Oriental Adventures in other campaign settings

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Oriental Adventures in other campaign settings

Post by Big Mac » Sat May 26, 2012 9:47 am

combatmedic wrote:I like the Kara Tur+ Oerik map.

The two continents fit well together, which may be because Kara Tur was intended to be located west of Oerik. It could also be a happy accident.
Right now, I'd be more interested in comparing Kara-Tur with Shaofeng, to see how much KT stuff could be recycled.
Kodyax wrote:I have been looking at how the Dragon Empires is put together for the Asian analog to my own world. Although in a normal campign I would kind of like to play a kitsune ranger.
I think that Paizo are lucky with Dragon Empires, as they can learn from the best Oriental Adventures stuff and quietly ignore anything they don't like (without being accused of "rebooting" anything by fans).
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:42 pm

(Hey all, poking my head in here for the first time.)

Let's not forget Freeport! There are scattered references to an Eastern culture in Freeport canon, but they're deliberately left vague in case you're using the city in an established campaign setting--just tie in those references to whatever Eastern-themed culture is already there.

On the other hand, if you want to use the optional "World of Freeport" setting, you'll have to do most of the fleshing out yourself. After briefly checking my Green Ronin books, here's where an Eastern land is mentioned in the product line:

Mindshadows details Naranjan, located to the southeast of Freeport, but is based on Southeast Asian cultures (India and Indonesia) rather than China or Japan. (This setting's bestiary is Monsters of the Mind.)

Denizens of Freeport includes a chaio NPC; this race first appeared in Jade Dragons and Hungry Ghosts, GR's Asian bestiary. Another monk NPC is from "a distant land," which might be Naranjan or some OA-like culture. (OTOH, Bill Sangapulatele is from the southern islands, which probably means either Naranjan or some unidentified Polynesian culture, rather than a "conventional" OA setting.)

Buccaneers of Freeport includes a pirate ship from "the Far East," with a crew that includes a monk as well as a wizard who is almost certainly a wu jen (but isn't called that, since OA and Complete Arcane aren't OGC). Only a few details are given about the culture, but it's the most extensive material ever given about an OA-style setting. The names used, and the ship itself are Chinese (or Chinese-inspired). This chapter also states that the League of Freemen includes many Eastern merchants and nobles. (The League didn't make the cut for the The Pirate's Guide to Freeport; see the v.3.0 Freeport: The City of Adventure instead.) One other ship featured in Buccaneers has a crewman from a far eastern land--almost certainly the same one.
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:44 am

timemrick wrote:Let's not forget Freeport! There are scattered references to an Eastern culture in Freeport canon, but they're deliberately left vague in case you're using the city in an established campaign setting--just tie in those references to whatever Eastern-themed culture is already there.
I'm not a fan of the "keep it vague" way of doing things. I'd rather be given an option I can ignore, than left to do half the work.
timemrick wrote:On the other hand, if you want to use the optional "World of Freeport" setting, you'll have to do most of the fleshing out yourself.
Green Ronin have done quite a lot of settings and I really do wish that more of them had been World of Freeport settings. With half of their name being "ronin" I'm disappointed that they don't seem to have done more oriental stuff.
timemrick wrote:After briefly checking my Green Ronin books, here's where an Eastern land is mentioned in the product line:

Mindshadows details Naranjan, located to the southeast of Freeport, but is based on Southeast Asian cultures (India and Indonesia) rather than China or Japan. (This setting's bestiary is Monsters of the Mind.)
Mindshadows is psionic, if I recall correctly. I've not got it yet. Is all of it based in Naranjan or is Naranjan just one area of many?
timemrick wrote:Denizens of Freeport includes a chaio NPC; this race first appeared in Jade Dragons and Hungry Ghosts, GR's Asian bestiary. Another monk NPC is from "a distant land," which might be Naranjan or some OA-like culture. (OTOH, Bill Sangapulatele is from the southern islands, which probably means either Naranjan or some unidentified Polynesian culture, rather than a "conventional" OA setting.)
I've just looked up Jade Dragons and Hungry Ghosts on Amazon and it looks frustratingly like a campaign setting with the setting removed. :|

I saw that there are two oriental gods in the book. Are they or any of the other elements conncted to other GR stuff, or is it just the chaio?

It looks like the elements are based on a variety of oriental cultures. Do they tie together well enough to be used in a single campaign? Are there plot hooks that tie one monster to another?
timemrick wrote:Buccaneers of Freeport includes a pirate ship from "the Far East," with a crew that includes a monk as well as a wizard who is almost certainly a wu jen (but isn't called that, since OA and Complete Arcane aren't OGC). Only a few details are given about the culture, but it's the most extensive material ever given about an OA-style setting. The names used, and the ship itself are Chinese (or Chinese-inspired). This chapter also states that the League of Freemen includes many Eastern merchants and nobles. (The League didn't make the cut for the The Pirate's Guide to Freeport; see the v.3.0 Freeport: The City of Adventure instead.) One other ship featured in Buccaneers has a crewman from a far eastern land--almost certainly the same one.
One of the frustrating things is that there was going to be an Oriental SRD. If that had happened, it might have opened up the genre to third party collaboration, the way that the normal SRD launched a number of d20 System settings. I'd have loved to have seen the 3PP all creating settings that tied into WotC rules, as that would have made it easier to mix and match.

Maybe Paizo will release an Oriental SRD for their Oriental Pathfinder book, at some point. :?

The Leagure of Freemen sounds like it could be interesting.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Big Mac wrote:I'm not a fan of the "keep it vague" way of doing things. I'd rather be given an option I can ignore, than left to do half the work.
Personally, I usually prefer to build my own worlds, but the original Freeport Trilogy got me hooked enough on the Lovecraftian elements of the setting to base my first 3E campaign there. I set Freeport in Lovecraft's Dreamlands for my first two campaigns, but decided to try out the World of Freeport info in the Pirate's Guide this time around. (And if I ever follow through on the Freeport LARP idea I have, I'll use that setting for it, too, mostly because it doesn't belong to anyone but GR.)
Big Mac wrote:Mindshadows is psionic, if I recall correctly. I've not got it yet. Is all of it based in Naranjan or is Naranjan just one area of many?
It's all based in Naranjan, which is a small continent. Most of it is controlled by one empire (Sudarsha, IIRC?), but there are still some independent regions.
Big Mac wrote:I've just looked up Jade Dragons and Hungry Ghosts on Amazon and it looks frustratingly like a campaign setting with the setting removed. :|

I saw that there are two oriental gods in the book. Are they or any of the other elements conncted to other GR stuff, or is it just the chaio?

It looks like the elements are based on a variety of oriental cultures. Do they tie together well enough to be used in a single campaign? Are there plot hooks that tie one monster to another?
It's a bestiary, nothing more. AFAIK, almost all of the monsters are drawn from the folklore of China, Japan, and elsewhere, so would fit into any oriental setting that matches those cultures. IIRC, a few monsters refer to other entries in the book, while some others (notably King of the Tengu) connect to monsters in OA.

I'm pretty sure the chaio is the only one that's made into Freeport canon, but many others would work perfectly well in that setting, even if there isn't a well-defined oriental culture in the world.

I did just realize (or was reminded of) one tiny problem with using Jade Dragons with OA: Because there is no Oriental SRD, the spirit subtype isn't used. But the DM can easily decide which monsters in the book qualify. (I need to determine some of that for myself soon, since I want more low-level options for encounters that will give my game's spirit shaman PC more opportunities to use her class abilities. But a few of Jade Dragons's minor undead should fit the bill nicely without seeming too out of place in Freeport.)
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”