Anime and Wuxia Films as Inspiration

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Anime and Wuxia Films as Inspiration

Post by Dragonhelm » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:25 am

What are some good anime and wuxia movies that would serve as inspiration for an OA-themed game?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Idabrius
Hill Giant

Re: Anime and Wuxia Films as Inspiration

Post by Idabrius » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:19 am

Hero is an obvious choice right off the bat. I know there are a lot more out there, but I can't think of many off the top of my head. Try putting Hero into Netflix and seeing what comes up.

10th Age books on Lulu
10th Age and 2e downloads on the Frothing Mug

Moderator of the Homebrew, Birthright, Planescape, Dark Sun, and the Orc's Revenge boards. My moderator voice is green.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:41 am

Dragonhelm wrote:What are some good anime and wuxia movies that would serve as inspiration for an OA-themed game?
Depending on the type of game you're looking to play, I'd say "12 Kingdoms" or "Seirei No Moribito." If you're looking for something a bit lighter, there's always "Ranma 1/2" ;)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Chimpman
Hadozee

Post by Chimpman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:14 pm

Cool... I've got 12 Kingdoms lined up on my Netflix list... just waiting for the mood to strike me to play it.

I wouldn't classify these as wuxia, but they still may be inspirational to an OA game:
Ran
Seven Samurai
The Warlords
Red Cliff (which does have some wuxia elements to the fighting)

I've got a bunch of things queued up that I haven't had the chance to see yet, but look promising:
Warring States
Three Kingdoms
Legend of the Tsunami Warrior
Ong Bak (1, 2 and 3)
The Emperor and the Assassin
Kingdom of War (1 and 2)
Shaolin
13 Assassins
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:13 am

I have been itching to run a semi-historical/mythic China game, inspired by films like:
Hero
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
House of Flying Daggers
Curse of the Golden Flower

these are the absolute best IMO

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:28 am

The DragonFist AD&D variant by Chris Pramas (recommended) has a good set of reference movies, mostly from the '80ies and '90ies, including the following:
The Bride with White Hair
Burning Paradise
A Chinese Ghost Story
Dragon Gate Inn
Encounters of the Spooky Kind
Mr. Vampire
New Legend of Shaolin
Swordsman II
Tai-Chi Master
Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain

rabindranath72
White Dragon

Post by rabindranath72 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:54 am

Yes DragonFist is very very good, and it's aimed explicitly at the Wuxia genre, so for a Chinese-inspired campaign, it should work well.
Sadly, Oriental Adventures (both the 1e and 3e versions) is more inspired by Japanese myth, though some of the concepts work in both type of settings, and some monsters are definitely Chinese in inspiration.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Wow....Wonderful thread! I've got some stuff to watch now (and to review on YouTube :twisted: )
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:44 pm

Kung-Fu Hustle? ;)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:42 pm

agathokles wrote:A Chinese Ghost Story
This one is pretty cool :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:28 pm

Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Wow....Wonderful thread! I've got some stuff to watch now (and to review on YouTube :twisted: )
are you going to review them as films, or review them as inspiration for Oriental Adventures material?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:11 am

Big Mac wrote:
Twin Agate Dragons wrote:Wow....Wonderful thread! I've got some stuff to watch now (and to review on YouTube :twisted: )
are you going to review them as films, or review them as inspiration for Oriental Adventures material?
Both!
When I hit 8,888 posts you're going to see some serious sh*t. :P

Social Media

Nate Christen
Troll

Post by Nate Christen » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:13 pm

I'll throw in Princess Mononoke as one that influences my vision for a campaign.

-Nate
Author of d20pirates.blogspot.com and talesfromtheedgeoftheempire.blogspot.com

Michael Tumey
Bugbear

Post by Michael Tumey » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:21 pm

I'm not an anime/manga nor wuxia fan, rather prefering the older, darker or more historically accurate movies: Owl Castle, Kwaidan, Yotsuya. For Japanese anime, however, Spirited Away is very cool, though more mystical than chanbara. Also kind of comical is the series of movies for Zatoichi - a blind bushi swordsman's adventures with many dealings with Yakuza.

vito
Orc

Post by vito » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:44 pm

How is it that nobody has mentioned Master of the Flying Guillotine yet?

timemrick
Hekatonkhieres

Post by timemrick » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:04 pm

I'm no expert on either anime or wuxia, and most of the ones I know have already been mentioned, but here are a couple more suggestions.

The anime series Rurouni Kenshin contains a startling variety of martial artists, from swordsmen to brawlers to ninja. The setting is fairly late (Meiji, after Japan has been opened to the West), but the modern elements only occasionally intrude into the samurai-culture story.

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor isn't wuxia, but its over-the-top action and "ancient horrors awaken" plotline seem perfectly made for inspiring, say, a Shadowlands adventure. And really, what gamer hasn't seen ancient Chinese terra cotta warriors and thought, "That would make an awesome golem army!" :D
Tim Emrick, Green Ronin Freebooter and Keeper of the Freeport Errata
Time of the Tarrasque: My homebrew Pathfinder campaign (2017-).
Studded Plate: My blog about RPGs and LEGO.
Thastygliax's Vault: My other gaming pages.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:27 am

Samurai Champloo is a pretty good anime about wandering swordsmen in a land only vaguely acquainted with gunpowder (there are some guns, which might be good in a setting like Golarion or Toril where gunpowder or smokepowder weapons exist, but aren't common). It's realistic rather than fantastic (the kenku are humans dressed in costumes), but it's an enjoyable show with a lot of period detail. Probably ignore the baseball episode.

InuYasha might be worth a look for a setting with multiple clans of shapeshifting animal spirits and a grotesque demon lord who continually evolves and spawns new kinds of demons (yokai) as the series goes on. I can see a D&D campaign set up along similar lines. The way the main characters are constantly increasing in power, with their nemesis Naraku continually evolving to stay just out of their reach until whenever you want the campaign to end, is a reasonable parallel to the way leveling happens in D&D, though the characters are generally far more powerful than anything you'd want in a D&D game. The way shrine priestesses work in this show offers obvious inspiration for how the D&D cleric class would work in a similar setting, and I can totally see an Oriental Adventures campaign involving hunting down pieces of the Shikon Jewel and trying to defeat Naraku. You could create a version with a toned-down power level where the animal spirits (hengeyokai) of the show are replaced with Oriental Adventures-style hengeyokai, not really any more powerful than humans but with cultures and viewpoints of their own, and with Weapons of Legacy-style magic swords that level up with the player characters.

Ninja Scroll is also worth a look.

As far as live action goes, I'd recommend:

The original Drunken Master with Jackie Chan. I think it's way more fun than Legend of the Drunken Master, the sequel he did that got all preachy.
Iron Monkey, which also includes Wong Fei-hung, the character Jackie Chan parodied in Drunken Master, as a small child.
Swordsman II with Jet Li.
The Forbidden Kingdom with both Jet Li and Jackie Chan was really just The Wizard of Oz set in ancient China, but is worth seeing as a general overview of Chinese legendary tropes.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”