Savage Forgotten Realms: A Fan Conversion

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.

Savage Forgotten Realms: A Fan Conversion

Postby Boddynock » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:36 am

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3m5GuGWSMIBRDhPdVlLOVBCNHc/view?usp=sharing

Heya!

So, one of the projects I've been working with is a conversion of Forgotten Realms to one of my favorite mechanic systems: Savage Worlds. My previous endeavors unfortunately were sidetracked, crashed, and then burn. In this case I've shown up to the party with a draft PDF that converts the races found in the 3rd Edition Forgotten Realms campaign setting (the only portion of the campaign I've ever known). So, if you're a Savage Worlds fan who wanted to run a Ghostwise Hafling or Svirfneblin, or a Forgotten Realms fan who wants to wince at some laymen take a stab at document design, I invite you to give this a once-over! Let me know what you think, what you might want to see added, or anything else. If you'd like to have the raw word document, please feel free to PM me. I'm happy to share.

-Boddynock.
Check out my blog http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/

Support your local gnome!

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Re: Savage Forgotten Realms: A Fan Conversion

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Nice work. Are the edges found in the core book, if they aren't provided in your document? In the Fantasy supplement, too?
Image My Google+ RPG-related posts. | Image Escalation! fanzine for 13th Age.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Boddynock » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:53 pm

Hey Tim,

All of the suggested Edges can be found in the Savage Worlds Deluxe core rulebook. I actually didn't use the Fantasy Companion in terms of Edges for this document as I wanted it easy enough for someone who might just have the Deluxe book to pick it up, use these currently for racial templates, and run with it.

Boddynock Stotch - 17th level Gnome Bard of Far Shore, Isle of Dread - Savage Tide Adventure Path
Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Tim Baker » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:01 pm

Boddynock wrote:All of the suggested Edges can be found in the Savage Worlds Deluxe core rulebook. I actually didn't use the Fantasy Companion in terms of Edges for this document as I wanted it easy enough for someone who might just have the Deluxe book to pick it up, use these currently for racial templates, and run with it.

Good idea. What else needs to be written up in order to play a campaign?
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Boddynock » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:26 pm

The good news is that a lot of races that seem to start trouble in the Realms you can use right away. Orcs? Both chieftains and grunts are in the corebook. Goblins, Dragons, Ogres, and Trolls also exist in the corebook. If you have the Fantasy Companion that gives you access to Giants such as Hill, Frost, and Fire giants. I think the only parts that'd really need to be written would be Gnolls, but then again you could also take the base Orc stats and with some fiddling make Gnoll.

The big thing that could be written is the major NPC's of the Realms, but on the other hand you could handwave a lot or just give whatever dice you think you need to run said NPC. Elminster? Well we know right away he probably has a D12 if not D12+1 or +2 (For those who might not know, d12 in Savage World represents the pinnacle of Skill/Attribute and at the Legendary levels Elminster is at he can add static bonuses to the end of that). He'd probably nearly every power and could have almost every trapping (the small template changes you apply to a rather broad power).

To speed to the point, not sure if a Rogue's Gallery is needed. But I'm happy to chat and add one if people would like to see it.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Boddynock » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:29 pm

My next session I shall be jumping into is the equipment section. Now, granted, a lot of stuff in the Deluxe book can be ported very easily- the core book has stuff for swords (short, long, & great); axes (hatchets & battleaxes - no picks, not yet anyway); spears. It even has rules for firearms such as the flintlock pistol and musket (in this case noted as the Brown Bess). However, I like to add a few custom weapons such as: War Picks, Cutlass, Polearm, Bladed, and Polearm Blunt - maybe a couple of other items that aren't quite spelled out. One might say that a Cutlass is more-or-less a shortsword, and they'd be right, but I like to capture that swashbuckling flavor we see along the Sword Coast and battling Luskan pirates.

My next phase should then add a bestiary with a couple of monsters that I know have not made it too any of the official Savage Worlds books.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Tim Baker » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:16 am

Boddynock wrote:My next session I shall be jumping into is the equipment section. . . . My next phase should then add a bestiary with a couple of monsters that I know have not made it too any of the official Savage Worlds books.

Those sound like worthwhile additions.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Boddynock » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:49 am

Sorry if I was quiet these past few days. Some stuff came up. I've made some progress on the Savage Worlds conversion. Below brings in equipment, in which we see weapons (both hand and range) appear and some new equipment items appear.

You can download a copy from here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3m5GuGWSMIBRDhPdVlLOVBCNHc

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Tim Baker » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:19 am

Boddynock wrote:Sorry if I was quiet these past few days. Some stuff came up. I've made some progress on the Savage Worlds conversion. Below brings in equipment, in which we see weapons (both hand and range) appear and some new equipment items appear.

This is shaping up nicely.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby 2097 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:28 am

Have you started playing yet?
Hobgoblin

Postby Boddynock » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:19 pm

We are actually playing a game of Savage Forgotten Realms, but the only thing from this document that's in use in game is me playing an Aasimar. Everyone else kind of stuck with stuff from the core-book like Humans and Half-Elves. Those stats are also in this document as some races (Humans, Half-Elves) really didn't need any extra than what they got.

Nobody has stopped by Lantan to buy kegs of smokepowder or guns, but if that happens I'll let everyone know.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Boddynock » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Also, not to push the blog or anything, but I'm now doing character templates one can plug into their Savage Worlds game. They are designed for the most part to work directly with Savage Worlds Deluxe and this campaign guide (though, if you do plan for to play long term with Savage Worlds, may I recommend getting the Fantasy Companion for things like magic items and more neat stuff).

You can read my templates here!: http://boddynock-te.blogspot.com/2017/06/savage-forgotten-realms-nascent-purple.html

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Boddynock » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Had my first session last night. It went well. It began with our party having to break out of a previous adventure where another group of adventurer's descended into a dragon's lair and the party I ran represented the rear guard that had to fight off the dragon's Lizardfolk allies. The results of the dragon adventure were dealt with by our group's other GM.

So, the rearguard that I ran eventually had to break out of the Lizardfolk attack and make their way back towards Waterdeep. The first chapter was fighting through Lizardfolk minions, a shaman who was the 'Master of Crocodiles' and other excitement. They eventually made it to Waterdeep, leveled up, and learned that the other group who fought the dragon had escaped themselves and were mounting an expedition to Dragonspear Castle. This group decided to follow a map they had acquired to go to the High Moors where the tomb of the Lizard King sat (based off I2: Tomb of the Lizard King). In the process they slew a black dragon in the High Moors, slew some Lizardfolk, and cleared out the 1st level of the dungeon - more or less.

Some thoughts.

-Because we initially had only two players that night, each ran 2 guys and I had an NPC healer to tag along. Most were Human, except for Ranger who was a Strongheart Halfling and in the idea about him was that he was a borderwarden for that small swamp south of Waterdeep. He had a Bloodthirst and disliked Lizardfolk.

-One of the player's characters, a fighter build, had an intelligent sword that rewarded pretty good attack and damage, but demanded the fighter take called shots to the head whenever possible. For those not familiar to the rules, Savage Worlds does have rules for called shots. A called shot invokes a -4 to a skill die roll (which ranges from the lowest d4 to highest d12 combined with a 'wild die' which is a d6. Highest of the two is used and the dice explode). So he'd miss a lot despite the pluses, but when he hit he'd pretty much decapitate a minion or do a lot of damage to my wild cards. It was a strange mix of a fantasy adventure with the gore effects of a horror movie.

-All of the pre-generated characters from I2 make an appearance as the town notables of Waycombe, the village I put in on the High Moors. In fact, when another player came in later that night, she used Azure the Elven Druidess as her character.

-Big nods to the maps from might have been the Forgotten Realms Gray Box. They were very good and I wish there was a way to get them at a reasonable price.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Tim Baker » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:40 pm

Boddynock wrote:Had my first session last night. It went well.

I'm glad it went well. Sounds like an interesting party of characters.
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Boddynock » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:30 pm

I'm glad it went well. Sounds like an interesting party of characters.

Thanks Tim! We had an interesting group. We also continued our group tradition of having our NPC minions names include: "Whitman, Price, and Haddad". Tragically, Price was killed on a previous adventure. But Whitman and Haddad are no last years losers. They managed to stick it out both out of the initial swamp, into the Highmoors, and into the Lizard King's tomb.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby 2097 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:36 pm

Boddynock wrote:Everyone else kind of stuck with stuff from the core-book like Humans and Half-Elves.

But I think that's 100% legit. Only goes to show that the ruleset is a good fit for the setting.
Hobgoblin

Postby Boddynock » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:21 pm

I just posted an updated Savage Spelljammer earlier today. Tonight I'm hoping to jump in and continue some Savage Forgotten Realms stuff. My plan is to add some New Edges. Most of which I converted from older, now out of print Savage Worlds material that I recovered, dusted off. Some of which is converted from other books. Such as the Necromancer edge from Horror Companion. I'm hoping to have that up later this evening.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Boddynock » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:35 am

Just a quick update. I added a set of edges that I think fit Faerun well. Most were re-purposed from other material. Such as from Savagepedia, the Necromancer edges from Horror Companion (for all your Necromancers or Velsharoon worshipers out there). I also re-pruposed a couple of edges, such as Sykes-Fairbairn from Day After Ragnarok, though in this case I called it "Knife Expert" (it's apparently some fighting technique with knives). I think we're shaping up to the final part where I put in some specific monsters that are neither in the core book of the fantasy companion. These are ones that obviously cannot be published in any official book due to certain entanglements.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Boddynock » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:47 am

Just a quick note - I think we're at the finishing touches on this one. I added a small selection of monsters that were sort of specific to Forgotten Realms and D&D. I also added some example material (such as Drow examples). One of the things that certainly helps a Savage Worlds GM with Forgotten Realms is a lot of material in Faerun can already be found. Savage Worlds Deluxe has orcs, trolls, ogres. Fantasy Companion adds some extra stuff, and below is a link to a free bestiary I found that adds some other stuff (like Rust Monsters). I think with a combination of these items you could get a sort of pretty close facsimile of Forgotten Realms, albeit through the lens of Savage Worlds.

The main link in the initial post has the latest release of Savage Forgotten Realms. This link here is a free Savage Worlds bestiary that was for the original Explorer's Edition (little conversion necessary). You can download a copy of the bestiary here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3m5GuGWSMIBX2d6WGRaU2F3RG8

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby Tim Baker » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:48 am

Nice work on the bestiary!
Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Postby Boddynock » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:13 am

Tim Baker wrote:Nice work on the bestiary!

Thanks, Tim! I'm very pleased. A good potion of the stats I got from the Fantasy Companion (which has entries such as Priests, Mercenaries, and Mages). What I did was use those as the template and fiddled with this and that to reflect Drow or Yuan-ti and all that jazz. I'm not sure if there is much left to add this addendum, but I'm happy to look into any advice or address something that is thought to be lacking.

Boddynock
Gnomish Ambassador

Postby froglegg » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:45 am

Cool! :mrgreen:

John
These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed words unwritten-and set them down ere they fade...Learn then, well the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they will lead you to the greatest art of all: Understanding." -Alaundo of Candlekeep.
froglegg
Bugbear

Return to Forgotten Realms