DM's Guild opens Forgotten Realms to fan content!

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

DM's Guild opens Forgotten Realms to fan content!

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:12 pm

Wizards of the Coast just launched Dungeon Masters Guild.

It is going to make it possible for ordinary people to publish their own Forgotten Realms content...and get paid!

Here is the press release (Dungeon Masters Guild Now Open) from the D&D website:
There’s a new way to buy and share D&D adventures. With the Dungeon Master’s Guild, you’ll be able to self-publish material set in the Forgotten Realms using monsters, spells, characters, and locations.

Dungeons & Dragons is all about creativity. For more than 40 years, the folks who spent the bulk of their time creating amazing adventures, those noble Dungeon Masters, did not have a convenient outlet to share them with the gamers who weren’t sitting at their table. You either had to raise money to publish a physical book or zine on your own, or convince a publisher you had the chops., The Dungeon Master’s Guild puts the power to share that creativity firmly in the hands of the DM.

The Dungeon Masters Guild is a collaboration between Dungeons & Dragons and our friends at OneBookshelf, and it is designed to support and reward you – whether you’re an experienced DM or just starting out. Today, you can upload your creations to the DMs Guild website, as well as browse submissions from some of gaming’s most esteemed designers.

For the first time ever, you’ll be able to self-publish material set in the Forgotten Realms. Set your side trek in Neverwinter or Baldur’s Gate, have your characters go toe-to-toe with the Xanathar, the beholder crime lord of Waterdeep, or fall in with some traitorous drow in Menzoberranzan. With some exceptions noted on the DMs Guild website, the Forgotten Realms is at your fingertips.

You can set whatever price you like for your creation; you can give your new monster away for free or charge a few gold coins. If you do decide to ask for money, you’ll get half of the revenue while OneBookshelf and Dungeons & Dragons will split the other. We care about our creators and that’s why they get the biggest cut!

Creators can upload whatever kind of Forgotten Realms material they’d like to the Dungeon Masters Guild, but we’ll be featuring side treks, monsters, and backgrounds on the site. At this time, the Guild is only accepting Forgotten Realms material that uses the fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons rules. For everything else, we’ve updated the Open Gaming License so that publishers can continue releasing their own material. Read more about the updated OGL here.

Head to dungeonmastersguild.com to see what’s available to download.

QUESTIONS?

On Friday, January 15th starting at 10am PT, Mike Mearls and Chris Lindsay from the Dungeons & Dragons team will host an Ask Me Anything (AMA) on the Reddit D&D channel to speak directly with the public on how the Dungeon Masters Guild works. Mike Mearls is also available for interviews upon request.

If you have more questions, you can contact Customer Service.
It looks like the service is provided by DriveThru RPG.
Last edited by Big Mac on Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: DM's Guild opens Forgotten Realms to fan content!

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Here is an answer to a question on the D&D FB page, about opening the program up to other worlds:
Dungeons & Dragons Facebook Page wrote:We may open up the other settings at some point, but for now if people want to play around and publish stuff from one or our official settings, the IP for forgotten realms is there for people to use
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:31 pm

Big Mac wrote:Here is an answer to a question on the D&D FB page, about opening the program up to other worlds:
Dungeons & Dragons Facebook Page wrote:We may open up the other settings at some point, but for now if people want to play around and publish stuff from one or our official settings, the IP for forgotten realms is there for people to use
I think Bruce needs to release the flying monkeys in Wizards' direction ;)
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:23 pm

RobJN wrote:
Big Mac wrote:Here is an answer to a question on the D&D FB page, about opening the program up to other worlds:
I think Bruce needs to release the flying monkeys in Wizards' direction ;)
That deserves it's own topic: Would you support DM Guild products for Mystara? :)

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:25 pm

Wonder if they'd open up Spelljammer...seems a prime candidate.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:29 pm

Holy crap, if this was for Greyhawk, it'd become my full-time job. Even with a setting that I'm far less familiar with, this may need to be The Thing (TM). Definitely something I have to investigate.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:37 pm

night_druid wrote:Wonder if they'd open up Spelljammer...seems a prime candidate.
That deserves it's own topic: Would you support DM Guild products for Spelljammer? :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:21 pm

willpell wrote:Holy crap, if this was for Greyhawk, it'd become my full-time job. Even with a setting that I'm far less familiar with, this may need to be The Thing (TM). Definitely something I have to investigate.
This also deserves it's own topic: Would you support DM Guild products for Greyhawk?.

All I'm doing is redirecting thread derails to other campaign setting forums, right now. This thing is slowly taking over The Piazza. :lol:

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:45 pm

Big Mac wrote:All I'm doing is redirecting thread derails to other campaign setting forums, right now. This thing is slowly taking over The Piazza. :lol:
Well, it's kind of a grass-is-greener thing. The first thing people do when you say "We're doing X" is to wonder why they can't do Y instead.

(Also, is splitting and moving posts super-awkward on your software? My old forum made it pretty painless.)

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:32 pm

The first thing people do when you say "We're doing X" is to wonder why they can't do Y instead.
Truth. My first thought was "maybe they'll let us do Eberron or Ravenloft stuff too!" I like FR. It's actually the only setting I've played in... but I've never run it, so I guess I've always been more into making content for the more off-beat settings.

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:04 pm

FR is definitely not my favorite setting. The Wall of the Faithless alone makes me queasy about it, even though they've backed off a little bit from its original presentation. Having some atheist/agnostic inclinations IRL (sometimes I'm in a spiritual mood, other times I find it impossible to credit a belief in anything of the sort), the idea of a setting where questioning the gods is repaid with eternal suffering (arguably worse even than Hell, since there you at least eventually dissolve into a Lemure or Larva or something, and your troubles are over) sits poorly with me.

I also have something of a grudge against the whole "Elminster in Ed Greenwood's office" gag.

I'm sure there are things about FR I'd love if I studied them, but so far the only thing I really have a high opinion of about the setting is that it's where the Drow originate (or at least the version of them I'm familiar with started there, as far as I know), and they've been too thoroughly exported to other settings for it to make much difference anymore.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:42 pm

For those wondering, they've verified on their Reddit AMA that Kara-Tur, Maztica, and Al-Qadim can all be used under the "Forgotten Realms" umbrella.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

enderxenocide0
Stone Giant

Post by enderxenocide0 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:57 pm

Indeed, Mike Mearls even verified that Product Identity items like the Mind Flayer and Beholders are acceptable (provided they're sold through the Guild).

willpell
Black Dragon

Post by willpell » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:00 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:Indeed, Mike Mearls even verified that Product Identity items like the Mind Flayer and Beholders are acceptable (provided they're sold through the Guild).
Whoa, that's a big plus in my book. I guess I can feign an interest in Toril after all....

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:41 pm

willpell wrote:
Big Mac wrote:All I'm doing is redirecting thread derails to other campaign setting forums, right now. This thing is slowly taking over The Piazza. :lol:
Well, it's kind of a grass-is-greener thing. The first thing people do when you say "We're doing X" is to wonder why they can't do Y instead.

(Also, is splitting and moving posts super-awkward on your software? My old forum made it pretty painless.)
I haven't been splitting topics. Not here anyway. But it would be nice to stay on topic and talk about Forgotten Realms content that might be in the Dungeon Masters Guild.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:46 pm

willpell wrote:I'm sure there are things about FR I'd love if I studied them, but so far the only thing I really have a high opinion of about the setting is that it's where the Drow originate (or at least the version of them I'm familiar with started there, as far as I know), and they've been too thoroughly exported to other settings for it to make much difference anymore.
The drow didn't originate in Forgotten Realms. There were plenty of drow products before Forgotten Realms was bought by TSR.

Even the Drow Pantheon was not designed for Forgotten Realms. Most of the pre-FR drow content is now located in Greyhawk.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:48 pm

enderxenocide0 wrote:
The first thing people do when you say "We're doing X" is to wonder why they can't do Y instead.
Truth. My first thought was "maybe they'll let us do Eberron or Ravenloft stuff too!" I like FR. It's actually the only setting I've played in... but I've never run it, so I guess I've always been more into making content for the more off-beat settings.
Now that Wizards of the Coast are bringing back Ravenloft, perhaps they will add Ravenloft to the Dungeon Masters Guild program.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:52 pm

Big Mac wrote:I haven't been splitting topics. Not here anyway. But it would be nice to stay on topic and talk about Forgotten Realms content that might be in the Dungeon Masters Guild.
I imagine adventures is probably the thing they hope people add the most. Sorta like old Dungeon, but with less WotC involvement. I suspect people will want to regional sourcebooks, monster books, magic item books, and the like. It'll be interesting to see how those products shake out, if WotC allows them at all.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:56 pm

I suspect they'll add Ravenloft and Eberron next. If that works out well, we might see Dark Sun and perhaps Dragonlance. Greyhawk is a maybe, although I wonder if there are legal entanglements that prevent them from really using that setting much (I can't imagine they bury it out of spite). Mystara might be a long-shot, but possible. Spelljammer could happen if it proves really successful; SJ has always held a special place in designers' hearts for some reason (it always keeps popping up). Planescape, I'm not really sure about since they let the trademark expire.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:58 pm

night_druid wrote:
I suspect they'll add Ravenloft and Eberron next. If that works out well, we might see Dark Sun and perhaps Dragonlance. Greyhawk is a maybe, although I wonder if there are legal entanglements that prevent them from really using that setting much (I can't imagine they bury it out of spite). Mystara might be a long-shot, but possible. Spelljammer could happen if it proves really successful; SJ has always held a special place in designers' hearts for some reason (it always keeps popping up). Planescape, I'm not really sure about since they let the trademark expire.
That sounds likely. I would add Dark Sun quite early on, unless they felt that the 4E one was too much of a disaster? Do they really need to add Planescape? Planes are part of the core rules, so if they add Sigil and and the factions then you could have Planescape without the logo? On the other hand it would be great if they actually added all the settings. At least the ones that had their own game lines back in the TSR days. We'll see.

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

RobJN
Dire Flumph

Post by RobJN » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:11 am

night_druid wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I haven't been splitting topics. Not here anyway. But it would be nice to stay on topic and talk about Forgotten Realms content that might be in the Dungeon Masters Guild.
I imagine adventures is probably the thing they hope people add the most. Sorta like old Dungeon, but with less WotC involvement. I suspect people will want to regional sourcebooks, monster books, magic item books, and the like. It'll be interesting to see how those products shake out, if WotC allows them at all.
From what I heard on the 1/14/16 podcast (which was recorded before the AMA on reddit), Wizards is leaning towards three major categories: backgrounds, monsters, and short(er) adventures. This is not to say that they won't be looking at other material not in those broad categories, but that is where they're primarily casting their nets in search of designers and writing talent.
Rob
Thorn's Chronicle: The Thread Index|Thorn's Chronicle Blog
My articles at the Vaults of Pandius; My W.O.I.N. adventure in ENWorld's EONS Patreon #56.
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook |twitter

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:42 pm

night_druid wrote:I imagine adventures is probably the thing they hope people add the most. Sorta like old Dungeon, but with less WotC involvement. I suspect people will want to regional sourcebooks, monster books, magic item books, and the like. It'll be interesting to see how those products shake out, if WotC allows them at all.
I really liked the regional sourcebooks that WotC put out in the 3rd Edition Era. But they never really covered all the areas (and I think that some fans would have thought it would have been overkill if they tried to do one sourcebook for every single region).

...but if they open this up to the fans, the fans could run with the concept of area sourcebooks and there could be a number of them...good and bad. If this fan-rating thing is an indication, WotC might buy out up the best sourcebooks, add in some extra content and make something like their Sword Coast book, that has some extra support from D&D Adventurers League.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:52 am

AuldDragon wrote:For those wondering, they've verified on their Reddit AMA that Kara-Tur, Maztica, and Al-Qadim can all be used under the "Forgotten Realms" umbrella.
This deserves its own topic...I mean this deserves three topics:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:57 am

night_druid wrote:Planescape, I'm not really sure about since they let the trademark expire.
They let pretty much all the TSR trademarks expire. Not just Planescape.

Some Mystara fans got over-excited and thought that they could buy the Mystara trademark and own the Mystara campaign setting, when they noticed that one had lapsed. The rest of the fans gave them the bad news.

I think this happened around the time that the new TSR company started up, and grabbed that trademark.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:20 am

Havard wrote:Do they really need to add Planescape? Planes are part of the core rules, so if they add Sigil and and the factions then you could have Planescape without the logo? On the other hand it would be great if they actually added all the settings. At least the ones that had their own game lines back in the TSR days. We'll see.
They already covered that. :)

If someone wants to do a small side-trek into another plane (like the Shadowfell action in the Blades of the Moonsea novel) that would be acceptable under Dungeon Masters Guild, but if they want to put in one or two pages of Forgotten Realms content as an excuse to shoehorn in an entire Planescape netbook, that would not be allowed.

I believe they are depending on people playing by the spirit of the rules here.

One thing about (that might actually be new to 4th Edition) is the idea that there are specific carbon copy locations of Forgotten Realms on other planes. This means that someone might actually be able to create a Shadowfell/Plane of Shadow version of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and put as much detail into the shadow versions of the locations as WotC put into their canon locations. That is something that might appeal to Planescape fans, but it really fits in a lot better with a Forgotten Realms campaign. :cool:

Return to “Forgotten Realms”