been a while, but I also don't really recall any discussions that might have gone that way. ENWorld would have been a likely source, but they've had so many server resets since then, I don't know if any of the original discussions would still be archived.)

I'd say a good rule of thumb would be to allow Wizards and Sorcerers access to the Wu Jen spells (albeit Sorcerers in the Rokugan setting that is the 3.0 OA baseline are supposed to select one list or the other). Clerics could use Shaman spells; I'd probably add all the Wood and Nature spells to the Druid spell list also. Paladins could access the Sohei list.

The Shugenja are an interesting case, as they are kind of part cleric, part elemental sorcerer. I know there are a couple of Shugenja only spells in there, so I'm not sure where they should end up. I guess I could see keeping them as Wizard/Sorcerer spells and then popping them into certain other lists where appropriate (perhaps you could create new clerical Domains for them or something?)

EDIT: It occurs to me that several of the classes were updated and/or otherwise revised in some of the later supplements (Wu Jen in Complete Arcane; Shugenja in Complete Divine). At least some of the spells were similarly revised in those supplements, and are listed in their descriptive entries with the PHB classes/levels they are available to (for some reason, they left off the new classes in those descriptions, and instead only note them under the Class List instead). With a bit of cross-referencing, you could piece it together. If you don't have any of those supplements, let me know, and I can try help out here. Some of them- notably the Wu Jen spells- look like they are partly or mostly still exclusive to the Wu Jen.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:45 am

Cthulhudrew wrote:EDIT: It occurs to me that several of the classes were updated and/or otherwise revised in some of the later supplements (Wu Jen in Complete Arcane; Shugenja in Complete Divine). At least some of the spells were similarly revised in those supplements, and are listed in their descriptive entries with the PHB classes/levels they are available to (for some reason, they left off the new classes in those descriptions, and instead only note them under the Class List instead). With a bit of cross-referencing, you could piece it together. If you don't have any of those supplements, let me know, and I can try help out here. Some of them- notably the Wu Jen spells- look like they are partly or mostly still exclusive to the Wu Jen.

Is the Spell Index any use?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Cliffrice » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:08 am

Hmm looks like several of the spells from OA are in complete Arcane and they kinda sporadically assign them but mostly only with regards to classes that appear in that book for the most part.
Cliffrice
Troll

Postby Cthulhudrew » Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:12 am

Cliffrice wrote:Hmm looks like several of the spells from OA are in complete Arcane and they kinda sporadically assign them but mostly only with regards to classes that appear in that book for the most part.

Some of them are also in Complete Divine (at least one, Fire Wings I think, is actually in both books, but I suppose it is because some of them were on both Wu Jen and Shugenja lists in OA so they had to reprint). It is kind of weird that they didn't expand the spells but just kept them similar.

Might be just easier to "rule of thumb" it and assign them as best fits so that the non-OA classes could also use them.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.
Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Return to Oriental Adventures