Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Fan Mag

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Re: Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Fan Mag

Post by dazzlerdal » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:33 pm

Added a page containing magic items.

Also added an explanation as to why the history of Unther in canon sources is slightly different to mine.
The Geamesq-Samata (The Epic of Gil-Geamesq), also known as the false history of Unther. It is a continuous work produced by the government of Unther (the Church of the All Father) which alters historic events to put Gil-Geamesq in a better light.

It is this false history that makes Gil-Geamesq the son of E-Nlil, the victor of the Orcgate Wars, the rightful heir of E-Nlil, Gil-Geamesq and his victory tour of Unther after the Orcgate Wars, etc.

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:47 pm

So I changed Isimud to E-Simud and made him the last son of E-Nlil (being the son of a divine being he gets an incredibly long life).

Created a new magic artefact known as the Cowl of Eyes which allows him to see through all kinds of illusions and scry far off places and generally be a divining expert. I'm debating making this artefact one of the Imaskarcana which I've alluded to by allowing it to replicate itself (like the Mask of TiaMa'at) and that E-Simud can communicate with it and that it seems to have bestowed massive amounts of magical knowledge upon him.

I've decided on the Imaskari portal network being a legacy of the spellweavers that had a presence in this land long ago (and may have constructed the stone colossus). The spellweavers all over Faerun disappeared during their Grand Conjunction event (except for Jergal). I've tried to link this disappearance to the lore in the ecology of the Spellweaver and George Krashos' Jergal article (the sstar gems which I've also made the same as chardalyn).

Spellweaver preence in the Old Empires accounts for the pyramid structure in both Ascore and the influence on the Old Empires so I need to place a few really ancient pyramid like "Nodes" around the Old Empires but keep them soooo hidden that no-one has found them yet (maybe in the lake in Murghom/Semphar - perhaps the Okothian ruins in Azulduth are built atop the Node - or perhaps the node is extraplanar in nature and can only be reached by a portal).

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.c ... e-enclave/

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:23 pm

Added in a loose tie that E-Nlil once embraced Ass-Uraqn as a brother and Ass-Uraqn was widely believed to be next in line to succeed E-Nlil should the worst happen.

However Ass-Uraqn didn't want to be ruler and when the worst did happen he never pressed his claim. Thus he was really miffed when Gil-Geamesq betrayed him and helped Ram-Manu oust him from Unther (Gil-Geamesq believed Ass-URaqn was going to press his claim to the throne thanks to his paranoid delusions).

Now trying to link Bane into Chessenta and Assuran.

I think pre 700 DR Bane will be trying to establish a mini kingdom in Akanu, Ass-Uraqn will thwart that plan and the two will have a huge showdown atop Mount Thulbane from which neither are ever seen again.

The trouble with the League of Samathar keeps Unther from doing anything about it. Ass-Uraqn might be the cause of the terrible storm in 677 DR that sinks Unther's fleet on its way to the Wizards' Reach.

Now Bane creates names Stellac Benadi Imperceptor in 735 DR so I'm thinking the showdown between Bane and Ass-URaqn occurs after that (but not long after). It is the disappearance/death of Bane that is the catalyst for him achieving true godhood (worked for Tchazzar and he was alive at the time and active in Chessenta as well trying to make his own kingdom).

I'm thinking Ass-Uraqn has a set of gloves that allow him to call terrible storms. I'm thinking of mixing the Staff of Fury with the Gloves of Lightning to create the Gauntlets of Vengeance. An old Imaskari item that Ass-URaqn had enhance over the millennia. Every time someone injures the wielder they gain a charge. That charge can be used to send lightning at someone nearby but if charged enough then it can be used to call storms of potentially unlimited power (depending upon the number of strikes against the wielder).

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:34 pm

My beginnings of a page for Entropy. He is listed as an NPC and not a god because he has not yet attained the level of power to make him a demigod or true god and it serves to show that anyone can establish a church and gain worshippers before they attain godhood.

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.c ... s/entropy/

I've tried to keep his origin suitably vague via Entropy's own memories of his life but they only become concrete once he gains sentience.

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:00 pm

Added a page that will be the first of many pages on races of Toril beginning with Humans (Mulan and Turami)

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/races/humans/

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:47 pm

I added a page about Spellweavers to try and tie in George Krashos' excellent article on Jergal Lord of the End of Everything with a few of my developing ideas about the origin of Untheric and Mulhorandi culture and a few stray quotes about a race that may have warred with the sarrukh long ago.

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.c ... llweavers/

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Wed May 16, 2018 1:08 pm

I have the base outline of Mulhorand available.

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.c ... mulhorand/

I've tried to expand somewhat on the history and distinguish it from real world Egypt.

The animal headed gods are now depicted as such because of the rise of beast cults during the second empire. The title of Pharaoh comes from the Imaskari title of Empheroar (meaning Lord Artificer), the gods have the same names but their history is based wholly on events within Faerun.

I've attempted to set up a governing dynamic in Mulhorand whereby the Pharaoh is the ultimate power and the Church of Horus-Re administers to the central government. Beneath the Pharaoh are the Divine Precepts who are the titular heads of each church (the Pharaoh is the Divine Precept of the Church of Horus-Re so is the most powerful man in Mulhorand) and each Church has an area of responsibility in central government. Beneath the Divine Precepts are the regional governors, known as Precepts, who implement policy within the regions.

Mulhorand has a standing army, known as the Legions of Dawn, each of which is recruited and maintained by the Church of Anhur, but each legion is often commanded by those loyal to the Church of Horus Re. The Precepts have a militia known as the Pehtemi (Shields of the People) who act as local police forces and internal patrolmen.

Just need to work on the specifics for now.

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:05 pm

After a very long break (had to do a work based certification), I'm back to working on this.

I've been working on my version of the rules a fair bit

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.c ... s-classes/
https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.c ... gic-items/
https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.c ... s-options/
https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.c ... rgs-races/
https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.c ... gs-skills/

I've also returned to Dalath to try and finish the skeleton articles I have been working on. It now has a secret group of slaves (the Fire Drakes) trying to free Dalath from the rule of the Freeholder houses, but in secret the Fire Drakes are supplied and organized by the Freeholder Houses who in turn are beholden to the Millennium Wyrm.

The Cult of Tiamat wishes to infiltrate the Fire Drakes (believing them to be dragon worshippers) but every time it gets close a rebellion occurs and all the slaves (and the Fire Drakes) and its cultists are slaughtered

If anyone has any information or ideas for Dalath I'd really appreciate it, as there is precious little I can find on the settlement so I'm mostly making it up here.

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.c ... er/dalath/

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:09 pm

I'm working on the cult of the old gods, based on some information provided by Tom Costa (hope he doesn't mind, I think I've renamed the city to something more Untheric).

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.c ... -old-gods/

Its an amalgam of priests who worship one of a variety of gods that have long since died or fled from Unther and Akanu. The tyrannical rule of Gil-Geamesq and decline of Unther has caused this cult to flourish in the last few decades.

The ensi of the old gods will be looking for items of significance to their deity so they can try and bring them back to life (for those that are known to be dead) or bring their attention back to Unther (where they have been absent for a long while).

They are also trying to convert as many as possible into worshipping the old gods, usually by providing good works such as herb lore, education, marriage ceremonies, blessings, advice, etc.

In a future adventure path involving the invasion of Unther (by Mulhorand) and ultimate rebirth of Unther, I'm imagining that some of these old gods might be restored to life by this cult and the activities of the players - who will find artefacts relating to these gods and assist in rituals to bring them back to life.

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:59 am

So I'm starting to detail the children of the god kings. I figure the first generation would be almost as powerful as the godkings themselves but most were killed off during wars and intrigue or Gilgeam assassins. The second and third generation are truly exceptional and very long lived. The other generations are a bit better than a normal Mulan with the occasional super being born once in a hundred generations.

These beings are important because their blood holds power and if you want to bring a godking back to life you need power; powerful blood, powerful rituals, and or powerful items.

I have a few of these children of the gods scattered across unther and chessenta (entropy is hunting them). They will be pivotal for a future adventure involving the invasion of unther and then it's rebirth with a return of as many old gods as the party can help with.

There are even a few children of the gods for Gilgeam. I know the sources say he has no children but Gilgeam has a habit overwriting history and fabricating the truth. His children are special because they are all first generation and were imprisoned by Gilgeam with a big part of the adventure being to stop Gilgeam from returning.

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpres...n/gil-geamesq/

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:06 pm

Very interesting! Are these children also mentioned in FR modules? do you know where is the first mention of them?

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:24 pm

They are not mentioned in any sourcebooks, I made them up, I exhausted all the material in the sourcebooks a long time ago and there wasn't much to be honest. So I'm adding my own stuff now.

The sourcebooks explicitly state Gilgeam made no avatars and fathered no children because he was paranoid about them usurping his power. However I figure at moments when he thought he might die he probably abandoned this idea and just thought about continuing his bloodline. The sourcebooks also states in a single entry that Gilgeam edited the histories of Unther to make him look more favourable so that gives the green light for people to do what they want with the history. The official sources are the edited history and anything you come up with can be the true history. That's the premise I'm operating on.

Gilgeam dies in official canon but I really dislike ending a plot hook so I'm adding in the children as a means to bring him back.

Sturm
Green Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:34 pm

Good idea, I think they fit quite well with the region!

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:28 pm

Thankyou, I'm trying to keep with the feeling of the old empires and not divert too much from canon. It mentioned that when the gods landed they had children with the Mulan, it never mentioned how powerful they were but i assume they are more powerful than normal humans. With a lack of interesting historical stories in unther I'm going to link some events to these children and try and make up a few heroic events to add the feeling that long ago unther was a land of heroes and monsters. Most of both are now dead but the few surviving children can help remake unther again.

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:57 pm

Added Ningal into the list of NPCs, and made her one of the children of the gods.

She is a great grandchild of Nanna Sin (I named him Sin-An'na). Her abilities are of course inherited from her ancestor. The magic items she possesses come from another source (she claims a gift from the sea - a cryptic clue to a secret extradimensional shelter that Shu-Mmatq; Untheric god of the sea, once discovered and stored his relics in before fleeing Gilgeams secret purge of the godkings).

It will be Sin-Ningal that leads the population to the secret extra dimensional refuge high above Shussel (the Vanishing), although she will not travel there herself, and the population of Shussel will there be attended to and trained by the divine servants of Shu-Matq.

Sin-Ningal will not accept help from others because she intends to become Sin-An'na reborn (and a future goddess cannot be seen to be weak and accept help from others), she will also not compromise her future power by aiding those who are unworthy or those who might reduce her future power (servants of other gods of the moon or protection).

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.c ... cs-2/npcs/

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:43 pm

Okay, so Northern Wizards is next.

I've decided on it being a new organisation commissioned by Hercubes Jedea to help Messemprar gain independence and thus create an additional city state in threskel to counter the rising threat of the vanities in mourktar (Hercubes predicts they will seize power and will then seek to conquer all of threskel).

So Shu-Urlasq and the other members of the northern wizards listed in the old empires book are the inner circle and all come from threskel (although only Shu-Urlasq knows the true mission and benefactor).

The Northern Wizards chose the moniker of an old military order of wizards from Unther's past when Chessenta gained independence and it was thought Tchazzar would March on messemprar first. The old order has long since disbanded but the name has entered folklore as the city's defenders.

The Northern Wizards recruit from wizards in messemprar that seek an end to Unther's dominion over the city. The requirement for entry into the order is that they provide a number of friends/family/associates that will be used as messengers by the order (thus lowering the risk of betrayal).

There are at least two red wizards in the list of members (They want an end to Gilgeams rule over the city so they qualify for membership). Borsipa is a double agent for Gilgeam (she escaped slavery during the slave revolt, was later captured by Unther's forces and offered her life and freedom in exchange for being a double informant, and was later rescued by the slave revolutionairies.

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.c ... n-wizards/

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:13 pm

No new pages, mostly just reworking the old one. New links are in the first post (or below). I've added in about 20 more NPCs, fleshed out a few more of the skeletal pages, tried to cross link between organisations and settlements.

Home Page

Some of my own rules I've been working on
ARRGS Classes
ARRGS Magic
ARRGS Magic Items
ARRGS Options
ARRGS Races
ARRGS Skills

Running the Realms
Divinity

Faerunian Pantheon
Entropy
Tchazzar

Mulho-Untheric Pantheon
Mulho-Untheric Pantheon
Ass-Uraqn
Gil-Geamesq
Horus-Re
Ish-Tarri
Ram-Manu
Set
TiaMa'at

Organisation
The Church of the Sky Father
The Church of Hoar
The Church of Ish-Tarri
The Church of Ram-Manu
The Cult of the Old Gods
The Cult of the Queen of Chaos
The Enclave
The Eternal Claws
The Northern Wizards

NPCs
Old Empires NPCs
Maladraedior
Meiandringolousaert
Nezram
Seh-Om

Races
Humans
Dwarves
Rakshasa
Spellweavers

Regions
Chessenta
Luthcheq
Akanax
Airspur
Mulhorand
Skuld
Raurin
Unther
Dalath
Messemprar
Nissel (Red Haven)
Niz'Jaree (Firetrees)
Shussel
Ssintar
Unthalass

Morfie
Metamorph

Post by Morfie » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:08 am

Are there any maps around of the Alternate Realms?

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:20 am

Hi Morfie,
Unfortunately I'm no cartographer and I can't afford to have someone else make maps for me, so at this point in time there are no maps for my version.
The point about what I'm doing is that it should work seamlessly with what is already written or drawn so all the landmarks that already exist should still exist and in the same place-ish (Not including 4e or 5e which is unworkable in an form of continuity).

I tend to use the maps made by markustay or handsomerob over on candlekeep. Hopefully I've indicated where a new location is compared to everywhere else.

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:28 pm

I think I've developed the Church of Ish-Tarri as much as I can.

https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.c ... ish-tarri/

I've included how the church gradually migrates to the worship of Isis (or is in progress of doing so). I've dealt with Ish-Tarri's absence and a possible means for her return (although in an altered form). I've got the oil of eternity in there. I've got some adventuring ideas. And there are a few more npcs to flesh out the organization.

If anyone has any other thoughts or something I've missed from existing lore (relating to the religion - not the god, that's a separate article).

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:00 pm

Added pages on Sebek and his cult, rather than have him as an always "ebil" outcast that gets eradicate by the armies of Mulhorand every few centuries, I've tried to turn him into a misguided brute that made some bad choices and fell victim to a curse that made him into the crocodile monster.

Having passed that curse onto his followers, I'm leading towards the Cult of Sebek being another pawn of the sarrukh (an accidental creation), that they intend to use against the Mulhorandi so they can drive them from the region and reclaim their former territory.

Sebek
The Cult of the Smiling Death

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:50 pm

I'm on to Sultim now.

I've got that it is home to the Blood Fortress of Anhur; the high temple of his church.

Other than that I can find precious little detail.

I'm imagining it as a huge fortification that happens to serve as a rapidly growing city.
Since Thay's rebellion it probably became quite important as the northern border and premier fortification along that border. So initially it is the Blood Fortress, with surrounding ancilliary settlements. As time goes on a settlement springs up around it. Then Thay rebels and it needs a wall, one reinforced against magical energies (because they are powerful wizards). This wall is tested when Thay invades the first time and all goes well.

1280 DR, and Thay almost breaches the defences so work starts on a new wall. Keeping in the pyramid motif I've decided on a sloped granite wall that leads up to a rounded top. The surface is polished and oiled each day (stop siege engines and people moving up it).
Then you have the outer circle where most of the new buildings are. Then is the inner wall built after 922 DR, its just a straight up wall, but with metal and magical reinforcing, it is also a bit taller than the outer wall to help with defence. Then you have the hill and the tor upon which the Blood Fortress is built (with a little wall round that which has now worn down to a stone lowwall.

Now any ideas why the Blood Fortress might be called that. I like to think all names have a meaning from a historical, or aesthetic point of view. I was thinking perhaps there was a big battle here in the distant past, hence its name. Or perhaps the tor it is built into (you typically build fortresses on hills and natural rises) could be dotted with rubies or other red gemstones, so when the sun shines on it it gives the impression of blood trickling down the hill. Or perhaps the word Blood is actually a mis hearing (by a foreigner) of a Mulhorandi word which means something entirely different.

I've got the ruler of the city as a devout worshipper of Anhur, but the regional Precept is an independent who is secretly in the pocket of the Church of Horus-Re (following 1280 DR when the church nearly failed to defend Mulhorand and it lost the position of the major Precept of Sultim).

I've branched out the position of major and minor precept (Fakh-Ab meaning greater sun lord, and Fenkh-Ab meaning lesser sun lord). The Greater Precepts hold domain over a region or part of a large region, while the Lesser Precepts hold domain over a single settlement. In Sultim the Greater Precept Koramon resides in Sultim so he effectively tells the Lesser Precept what to do in the city making Koramon the real ruler and the lesser precept his glorified secretary (just how the Vizier wanted it)

As Mulhorand is all about guilds I intend to have lots of guilds in the city for blacksmithing, armourer, fletcher, farrier, wheelwright, shipwright, sailmaker, etc.

The new navy and army that the Church of Anhur is building are being trained in a secret base in the mountains on the border with the Thazalhar (the ships are in a bay in the Thazalhar coastline).

I've read that Outer Sultim is fairly lawless, I'm debating whether to make Outer Sultim to apply to the countryside around Sultim (the original name for the region is the Taranoth), or whether Outer Sultim should be the Outer Circle which has sprung up since 1280 DR and could be little more than sprawls and slums at this point.

There are two NPCs in Outer Sultim that I have names of, and both would not be allowed to exist if it was a lawful and controlled area.

Anyone got any ideas or information I haven't found about Sultim?

Return to “Forgotten Realms”