Oriental Adventures in other campaign settings

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Kodyax
Troll

Re: Oriental Adventures in other campaign settings

Post by Kodyax » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:12 pm

A lot of the flavor and especially the Shadowlands. There's a threat in FR that might make the Red Wizards a tad concerned.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:20 pm

Kodyax wrote:A lot of the flavor and especially the Shadowlands. There's a threat in FR that might make the Red Wizards a tad concerned.
Well just remember, if the Shadowlands are a part of FR, then they've probably been there a LONG time. Therefore there's a good chance the Red Wizards would know about them and have strategies and spells to counter and even control the demons. (I'm not especially fond of "SURPRISE ATTACK!", especially in games where scry, teleport, & even flight are commonplace).
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

CmdrCorsiken
Stone Giant

Post by CmdrCorsiken » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:19 am

Except for its ongoing struggle with the Shadowlands, the Empire of Rokugan keeps itself rather issolated from other nations. So, if you especially like the setting/story associated with Rokugan, it shouldn't be too hard to drop it, mostly unmodified, into just about any setting. You just have to allow for the existance of the Shadowlands, or replace it with something else that fits.
My hat's off to the 'freaks.' Whenever I see their post counts, I feel like a go-cart at the Indy 500.

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:53 am

Heh, if Rokugan repalaces Kara-Tur to one degree or another I wonder how much the Harpers or other organizations might take notice if it were to look like the Shadowlands were about to overrun Rokugan and keep expanding.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:45 pm

Kodyax wrote:Heh, if Rokugan repalaces Kara-Tur to one degree or another I wonder how much the Harpers or other organizations might take notice if it were to look like the Shadowlands were about to overrun Rokugan and keep expanding.
Most powers, save maybe the Red Wizards, wouldn't be able to do much about it even if they did notice. Very few powers in FR could muster a large enough army to make a dent, and fewer still could move the army into a position to do anything.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:40 pm

One question might be in that scenario who becomes the greatest threat to freedom? The forces of the Shadowlands, the Red Wizards or the Zhentarim?

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:56 am

I made a map showing Kara-Tur on Oerth.

Kara-Tur should probably be at a higher latitude, though.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:14 am

ripvanwormer wrote:I made a map showing Kara-Tur on Oerth.

Kara-Tur should probably be at a higher latitude, though.

Sweet map Ripvanwormer, maybe it should be at a higher lattitude but it still works.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:43 am

Very nice, it reminds me of some of what I'm doing for my Pathfinder setting of Zu. As a long time gamer you know if I'm designing my own campaign world there BETTER be be an OA section.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:40 am

Kodyax wrote:Very nice, it reminds me of some of what I'm doing for my Pathfinder setting of Zu. As a long time gamer you know if I'm designing my own campaign world there BETTER be be an OA section.
Sweet keep us posted on it!

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:05 am

Well, one thing that I can say that's not going to be too much is that the world of Zu is one in which the standard fantasy races 9i.e. humans, elves, dwarves, etc.) are not present but replaced by anthropomorphic animal races. If you are familiar with the game of Iron Claw, that's one of the primary models I'm using as an example of a lot of things I want to get right and a lot of things I want to avoid like the plague. The folks who make IC patently refuse to make a D20 version of their game. So it falls to a schmuck like me to take the idea of what they were going for and build a campaign world around that notion.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:07 am

Kodyax wrote:Well, one thing that I can say that's not going to be too much is that the world of Zu is one in which the standard fantasy races 9i.e. humans, elves, dwarves, etc.) are not present but replaced by anthropomorphic animal races. If you are familiar with the game of Iron Claw, that's one of the primary models I'm using as an example of a lot of things I want to get right and a lot of things I want to avoid like the plague. The folks who make IC patently refuse to make a D20 version of their game. So it falls to a schmuck like me to take the idea of what they were going for and build a campaign world around that notion.
:lol: So which are your primary races?

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:12 pm

http://www.pathfinderdb.com/character-o ... g-ape-folk Just one of over 20 races that will be offered. Every race I have on the database will be allowed for PCs. I can share that because every race I have done so far has been in service to the furry community. The world of Zu will be the campaign world they come from.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:30 am

Kodyax wrote:http://www.pathfinderdb.com/character-o ... g-ape-folk Just one of over 20 races that will be offered. Every race I have on the database will be allowed for PCs. I can share that because every race I have done so far has been in service to the furry community. The world of Zu will be the campaign world they come from.
:cool: Excellent! That gives us a good homeworld/sphere to pull anthromporhic races from, definately a plus for me. "Kodyax, make it so!" (said in Cpt. Picard voice)

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:43 am

Azaghal wrote:
Kodyax wrote:http://www.pathfinderdb.com/character-o ... g-ape-folk Just one of over 20 races that will be offered. Every race I have on the database will be allowed for PCs. I can share that because every race I have done so far has been in service to the furry community. The world of Zu will be the campaign world they come from.
:cool: Excellent! That gives us a good homeworld/sphere to pull anthromporhic races from, definately a plus for me. "Kodyax, make it so!" (said in Cpt. Picard voice)
Slowly but surely it's all coming together. A heads up for anyone in or near where this event is taking place: www.furfright.org I will be running a scenario based on this very world if you want to take a look at I'll have so far.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:00 am

Kodyax wrote:Slowly but surely it's all coming together.
Hey, Kodyax. The Shattered Lands of Royodo developer has just arrived in the Dragonlance forum. :cool: You might want to check out the thread called: DL's Shattered Lands.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:14 am

Big Mac wrote:
Hey, Kodyax. The Shattered Lands of Royodo developer has just arrived in the Dragonlance forum. :cool: You might want to check out the thread called: DL's Shattered Lands.
:lol: And Big Mac beats me to the punch.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:55 pm

Azaghal wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
:lol: And Big Mac beats me to the punch.
Well, I have been interested in the Shattered Lands of Royodo since it was the Oriental Dragonlance Project.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:31 am

Okay I haven`t been a fan of it all that long (not knowing it existed) but I am now. In addition I`m working on the Stellar Shogunate of the Roaches. :D

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:07 am

Here's a thread about Oriental/East Asian Campaigns:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... n+Japanese
BlackBat242 wrote:If you can find these books, they will help immensely on coming to grips with uniquely Chinese fantasy:

http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/hughart.html
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/bar ... -birds.htm
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/bar ... -stone.htm
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/bar ... tlemen.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Hughart

I got all 3 (starting in 1989 with SoS, followed by finding BoB then buying 8SG when it was published), and cannot recommend them highly enough.

They really show how different Chinese culture is from Japanese.

Also, the books by Sean Russell do well... but they are huge, so they aren't for someone with little time and a deadline to meet.

The Initiate Brother and Gatherer of Clouds were influenced by the Tale of Genji, the old Samurai epics, and T'ang dynasty poetry. These two really set the whole culture and civilization out for viewing, and are really good stories as well.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:20 am

There are huge differences between China and Japan, in some ways feudal China is closer to feudal Europe than to Japanese culture. I'd really need to research it all better, but like everything else time, never enough time.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:23 am

Sarûnia has somewhat of an Oriental feel to it, this was unintentional from the beginning of the campaigns inception but it is starting to become more prominent. As an example, my anchorite and animist (as yet uncompleted, this class is the the campaigns equivalent to the shugenja) classes seem to do well to capture the high magic feel of the world while maintaining trueness to oriental concepts. Wildlings do well to capture the need for a player kitsune-type race as well as other animal-humanoid hybrids
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:02 am

BlackBat242 wrote:Here's a thread about Oriental/East Asian Campaigns:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... n+Japanese
BlackBat242 wrote:If you can find these books, they will help immensely on coming to grips with uniquely Chinese fantasy:

http://www.sfsite.com/~silverag/hughart.html
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/bar ... -birds.htm
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/bar ... -stone.htm
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/bar ... tlemen.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Hughart

I got all 3 (starting in 1989 with SoS, followed by finding BoB then buying 8SG when it was published), and cannot recommend them highly enough.

They really show how different Chinese culture is from Japanese.

Also, the books by Sean Russell do well... but they are huge, so they aren't for someone with little time and a deadline to meet.

The Initiate Brother and Gatherer of Clouds were influenced by the Tale of Genji, the old Samurai epics, and T'ang dynasty poetry. These two really set the whole culture and civilization out for viewing, and are really good stories as well.
Thanks BlackBat!

I really do like the idea of going beyond the China chapter in Legends & Lore.

combatmedic
Gnoll

Post by combatmedic » Fri May 25, 2012 7:29 am

I like the Kara Tur+ Oerik map.

The two continents fit well together, which may be because Kara Tur was intended to be located west of Oerik. It could also be a happy accident.

Kodyax
Troll

Post by Kodyax » Fri May 25, 2012 3:52 pm

I have been looking at how the Dragon Empires is put together for the Asian analog to my own world. Although in a normal campign I would kind of like to play a kitsune ranger.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”