WotC had a plan for an Oriental SRD!

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

WotC had a plan for an Oriental SRD!

Post by Big Mac » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:22 pm

While looking for something else, I just stumbled into an interview with James Wyatt where he revealed that Wizards of the Coast were planning to release material from Oriental Adventures into the SRD!
James Wyatt wrote:
The Oriental Hardpoint wrote:I love OA but I do not play Rogukan so most of AEG's products are of little use to me. Are there any plans of releasing more OA stuff of a generic nature (like "Katana and Fist" :-) )? Will OA some day become open game content?

Anthony Valerra says, "It's on the list but there are at least a few products in front of it." I don't believe Wizards has any plans to do more OA products, but I'm sure that once it goes into the SRD there will be a lot of third-party material available. Green Ronin already did Jade Dragons & Hungry Ghosts, and I just saw another Asian-themed adventure (I can't remember the name of it or who did it, unfortunately) in my Friendly Local Game Store the other day.
That is an amazing thing to find out. I would have loved for WotC to have released an "Oriental SRD"! It would have made it so much easier for fans (and even commercial companies) to have made things that were compatible with Oriental Adventures.

On top of that an Oriental Adventures SRD would have been something that AEG themselves could have used to create a product line that could not "expire" like the Ravenloft and Dragonlance lines did. (The only things that would be dodgy would be the Oriental Adventures name and logo, and they could easily be kept to the covers and dropped from later printings of the books.)

Has anyone else heard anything about this SRD and why it might have been cancelled?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

waylander39
Troll

Re: WotC had a plan for an Oriental SRD!

Post by waylander39 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:37 am

Oh fantastic another great idea that went begging!!! The possibilities for what could have been done had this been produced are very intriguing. Is there a feeling amongst gamers that Oriental games are more of a niche market and not so "mainstream" as more popular fantasy set in a Westernized medieval culture? I just feel that with a few exceptions, Oriental fantasy is marginalised a bit in the gaming market.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:46 am

waylander39 wrote:Oh fantastic another great idea that went begging!!!
Every time I find out another one of these things about D&D, I get frustrated. If I was as rich as Bill Gates, I would definatly have bought out TSR, WotC or even Habro, just so that I could sort out all these frustrating things.

And I'm sure that a lot of this could have been done without costing WotC too much R&D capital. The Oriental SRD could have been made part of the agreement of the Oriental Adventures licence with AEG. And if they had an Oriental SRD, they might have continued to produce 3rd edition material for Rokugan after the licence expired. And that would have driven sales of the WotC core rulebooks. (In my opinion, selling three core rulebooks to asian RPG fans is far better than selling no rulebooks to them.)
waylander39 wrote:The possibilities for what could have been done had this been produced are very intriguing. Is there a feeling amongst gamers that Oriental games are more of a niche market and not so "mainstream" as more popular fantasy set in a Westernized medieval culture? I just feel that with a few exceptions, Oriental fantasy is marginalised a bit in the gaming market.
I don't know about other gamers, but I get the feel that westernised RPGs have campaign settings, while oriental RPGs seem to assume that having "ninjas and all that stuff" is a campaign setting.

That is why I find this aborted Oriental SRD so frustrating. Because, although I don't think that every publisher would have made an oriental setting, I'm pretty sure that there would have been a couple of publishers that created their own setting and sold stuff that could be ported over to Rokugan, Kara-Tur, Mahasarpa or anything else.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Given that Oriental mythology and culture are public domain, I wonder if it would be possible to use the WotC SRD to make an Oriental SRD.

EDIT: I know it would be legal, but I'm wondering how easy it would be.

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:53 am

Big Mac wrote:Given that Oriental mythology and culture are public domain, I wonder if it would be possible to use the WotC SRD to make an Oriental SRD.

Might not be that hard, look at the 2e Complete books for a comparision of the classes then work out how to replicate those ideas for an SRD.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Azaghal wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Given that Oriental mythology and culture are public domain, I wonder if it would be possible to use the WotC SRD to make an Oriental SRD.

Might not be that hard, look at the 2e Complete books for a comparision of the classes then work out how to replicate those ideas for an SRD.
I suppose so. But comparing the original OA and the new OA to their respective PHBs could also do the same sort of thing.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:40 am

At about the same effort as creating a comparable rulebook. Probably more so, if you plan on doing a ton of research. So figure something on the order of 3-9 months for about 3 people, longer if you don't intend to devote your life to the effort.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Azaghal
Green Dragon

Post by Azaghal » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:22 am

night_druid wrote:

At about the same effort as creating a comparable rulebook. Probably more so, if you plan on doing a ton of research. So figure something on the order of 3-9 months for about 3 people, longer if you don't intend to devote your life to the effort.

Sounds like a good time estimate to me. Depending how much you draw on already written sources.
Sean "Azaghal" Pennington

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:03 am

night_druid wrote:At about the same effort as creating a comparable rulebook. Probably more so, if you plan on doing a ton of research. So figure something on the order of 3-9 months for about 3 people, longer if you don't intend to devote your life to the effort.
If anyone's interested in doing it, might be worth checking out any OGL Oriental Adventures sources, and drawing on those mechanics. Not sure what/if there are any, but that is what the OGL was always meant for, after all.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:33 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:If anyone's interested in doing it, might be worth checking out any OGL Oriental Adventures sources, and drawing on those mechanics. Not sure what/if there are any, but that is what the OGL was always meant for, after all.
Great idea, as long as they have a good OGC/PI definition.

Teazia
Gnoll

Post by Teazia » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:09 am

How much OA type stuff has Pathfinder produced or other OGL games/systems. If there is enough to cull from there could be a basis for full "OA" SRD. Hell, just call it the OASRD :p

Sock Puppet
Troll

Post by Sock Puppet » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:20 am

Nearly a I can tell, the main PF issues for an OA SRD is:

Races

* hengeyokai. The Japanese translations are rather poor (especially "mujina") and need to diaf.
* Vanara
* Nezumi: ratkin; ratfolk
* Spirit Folk: Missing

Classes

The OA classes are generally weaksauce anyway, and PF does a better job.

Equipment

* Armour
* Weapons
Last edited by Sock Puppet on Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:46 am

There are also the Pathfinder ratfolk for a PF "official" sort of nezumi race.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:13 pm

The main advantage you would have with Pathfinder vs 3.5 or 3.0 is that Wizards of the Coast do not (at least not yet) publish for it*. That means that everything published for it (including everything published by Paizo) is going to be covered by the Open Gaming Licence. (WotC could always play the: "There is no Open Game Content in this book" card. Third party publishers can not do that without a special agreement with WotC. Paizo have not got a special agreement, so the OGC of Paizo is not restricted only to the core.)

* = Actually, even if WotC amazed us by putting out Pathfinder RPG compatible products, they would still have more Open Game Content than their own D&D range. Third party support for Pathfinder RPG is based on Paizo's update to the SRD. WotC would need to use the OGL to gain access to that and would therfore need to design the entire (hypothetical) book to comply with the OGL.

There might be some publishers that create what some people call "crippled OGC content" (where all the names get a PI definition that makes it harder to reuse things). I don't know the market well enough to know. But even if some publishers crippled their content, it would still be easy to grab a lot of "Oriental" material and throw it together with the Pathfinder version of the SRD.

It would also be legal to retro-convert Pathfinder RPG stuff to 3.5 or 3.0 rules and create an SRD compatible with WotC's SRD. (The same could also be done for retro-clone games that use the OGL.)

Michael Tumey
Bugbear

Post by Michael Tumey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:44 pm

Sock Puppet wrote:Nearly a I can tell, the main PF issues for an OA SRD is:

Races

* hengeyokai. The Japanese translations are rather poor (especially "mujina") and need to diaf.
* Vanara
* Nezumi: ratkin; ratfolk
* Spirit Folk: Missing

Classes

The OA classes are generally weaksauce anyway, and PF does a better job.

Equipment

* Armour
* Weapons
The Hengeyokai link above, are the henge for the Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG), since Paizo has yet to put out material for henge. Regarding the Japanese translations, I am half Japanese and am the Japan expert (though I don't speak Japanese) among Rite Publishing freelancers, I also am a contributing author for the Jade Regent AP, The Empty Throne - I created the City of Kasai map and much of the city of Kasai gazetteer. As far as I know, with both Japanese/English dictionaries, and a couple Japan expert advisors, my translations are correct. The folklore derived material in Kaidan is far more authentic to Japanese folklore than either OA or AE material.

Regarding the missing Spirit Folk, you mention. Kaidan doesn't include spirit folk, as Kaidan is extremely authentic to Japanese folklore and there's no such thing as spirit folk in Japanese lore. Other publishers may update OA spirit folk, and post it to d20pfsrd.com, so it may appear eventually, but most of the Japanese based game material that is not directly Paizo created are all Kaidan material, at least on d20pfsrd.com

Big Mac asked if I'd considered providing an SRD for Kaidan material. My best answer for that is that I will continue to provide Kaidan OGL material to d20pfsrd.com, so that exists now. Included so far are various Japan-based archetypes for barbarian, bard, cavalier (tengu), cleric, druid, fighter, magus, paladin, rogue, samurai, sorcerer bloodlines, and wizard. We will have archetypes for ninja, oracle (mikko shrine maiden), and witch (mahou-tsukai) soon enough. At the bottom of each listed class on d20pfsrd.com, the archetypes under Rite Publishing are these. Various feats are listed under Rite Publishing feats, but these aren't differentiated to a specifically oriental section, you have to peruse all the listed Rite feats to find those specific to Kaidan. Under 3rd party races, you'll find kappa, henge, and tengu with links to specific racial archetypes, feats and weapons on the race pages. Also under Variant rules 3rd party (Rite Publishing) you'll find: Honor as a mechanic, creating a samurai clan and creating a yakuza gang.

I don't really have the time to create and administrate a wiki-srd (too much work) with the existing design, development, writing, and cartography tasks I already do. I would have to curtail my existing workload to do a wiki-srd, so for the time being, the best I'll provide is material posted on d20pfsrd.com

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:40 pm

Michael Tumey wrote:I don't really have the time to create and administrate a wiki-srd (too much work) with the existing design, development, writing, and cartography tasks I already do. I would have to curtail my existing workload to do a wiki-srd, so for the time being, the best I'll provide is material posted on d20pfsrd.com
And that is a great enough thing.

If someone else wants to construct an Oriental SRD from your work, the OGL should allow them to do that.

And if certain things (that you have decided not to create, for whatever reasons) are not in the OGL you have created, then that would just mean those things would not be in that SRD.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”