Items from Earth on Toril?

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Gnoll

Items from Earth on Toril?

Post by 2097 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:01 am

We play in 1367 DR Zakhara, so this could go in the al-Qadim subforum but I'm thinking it's relevant to all of Toril.

Is there some established way to get items from Earth? Like an old Polaroid camera, a Muji metal fork, a Guns 'n Roses t-shirt etc?

Planescaping, spelljamming, some other way? Just trying to get a grip on the cosmology and chronology of D&D, what the possibilites are and what the limits are.

Again, the current date in our campaign is mid spring, 1367 DR.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Items from Earth on Toril?

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed May 31, 2017 11:23 am

Planar travel will work. The spell worldwalk is designed for this. Elminster is likely to have modern items he got from his visits to Canada. I believe that the Simbul has been there, too. There may also be ancient gates created by the Imaskari or Netherese, or perhaps the most ancient elves. Arguably, worshipers of the Celtic, Finnish, and Norse pantheons may have traveled to Toril in ancient times, bringing their gods with them. The Mulani did, brought from Egypt and Mesopotamia as slaves of the Imaskari. The Imaskari are more likely to have left ruins in Zakhara. Genies and gen may also have traveled to Earth.

1360 DR is probably 1992 AD in Earth's calendar, based on the events of Dragon #185, so 1367 is probably 1999. I wouldn't be too rigid about this, though. Just saying it's the present day should be fine.

Spelljamming is unlikely to work, since it would require mapping phlogiston routes to Earth's solar system and placing Earth in a crystal sphere, and both are problematic. The Arcane are likely to be able to get their hands on items from Earth, however.

Sigil might have portals to Earth, but I wouldn't make them permanent, common, or easy to find keys to. The ogre mage Estavan of the Planar Trade Consortium knows how to find a portal to Earth, though, according to the Urban Arcana sourcebook for d20 Modern.
Last edited by ripvanwormer on Wed May 31, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnoll

Post by 2097 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:00 pm

What an amazing reply. Quick, concise, and comprehensive. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed May 31, 2017 12:01 pm

There is an article about Earth on Forgotten Realms Wiki, that has some facts about FR Earth and some speculation.

There are citations on the article, so you should be able to investigate the individual facts, by referring back to the canon sources, and then verify or refute each fact.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed May 31, 2017 12:03 pm

2097 wrote:What an amazing reply. Quick, concise, and comprehensive. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Ripvanwormer is a genius. It always takes me a long time to reply to any topic, where he has given me an answer, as there are usually so many things to think about. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Gnoll

Post by 2097 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:46 pm

This is really cool, I love the Narnia-ness of this.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:38 pm

Actually, Netheril might be a good candidate for portals from Zakhara to Earth. A number of Zakharan natives migrated through a portal to Netheril in -339 DR (the same year Netheril fell), becoming the ancestors of the Bedine people. About 300 years later, in the same general area, in what then was called the nation of Asram, the Finnish goddess Kiputytto warred with the goddess Talona, so it seems possible that portals in the ruins of Asram (in 1367 this is the Anauroch Desert) connect both to Zakhara and the homeworld of the Finnish gods (that is to say: Earth).

Gnoll

Post by 2097 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:38 am

That's a cool possibility!
I've been listening to Lesser Evils on audio book and there's some Netheril stuff in there which fascinated me. And, I grew up with the Kalevala (I am one fourth Karelian), the intersection of it and Zakhara is like right into my ♥, very cool.

So the question becomes if some item from modern day, say 1960–2020 CE, could fall into that portal now in modern day (or 1999).

Also interesting to see (via your link) that there are places in Faerûn where Midani was spoken still. I knew the unenlightened (in Loregiver terms) Zakharans where scattered but didn't think they kept their language.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:00 pm

I never realized so much contact between Toril and Earth had been established. I only knew about the Wizard's Three articles which were set on Earth and typically featured wizards from the Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk and Dragonlance settings.

I wonder if this is the same Earth that the people of Mystara refer to as LaTerre, Gothic Earth from the Ravenloft setting and the Earth detailed in the AD&D HR Series? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:37 pm

Ed Greenwood has said many times that the reason the setting is called the Forgotten Realms is that it once had many portals to Earth but they've become forgotten over time. When TSR acquired the setting they deemphasized that aspect of the setting because they were afraid kids could get hurt searching for portals to the Realms in real life and TSR would be blamed. So while Dragon Magazine articles were often presented as things Elminster was telling Ed Greenwood, most published works were more circumspect. I don't think any source comes right out and says that the Imaskari portals led to our Earth as such, as opposed to Gothic Earth or some other world where the Egyptian and Sumerian/Babylonian pantheons are known. Likewise with the worlds of the Finnish or Celtic pantheons.

Gnoll

Post by 2097 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:26 am

Oh :(

I don't want any kids getting hurt… of course!
They wouldn't know the language (common or midani… or goblin or any of the toril languages) and might not find their way back to Earth. The downside of Narnia.

Return to “Forgotten Realms”