Oriental Lands in Different Settings

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Oriental Lands in Different Settings

Post by Havard » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:36 am

Which of the other settings represented on the Piazza have "Oriental" type regions, official or unofficial?

FORGOTTEN REALMS MYSTARA
  • Ochalea
  • Myoshima
  • Sind
  • Shajapur
  • Rakasta Cultures (Various)
DRAGONLANCE GREYHAWK
  • Shaofeng/Sufang (aka "China")
Ravenloft
  • Rokushima Taiyoo (Japanese)
  • Sri Raji (Indian)
  • I'Cath (Chinese).
    More details in this thread
Legend of the Five Rings/7th Sea
  • Rokugan (L5R)
  • Cathay (Theah)
MAHASARPA What else?

-Havard
Last edited by Havard on Fri May 11, 2018 10:58 am, edited 9 times in total.

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Sock Puppet
Troll

Re: Oriental Lands in Different Settings

Post by Sock Puppet » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:45 am

Greyhawk doesn't really have a canon oriental society as such. Fanonically, there is supposed to be a huge G-China far to the west.

Scarlet Brotherhood has some oriental undertones, although it's more like a nation under the thumb of shaolin monks allied with a guild of assassins (subtle nod to the hashishin of the Middle East, perhaps). The civilian population is ethnically Flan with Suloise immigrants, but there's nothing to indicate the underlying culture, once the rulers are removed, is anything other than generic/European/medieval/fantastical.
I am Ashtagon's sock puppet account.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:39 pm

Greyhawk's "Oriental" lands are known as Sufang in the Gord series (Night Arrant) and as Shaofeng in Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk. The map in the Dragon Annual #1 refers to the Celestial Imperium. The names are some degree of canon, but we know little else about them, except that there are "lung" dragons found there.
Last edited by ripvanwormer on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:41 pm

ripvanwormer wrote:Greyhawk's "Oriental" lands are known as Sufang in the Gord series (Night Arrant) and as Shaofeng in Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk. The map in the Dragon Annual #1 refers to the Celestial Imperium. The names are some degree of canon, but we know little else about them.
How does that map mesh with the D&D Chainmail (3e) setting?

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:46 pm

Havard wrote:How does that map mesh with the D&D Chainmail (3e) setting?
Oerth's "oriental" lands are in between the Chainmail setting and the Flanaess. The Chainmail setting is in the western portion: the nation labeled "Elven lands" in Dragon Annual #1 is Ravilla in Chainmail and the "Kingdoms of the Marches" in Dragon Annual #1 are the "Disputed Regions" in Chainmail.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:36 pm

Havard wrote:Which of the other settings represented on the Piazza have "Oriental" type regions, official or unofficial?

DRAGONLANCE
Ryodo
What Dragonlance products reference to Royodo?
Last edited by Angel Tarragon on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:41 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:
Havard wrote:Which of the other settings represented on the Piazza have "Oriental" type regions, official or unofficial?

DRAGONLANCE
Ryodo
What Dragonlance products reference to Ryodo?
Its only a fan based creation AFAIK. More details here:
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopi ... =17&t=4235

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:36 pm

Havard wrote: MYSTARA
Ochalea
Myoshima
Would you also consider Ethengar to fall under this category? If so, then I'd also include Akkila Khan's goblinoid horde.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:45 am

Havard wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:

DRAGONLANCE
Ryodo
What Dragonlance products reference to Ryodo?
Its only a fan based creation AFAIK. More details here:
http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewtopi ... =17&t=4235
The project has had several names. It started off as ODL (Oriental Dragonlance), was Royodo, was Shattered Lands of Royodo and now seems to be The Shattered Lands.

The project has also had a few restarts. It started off as a one-man-band thing, then Nael recruited a few helpers and was following in the footsteps of the Adlatum team, finally they decided to switch from 3e to 4e.

The name changes mean that you might have heard of the project under one of its older names, but not the current one. The changes in the structure of the project mean that Nael has taken it back to the drawing board a few times. I think the move to a collaborative process was really great for The Shattered Lands.

The move to 4e is great for 4e fans, but as someone who was hoping to get both Adlatum and The Shattered Lands printed and added to my MWP Dragonlance collection, I'm a bit sad that the Oriental project is not going to be compatible any more. (I would have preferred for them to have finished the 3e version first and then done a 4e update to go with a WotC or Dragonlance Nexus update of DL to 4e.)

BTW: Dragonlance Forums have a subforum for The Shattered Lands.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:47 am

FORGOTTEN REALMS
Kara-Tur

MYSTARA
Ochalea
Myoshima

DRAGONLANCE
Ryodo

GREYHAWK
Shaofeng/Sufang (aka "China")

THEAH (L5R)
Rokugan

What else?
SPELLJAMMER
Shou Lung (Kara-Tur explorers that hail from Toril)
Wa (Kara-Tur space navy found around Toril)
Worshipers of The Path and The Way, The Path and The Way (a universal religion)

Like most parts of Spelljammer, these elements are not fully developed.

The Shou Lung is best developed of the three races and is tied into a "core" spaceship (the Dragonship) and the concept of the 5th type of world (the Liveworld). The Shou Lung are known to be in Realmspace, but are also mentioned in SJR7 Krynnspace and a few other products.

Some Shou Lung ships have gone rogue (especially if they have found out that the emperor that sent them into wildspace has died and been replaced with a rival). This does not seem quite right to me, as it would appear to be a breach of honour. But the canon mentions them.

The Wa ships are only up there to stop the Shou Lung from attacking their territory with ships. They have also fought with the Elven Navy. Apart from that, I can't see them having much of an impact on the Known Spheres. They might not even be known outside Realmspace.

The Path and The Way (aka The Path aka The Way) is one of the universal religions of Spelljammer. So that means that the religious part of oriental culture has spread to all parts of the Known Spheres. It is described as coming from "the Oriental groundling nations". I'm still trying to decide if that means that SJ is suggesting that multiple worlds have oriental areas.

To be honest, I think that this is a very weak area of the SJ setting. I think it should have been used more in the foreground. There should have been PC options for oriental space PCs. But it is more of a background thing. Even in the Cloakmaster Cycle Novels, the oriental factions were only ever shown as ships in a large battle.

I think that SJ's Adventures in Space boxed set or SJR6 Greyspace could have been the perfect opportunity to namecheck Shaofeng/Sufang as one of the places that the explorers of Shou Lung visit, as they travel through Greyspace.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:22 am

Big Mac wrote:The project has had several names. It started off as ODL (Oriental Dragonlance), was Royodo, was Shattered Lands of Royodo and now seems to be The Shattered Lands.
Oriental Dragonlance Adventures is a separate project from Shattered Lands. I don't think that Nael used the ODL name, but I could be wrong.

The project is, effectively, dead. Pity, I thought he had something good going.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:25 am

Don't forget about Pathfinder's Oriental lands, the Dragon Empires of Tian Xia. This area is featured in the Jade Regent adventure path.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:24 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Big Mac wrote:The project has had several names. It started off as ODL (Oriental Dragonlance), was Royodo, was Shattered Lands of Royodo and now seems to be The Shattered Lands.
Oriental Dragonlance Adventures is a separate project from Shattered Lands. I don't think that Nael used the ODL name, but I could be wrong.
Yep. You are wrong. It wasn't Oriental Dragonlance Adventures. It was a standalone website called ODL - Royodo Lands of the Dragon Throne. Nael was doing it all on his own (in 3e rules) and got quite far into it before going back to square one with the Shattered Lands concept, that he worked on with users of the Dragonlance Forums. Later on he modified the name of Shattered Lands, to put Royodo back in there.

I got quite frustrated when he decided to switch to 4e, as he and the people working with him went all the way back to square one again*. So he has invented the thing three times (and given himself a lot of work). Although it looks like he has gotten less far than the Adlatum Project team, I think the fact he has done this three times means he may have actually done more work than them.

* = Mind you, I was hoping for a 3e netbook, that I could get printed as a hardback (along with Adlatum Campaign Setting) and put alongside my commercial 3e Dragonlance books.
Dragonhelm wrote:The project is, effectively, dead. Pity, I thought he had something good going.
I thought that the way that Nael put a lot of effort into taking the 3e Oriental Adventures material and giving it a Dragonlance makeover (and the way that he also took Dragonlance material and gave it an Oriental Adventures makeover) was really well done.

Even with the process stalled, I would suggest that his work would be something that someone wanting to make oriental lands for other campaign settings should look too.

I am hoping that Nael will restart Shattered Lands at some point.

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:16 pm

Calidar - Lao Kwei (a whole planet!)
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:23 am

Havard wrote:THEAH (L5R)
Rokugan
Theah is the world of the 7th Sea/Swashbuckling Adventures campaign setting. It isn't connected to the Legend of the Five Rings setting.

There is an Asian-style land in Theah, but I can't recall the name of it off the top of my head.

Also, you need to add Mahasarpa the campaign setting in the Oriental Adventures Web Enhancement.

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:54 pm

Havard, can you correct your original post to spell Royodo correctly? There is an o missing.

Also, can you update your list please?

Thanks!
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:54 pm
Havard, can you correct your original post to spell Royodo correctly? There is an o missing.

Also, can you update your list please?

Thanks!
Fixed. Added a link too :)

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Mon May 07, 2018 9:56 pm

Ravenloft realms added based on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19647&p=212565#p212565

-Havard

The Blackmoor Blog
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue May 08, 2018 7:39 pm

The first monster manual lists Rakshasa as coming from "India". While this is probably just bad editing, it's interesting to consider whether Greyhawk has some sort of analogue to India on Oerth, which was simply called India in early editions because they hadn't made up a name for it.

Coronoides
Dragon Sage

Post by Coronoides » Tue May 08, 2018 8:32 pm

And of course there are the Domains of the various Asian deities in Planescape.
Need to convert races to D&D 5e? mathematical analysis of canon races and design rules: http://www.dmsguild.com/product/232813/ ... rs-Toolkit

Conversion & Review of Council of Wryms with dragon PCs compatible with other 5e settings (at level 5+). DRAFT: Book 1 https://www.dropbox.com/s/fz4zql2yhlyut ... 8.pdf?dl=0 and Book 2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n3i5bki6svae ... 0.pdf?dl=0

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Tue May 08, 2018 9:43 pm

For Mystara, Sind and Shahjapur also apply, as well as several Rakasta cultures of the Bay of Tangor.

GP

The Dark
Troll

Post by The Dark » Fri May 11, 2018 1:28 am

Big Mac wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:23 am
Havard wrote:THEAH (L5R)
Rokugan
Theah is the world of the 7th Sea/Swashbuckling Adventures campaign setting. It isn't connected to the Legend of the Five Rings setting.

There is an Asian-style land in Theah, but I can't recall the name of it off the top of my head.
Cathay. It received a book during the Swashbuckling Adventures era.

Birthright doesn't have one, and now that makes me sad because I think the domain play would emulate the courtly intrigues of that genre just as well as the late medieval European genre that was used.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”