Calimport: Is it any good?

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.

Calimport: Is it any good?

Postby Big Mac » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:22 pm

Calimport has come up in Print on Demand format on DMs Guild:
DMs Guild wrote:Calimport (2e)
Image

The City of Glory Revealed at Last!

"Calimport? I'd sooner dive into Undermountain than risk my ship going to that gods-forsaken city!" "Ah - the fabled City of Glory. Its wonders remain unmatched by any other city across Faerun, e'en Waterdeep, for Calimport does not impede anyone's business due to some overbearing morality." "Walking through Calimport, either among the alleys or atop the sabban walls with the nobility, immerses you in danger and corruption, as if you swarm through eels and asps rather than walked its dusty, ill-kept raods."

What can one truly know about a place until he or she has experienced it firsthand? Calimport is a place of many truths, each more disturbing than the last. It is also the most influential trade city in southern Faerun, whether its detractors admit it or not. Building on material from Empires of the Shining Sea, this supplement expands tremendously on what we know about the city that has been the seat of Calishite power since the arrival of the djinni lord Calim eight millennia ago. What can be found inside?

  • The history of Calimport on a broad scale, showing the ebb and flow of power surrounding the city across time,
  • A sweeping look at the city itself, including all of its landmarks, wards, and sabbans (districts) providing for the first time the key to finding ways through a city of more than two million people,
  • A close-up view of the Erare Sabban and its Taorahl Drudach, a waterfront district and nighborhood designed to be a central base for your own Calimport campaigns,
  • Numerous magical items and artifacts, many of which hide among Calimport's shadows, from the Battlecloak of Vycaena and the Codex Thealnakkar to the Staff of Shoon and the Tome of Secrets.

Everything you need to know about the peril-riddled alleys, palaces, and underworld of the most dangerous city on Faerun is contained in this 96-page book. Walk the dark paths among the sabbans or fly among the gilded minarets, but know that a thousand eyes and a thousand intrigues swirl about you at any moment! Come explore one of the oldest cities of Faerun. The trip may change your life...


There isn't a page for Calimport on The Book-House on The Piazza (yet), but I took a look at the Forgotten Realms Wiki article for Calimport and it looks like Calmiport is similar to Al-Qadim.

Has anyone played games in Calimport?

How good is this area?

Does it integrate into other parts of the Forgotten Realms or does it work a bit like a sub-setting? What other books work well with this city?

Are there trade-routes to other ports (like Waterdeep)? Are there any connections to Al-Qadim?

Is there any mention of anything from Realmspace? :halo:
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 22140
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Calimport: Is it any good?

Postby Boneguard » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:54 pm

Calimshan and Calimport were the "original" Arabic homologue in the Forgotten Realms with FR? Empires of Sands.

It's literally way south of Waterdeep along the coast (south of Man and Tethyr), and was always a pro-slavery mercantile nation of somewhat linked city-states. With trade routes up and down the coast and the bay all the way North to Waterdeep, West to the Islands (Moonshae, etc.) but not Maztica under Amn Control, and South to Luiren, and Haluraa.

It's actually a pretty fun area to explore as there is a lot going in that area (depending in which era you play) and there is a strong Genie element in their history...As well as a few liches.

Initially unrelated to Al-Qadim (as it was much older (eg 1st ed ad&d)) it has been slightly retcon to link these 2 area in the past (newer material indicate that the Genie's human slaves were from Al-Qadim...or an other Prime (Earth?))...you could probably extend the trade route further south to Al-Qadim.

The above shown book, has been critiqued as falling short to properly describe the city (don't know, I haven't read it yet), but I would also recommend reading on Calimshan if you are looking at Calimport.

And no over Spelljammer connection except for a crashed beholfer mothership responsable for the Beholfder plaguing the area...and a clearing in Tethyr used by spelljammer slaves to bring slaves to the Tears of Srlune and beyond
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
User avatar
Boneguard
Frost Giant
 
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:00 pm
Location: Gatineau (Quebec) Canada

Re: Calimport: Is it any good?

Postby Big Mac » Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:30 pm

Boneguard wrote:Calimshan and Calimport were the "original" Arabic homologue in the Forgotten Realms with FR? Empires of Sands.


Ah. So this is an expansion to the 1st Edition FR3 Empires of the Sands then? That was published before I started playing D&D.

I see that Empires of the Sands includes information about Amn and Tethyr. Are they supposed to be Arab-like too? Amn being Arabic-like isn't something I had expected when I was reading about Maztica. I guess that I was expecting the Amnian influence on Maztica to be a copy of Spain's influence on Mezoamerica. But I guess that there was Arabic culture in Spain in the past.

Is it just those two that add detail that area or are there any products for Amn and Tethyr or other places? Are there any adventures set there?

Boneguard wrote:It's literally way south of Waterdeep along the coast (south of Man and Tethyr), and was always a pro-slavery mercantile nation of somewhat linked city-states. With trade routes up and down the coast and the bay all the way North to Waterdeep, West to the Islands (Moonshae, etc.) but not Maztica under Amn Control, and South to Luiren, and Haluraa.


The pro-slavery thing makes them sound like the big evil nation that needs to be smashed. I can imagine the mercantile aspect making Calimport similar in some ways to the Red Wizards of Thay.

Boneguard wrote:It's actually a pretty fun area to explore as there is a lot going in that area (depending in which era you play) and there is a strong Genie element in their history...As well as a few liches.


They used gensai as playable races for 3rd Edition. I guess that would have a good Calimport tie-in.

Liches are always good, as you can use them as an excuse to bring back plot devices from the distant past.

Boneguard wrote:Initially unrelated to Al-Qadim (as it was much older (eg 1st ed ad&d)) it has been slightly retcon to link these 2 area in the past (newer material indicate that the Genie's human slaves were from Al-Qadim...or an other Prime (Earth?))...you could probably extend the trade route further south to Al-Qadim.


I'll have to work out how that retcon works, so I can keep an eye out for information I might want to reboot.

Slaves from other worlds would probably work well for me. Slaves from other planets in Realmspace might allow me to work a few interplanetary plots into Realmspace. But I'll go with canon (pre or post retcon - or a Ben Kenobi solution where both versions are true somehow) if possible.

Boneguard wrote:The above shown book, has been critiqued as falling short to properly describe the city (don't know, I haven't read it yet), but I would also recommend reading on Calimshan if you are looking at Calimport.


Thanks for the caution. Perhaps I should go look for some reviews. I generally like to see an entire review, so I can see praise or criticism in the context of other things the reviewer has written.

Boneguard wrote:And no over Spelljammer connection except for a crashed beholfer mothership responsable for the Beholfder plaguing the area...and a clearing in Tethyr used by spelljammer slaves to bring slaves to the Tears of Srlune and beyond


Wow really? That would be fantastic. :cool:

Or was that just a joke? :)

I gots to know!
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
 
Posts: 22140
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Location: London UK

Re: Calimport: Is it any good?

Postby Boneguard » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Boneguard wrote:Calimshan and Calimport were the "original" Arabic homologue in the Forgotten Realms with FR? Empires of Sands.


Ah. So this is an expansion to the 1st Edition FR3 Empires of the Sands then? That was published before I started playing D&D.

I see that Empires of the Sands includes information about Amn and Tethyr. Are they supposed to be Arab-like too? Amn being Arabic-like isn't something I had expected when I was reading about Maztica. I guess that I was expecting the Amnian influence on Maztica to be a copy of Spain's influence on Mezoamerica. But I guess that there was Arabic culture in Spain in the past.

Is it just those two that add detail that area or are there any products for Amn and Tethyr or other places? Are there any adventures set there?


Yes, the old FR3 Empires of the Sands has been updated and republished in 3 component near the end of 2nd edition:

The box set, Lands of Intrigue covers Amb, Tethyr and Erlkazar (a new nation that broke of of Tethyr) as well as give a brief update of the Maztica colonies. Those nations were initially conquest and vassal-state of Calimshan, but definitively have a "European" feel to them now that they gave broke free centuries ago.

The box set Empires of the Shining Sea covers Calimshan and Lands of the Lions/the Lake of Steam to the East of it (also former city-states or conquest of Calimshan).

Together these two gives a solid history of the area and a strongly intertwined background, I own both and I feel It's worth it.

Calimport, if a softcoverbook that focus on the main City-State of Calimsham so It's focus is obviously narrower.

Big Mac wrote:
Boneguard wrote:And no overt Spelljammer connection except for a crashed beholder mothership responsable for the Beholder plaguing the area...and a clearing in Tethyr used by spelljammer slaves to bring slaves to the Tears of Srlune and beyond


Wow really? That would be fantastic. :cool:

Or was that just a joke? :)

I gots to know!


Yeah no joke, Google "The War of Eyes" and you'll see (no pun intented).
Roleplaying is not a Hobby...it's a Way of Life.

Consolidated projet thread
User avatar
Boneguard
Frost Giant
 
Posts: 891
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:00 pm
Location: Gatineau (Quebec) Canada


Return to Forgotten Realms

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest