[Realmspace] What does FRCG say about the Phlogiston?

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: night_druid, Big Mac

[Realmspace] What does FRCG say about the Phlogiston?

Postby Big Mac » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:25 am

Zeromaru X said this over in the "Nentir Vale and beyond: locales, cities and other region" topic in the Nentir Vale forum:
Zeromaru X wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I think there is probably a slight rebooting of the Spelljammer universe here, as the phlogiston is not mentioned, but the suggestions I have previously seen of spelljamming ships travelling through the Astra Sea instead of wildspace are not correct. Travel within the black "Nerathspace" crystal sphere should work exactly the same as it did during 2nd Edition (and 3rd Edition).

Now that I recall about it, although the phlogiston its not mentioned in the "core world" 4e books, it's mentioned in the 4e Forgotten Realms campaign setting as something that exists "outside/beyond" (in a cosmological sense) the Astral Sea.

Seeing the philosophy of "take whatever you want from other settings" the Points of Light setting has, I guess if you want to create an spelljammer campaign in Nerath, there is no problem in raiding that to make the phlogiston part of the setting.

I've had a few people suggest to me that 4e Forgotten Realms removed Spelljammer, but from what Zeromaru X has said, they must be mistaken.

What exactly does Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide say about the phlogiston? Does it say anything about the crystal sphere and anything on it (like The Wanderers) or is the phlogiston just namedropped?

Is there anything else about Realmspace in FRCG? Is there anything new about Realmspace in this book, that might make me want to buy it?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Realmspace] What does FRCG say about the Phlogiston?

Postby ripvanwormer » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:53 am

The Phlogiston is only mentioned once. From the context it might be another name for 4e's Elemental Chaos.

Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, page 2 wrote:In the beginning existed a misty realm of timeless nothingness, crafted by Ao the Hidden One from the raw elemental bedlam of the Phlogiston. Within this dim sphere, several worlds drifted upon the Sea of Night.

There's also some very basic information on the other worlds of Realmspace.

Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, page 85 wrote:One satellite and seven other planets are visible in the firmament, known as the Sea of Night, that surrounds the planet of Toril. A lone moon named Selûne orbits Toril every 30 days; eclipses happen frequently. Following the moon in its path across the Sea of Night is a collection of shining shards, called the Tears of Selûne. In addition to the moon, seven visible planets wander the star-misted Sea of Night. They are dusky Anadia, green Coliar, blue Karpri and Chandos, ringed Glyth, odd-shaped Garden, and disk-shaped H’Catha. All follow regular orbits around the sun. The stars are distant and eternal, forming patterns and constellations that each culture names according to its own desires.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Jaid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:55 am

iirc there's an explicit mention that all the different worlds (all settings) are floating in the astral sea. (edit: not in an FR book i think. just as a general piece of information mentioned somewhere... )

i could be wrong though. and i certainly didn't like 4e well enough to be able to provide a more specific reference than "i vaguely remember this thing", so... unless someone else vaguely remembers it better now that i've mentioned it, that's probably a dead end.
Jaid
Frost Giant

Postby Zeromaru X » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:45 pm

That is mentioned in the 4e Manual of the Planes, but do not says that the settings are floating in the Astra Sea. It says this:

4e Manual of the Planes, p.12 wrote:The World: The mortal plane of existence is the natural world. This world may be Abeir-Toril, Athas, Eberron, Krynn, Oerth, or a world of your own devising. This plane also encompasses the space between worlds.

Making it different to the Fundamental Planes (the Astral Sea and the Elemental Chaos) that exists "above" and "below" the World.

4e Manual of the Planes, p.12 wrote:Fundamental Planes: The mortal world and its parallel planes exist between two great infinite expanses—the Astral Sea and the Elemental Chaos. The Astral Sea is dotted with smaller planes called astral dominions, the Elemental Chaos with elemental realms.
Zeromaru X
Stone Giant

Return to Spelljammer