[Dragon Fist] Who owns it?

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

[Dragon Fist] Who owns it?

Post by Havard » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:24 pm

I know this world was created by Chris Pramas and released as a freebie by WotC, but who owns the setting now? Something Big Mac said seemed to suggest WotC does not own the world?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Re: [Dragon Fist] Who owns it?

Post by Cthulhudrew » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:08 pm

I'm fairly certain that Chris Pramas still owns the rights. I know that at one point he had mentioned the possibility of releasing it as a True20 campaign setting, but I don't know if that ever occurred or not.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:43 pm

Cthulhudrew wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:08 pm
I'm fairly certain that Chris Pramas still owns the rights. I know that at one point he had mentioned the possibility of releasing it as a True20 campaign setting, but I don't know if that ever occurred or not.
AFAIK, WotC sold the rights to Pramas. However, it seems other ventures required Pramas' attention, and he did not go back to the project of a re-release of DragonFist.

GP

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:15 am

Havard wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:24 pm
I know this world was created by Chris Pramas and released as a freebie by WotC, but who owns the setting now? Something Big Mac said seemed to suggest WotC does not own the world?
Green Ronin put out this press release in November 2002: Dragon Fist:
Nikchick at the Green Ronin forums wrote:The press release announcing our latest acquisition:

GREEN RONIN PURCHASES DRAGON FIST
Origins Awarded Nominated Game to Come Back in 2003

November 4, 2002—SEATTLE, WA: Green Ronin Publishing today announced that it has signed a purchase agreement with Wizards of the Coast for the Dragon Fist RPG. Chris Pramas, Green Ronin’s founder and President, designed Dragon Fist when he worked at Wizards of the Coast. Although only released electronically, the game was nominated for an Origins Award in 2000. A new edition of Dragon Fist is scheduled for Summer 2003.

“I’ve been waiting a long time for Dragon Fist to see print,” said Chris Pramas, “and I’d like to thank Anthony Valterra of Wizards of the Coast for making it possible.”

Dragon Fist is the fantasy game of martial arts action. Inspired by classic Hong Kong wuxia and martial arts films like Come Drink With Me, One Armed Swordsman, Bride With White Hair, and A Chinese Ghost Story, as well as Chinese mythology and folklore, Dragon Fist propels players into the land of Tianguo, where they face the corrupt emperor and his nefarious eunuch sorcerers.

“A huge number of people downloaded Dragon Fist on release and that was before Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon showed America how rich the wuxia tradition is,” added Pramas.

Like all Green Ronin releases since the groundbreaking Death in Freeport, Dragon Fist will take advantage of Wizards of the Coast’s Open Game License.

Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS), is the worldwide market share leader in the trading card game and tabletop roleplaying game categories. A leading developer and publisher of game-based entertainment products, the company holds an exclusive patent on the method of playing trading card games (TCGs) and produces the world's best-selling Pokémon® and Magic: The Gathering® TCGs and publishes adventure games, family card and board games and electronic media products. Wizards of the Coast is also one of the world's premier book publishers of fantasy series fiction whose novels have made numerous appearances on The New York Times best-seller list and have sold millions of copies worldwide. For more information, visit the Wizards of the Coast website at wizards.com.

Green Ronin Publishing is a d20 System pioneer. Its adventure Death in Freeport was released on the same day as the 3E Player’s Handbook and went on to win the Origins Award for Best Roleplaying Adventure of 2000. Since then Green Ronin has led the pack of d20 companies, with acclaimed products such as Legions of Hell and the Book of the Righteous. Point your browser to www.greenronin.com for more info.

Green Ronin Media Contact
Nicole Lindroos
nicole@greenronin.com
So it should still belong to Green Ronin...unless they have sold it on.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”