[Rokugan] What Lot5R books have stuff "missing" from OA/3e?

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Rokugan] What Lot5R books have stuff "missing" from OA/3e?

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:27 pm

I'm primarily a 3rd Edition (D&D) fan, so was planning to concentrate on the Rokugan products aimed at those rules. But what non-D&D products are so good that it is worth me buying them and converting them to 3e D&D?

How much of the Legend of the Five Rings edition changes has been about rebooting existing content? And how many of the products have gone into new directions?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Rokugan] What Lot5R books have stuff "missing" from OA/

Post by Tim Baker » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:10 am

I've heard John Wick (the designer of 1e Lot5R) speak about how he designed the game mechanics to fit the story he wanted to tell. He's had fans come up to him and proudly show off tattoos of their favorite clans. That indicates to me that the fans for 1e are passionate about the world, but also that they couldn't have been turned off by the mechanics. A lot of games tried to adapt to d20 in the 2000's, and while the setting material might be similar, I suspect you "lose something in the translation." On the flip side, the content becomes approachable to a whole group of gamers who may never try the game if it weren't for the familiar mechanics.
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Rokugan] What Lot5R books have stuff "missing" from OA/

Post by Big Mac » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:03 pm

Tim Baker wrote:I've heard John Wick (the designer of 1e Lot5R) speak about how he designed the game mechanics to fit the story he wanted to tell. He's had fans come up to him and proudly show off tattoos of their favorite clans. That indicates to me that the fans for 1e are passionate about the world, but also that they couldn't have been turned off by the mechanics. A lot of games tried to adapt to d20 in the 2000's, and while the setting material might be similar, I suspect you "lose something in the translation." On the flip side, the content becomes approachable to a whole group of gamers who may never try the game if it weren't for the familiar mechanics.
From what I am told, Legend of the Five Rings was in some sort of financial trouble and WotC bought out the roleplaying side and then licenced it back to AEG. Including Rokugan in the 3e Oriental Adventures book (instead of Kara-Tur) presumably gave the setting a boost. And after Oriental Adventures was published by WotC, AEG was given a licence to publish the setting they had sold to WotC and published the Rokugan campaign setting hardback and followed that up with duel stat 3e/d20 System and 2e/Lot5R system books.

Presumably, if they had wanted to "absorb" the competition, WotC could have give a licence on condition that the Lot5R system was dropped, but WotC didn't do that and they eventually sold the setting back to it's original owners. AEG obviously prefer their own rules, as they have gone on to do another couple of editions of them.

I'm more interested in using the setting than the rules, but there must be some rules that are more "squishy" than "crunchy" and I would love to learn about those, because they might not be incompatible with D&D rules. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”