My Pixie Samurai

A place where the monk class won't feel like an oddball. Kara-Tur can be discussed in the FR sub-forum. Rokugan, Mahasarpa and other Asian-themed worlds can be discussed here.
The Book-House: Find Oriental Adventures products.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

My Pixie Samurai

Post by Dragonhelm » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:20 am

In OA2 Night of the Seven Swords, there's this encounter with a tiny fisherman. He's a 2" tall samurai named Sunsho Daji. I was always enamored with the little guy, and he quickly became a part of our adventuring party.

So here it is, years later, and I got inspired by the 4e pixie in Heroes of the Feywild. A lot of things kind of fit, and so now I'm re-imagining him as a pixie.

I commissioned some art recently, and I wanted to share the results. Note his needle katana. :)

Without further ado...

Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: My Pixie Samurai

Post by Havard » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:47 am

I like it!

My first instinct was to say that Pixies dont sound very "Oriental", but I like how the illustration has been able to preserve the clearly OA flavour! :)

Did you make this yourself Trampas?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:03 pm

Havard wrote:Did you make this yourself Trampas?
He commissioned it. ;)
Dragonhelm wrote:I commissioned some art recently, and I wanted to share the results.
Social Media & Extended Signature

Pathfinder 2E
The ABCs of Character Creation
Product Catalog

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:04 pm

I have to say that I like this very much. :cool:

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:19 pm

Ah, my bad for posting that before my morning coffee. ;)

Thanks TAD!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis
Location: by the saline water - formerly in the Grand Valley of the Rivers

Post by BlackBat242 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:39 pm

It doesn't matter that he is a pixie, and uses those wings to fly... having them outside his armor as in that illustration guarantees that they will be badly damaged if he ever gets hit.

He needs something like a shield, mounted on the back of the armor but out a little ways from it, so that his wings can fold up under it and be protected, but still open out to allow him to fly.

The area under this wing-shield doesn't need much (if any) armor, so it shouldn't mess up his balance or add much extra weight/encumbrance.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

"Buffy, Blade... its up to you now." George Takei

The only time a Vampire should sparkle is right before they explode

Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Post by Angel Tarragon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Havard wrote:Ah, my bad for posting that before my morning coffee. ;)

Thanks TAD!
I make it a rule to brew coffee and bring it to the desk before logging on. :P

Pathfinder 2E
Product Catalog

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:22 am

Havard wrote:Did you make this yourself Trampas?
Unfortunately, I can't draw worth spit. :P

Just wanted to say thanks for the kind words. The artist is Antonio Guamil Jr. I went through a site called RPGCharacterIllustrations.com. I had one other art piece from them and had a really good experience. The guy who runs it treats every character with respect. I thought my little pixie may sound goofy, but he treated him with absolute respect. The prices are fairly reasonable too. So I've become a repeat customer. :D
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:03 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:It doesn't matter that he is a pixie, and uses those wings to fly... having them outside his armor as in that illustration guarantees that they will be badly damaged if he ever gets hit.

He needs something like a shield, mounted on the back of the armor but out a little ways from it, so that his wings can fold up under it and be protected, but still open out to allow him to fly.

The area under this wing-shield doesn't need much (if any) armor, so it shouldn't mess up his balance or add much extra weight/encumbrance.
Good point, but at 2 inches high, most opponents will probably be trying to stomp on him.

This would probably come much more into play when a samurai pixie fights other pixies and similar sized critters.

The 3e pixie (from the SRD) has a favoured class of sorcerer (and also has spell-like abilities - with one in ten being able to use Irresistible Dance on opponents). Perhaps this is an indication that pixies live in a society where magic is common. If that is the case, maybe availability of wing-protecting magic would be something that was logical. Magic to repair, regrow or even replace wings may also be something that was logical.

Another possibility is that "concealing your wings during combat" may be seen as a form of cowardice by certain pixies and regarded as a taboo that some pixies will not break.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Post by BlackBat242 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:30 am

I can see that.

Since I run 1E AD&D (with a few minor 2E influences), and only play 1E & 2E, the only place these guys could show up would be as an NPC encounter for the party (and possible opponent, if the PCs are nasty)... but I do like them for a local "different" tribe of Pixies (somewhere in the wilderness of the Oriental Lands in my "self-created" world).

Tread carefully where rings of flowers grow, and treat the tiny folk kindly... if you want to live.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
"I have a catapult. Give me your money or I will hurl a large rock at your head".

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:19 pm

BlackBat242 wrote:Since I run 1E AD&D (with a few minor 2E influences), and only play 1E & 2E, the only place these guys could show up would be as an NPC encounter for the party (and possible opponent, if the PCs are nasty)... but I do like them for a local "different" tribe of Pixies (somewhere in the wilderness of the Oriental Lands in my "self-created" world).
I do sometimes wonder if some of the 3e rules could be retro-converted to 2e and 1e.

I quite like the idea of monster races being playable (although I treat them strictly as "only with the GMs permission" races). I think that a GM might need to adjust plots to get them to work, and that is probably something that 1e adventures would not be designed for.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

BlackBat242
Dire Haggis

Post by BlackBat242 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:47 am

Big Mac wrote:I do sometimes wonder if some of the 3e rules could be retro-converted to 2e and 1e.

I quite like the idea of monster races being playable (although I treat them strictly as "only with the GMs permission" races). I think that a GM might need to adjust plots to get them to work, and that is probably something that 1e adventures would not be designed for.
:mrgreen:

Well, since in the 27¾ years I have been DM'ing 1E AD&D I have yet to use a module or adventure someone else* wrote, I don't think this would be a problem.

:mrgreen:

* That includes the modules in Dragon magazine, published modules, etc.

Return to “Oriental Adventures”