Shugenja in 5e

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other oriental worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.

Shugenja in 5e

Postby Dragonhelm » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:06 pm

One of my favorite classes from the 3e Oriental Adventures book is the shugenja. I love the feel of elemental magic, the kami, etc. There was an update in Complete Divine.

I was wondering how they might be converted to 5e. There is a conversion in Heroes of the Orient on the DMs Guild, which has a shugenja domain for the cleric, but I don't know if it feels right to me.

How would you do it? New class? Sorcerer subclass, similar to the favored soul? Mystic with wu jen subclass?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Re: Shugenja in 5e

Postby willpell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:46 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:One of my favorite classes from the 3e Oriental Adventures book is the shugenja. I love the feel of elemental magic, the kami, etc. There was an update in Complete Divine.

I was wondering how they might be converted to 5e. There is a conversion in Heroes of the Orient on the DMs Guild, which has a shugenja domain for the cleric, but I don't know if it feels right to me.

How would you do it? New class? Sorcerer subclass, similar to the favored soul? Mystic with wu jen subclass?

I think 5E badly needs new full classes. In this case, I think making each Element a subclass seems reasonable. You'd still be able to take some spells from other elements, but you'd specialize primarily in the main one, and likely use those elemental features more than you use your spells, much like the Warlock (though probably not to that extent).
willpell
White Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:44 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:How would you do it? New class? Sorcerer subclass, similar to the favored soul? Mystic with wu jen subclass?

If you did want to make a new class, it might be worth looking at Skip Williams's Shugenjas with Class article to see if your homebrew class still had the same sort of strenghts and weaknesses that Skip Williams highlighted.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby willpell » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:59 pm

Of interest, the Shugenja seems to have been one of the few 3E classes which worked the way all spellcasters work in 5E...which means that in order to keep them similar, they should get some sort of advantage over the existing spellcasting ability of Clerics. Maybe their Elements offer a larger list of "always prepared" spells than any Cleric domain.

They also get more skills than Clerics or Sorcerers, so in 3E terms they should get to pick a third skill (this makes them as good as rangers, which is maybe too good, but I think we should err in the direction of making a new character option better than it should be, rather than worse - players won't stop playing their existing rangers just because they're slightly less unique than they were).
willpell
White Dragon

Return to Oriental Adventures