List of Undermountain resources

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

List of Undermountain resources

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:19 pm

I've been trying to learn more about Undermountain. We have some topics for some Undermountain RPG products (and resources) but not all of them. I thought I would make a master list of what is out there, so I can make sure I've not missed anything useful (that I might want to buy a copy of). I'd also be interested to hear about any Undermountain resources or references to Undermountain in products that are for other parts of Forgotten Realms, novels, comics or anything else.

I'd like to keep specific discussions out of this list topic. But I'll try to link this post to discussions in other topics, so that people can find lots of information about Undermountain by hopping over.

LIST OF UNDERMOUNTAIN RPG PRODUCTS:
  • The Ruins of Undermountain - Published 1991 for 2nd Edition
  • The Ruins of Undermountain II: The Deep Levels - Published 1994 for 2nd Edition
  • Undermountain: The Lost Level - Published 1996 for 2nd Edition
  • Undermountain: Maddgoth's Castle - Published 1996 for 2nd Edition
  • Undermountain: Stardock - Published 1996 for 2nd Edition
  • Skullport - Published 1999 for 2nd Edition
  • Expedition to Undermountain - Published 2007 for 3.5 Edition
  • Undermountain: Halaster's Lost Apprentice - Published 2010 for 4th Edition (D&D Encounters)
  • Halls of Undermountain - Published 2012 for 4th Edition
LIST OF RPG PRODUCTS WITH UNDERMOUNTAIN CONNECTIONS: LIST OF UNDERMOUNTAIN COMPUTER GAMES:
  • Descent to Undermountain - Published 1997 by Interplay
LIST OF COMPUTER GAMES WITH UNDERMOUNTAIN CONNECTIONS:
  • Neverwinter Nigts: Hordes of the Underdark - Expansion pack to Neverwinter Nights published 2003 by BioWare - Has a section of the game set in Undermountain
LIST OF UNDERMOUNTAIN NOVELS: LIST OF UNDERMOUNTAIN MAGAZINE ARTICLES:
  • Dragon Magazine 167: Game Wizards: Understanding Undermountain - The King of All Dungeons - Published 1991 - Design notes by Ed Greenwood
  • Dragon Magazine 227: Report from Undermountain - Published 1996 - Article giving in-character news of changes in Undermountain by Steven E. Schend
LAST EDIT (by Big Mac 14 Jan 2018): List of RPG Products with Undermountain Connections, List of Undermountan Computer Games, List of Computer Games with Undermountain Connections, List of Undermountain Novels and List of Undermountain Magazine Articles added.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: List of Undermountain resources

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:42 pm

I was thinking of adding a separate list of RPG products that include references to Undermountain. I had a skim through the 3rd Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and that has some Undermountain references. I'm thinking that could be a very very long list.

Does anyone know if there are any novels about Undermountain?

EDIT: I found a novel called Escape from Undermountain.
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

ghendar
Stone Giant

Post by ghendar » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:06 pm

Don't know if you're interested in this but there was a computer game called Descent To Undermountain.

I also found a couple Undermountain articles in Dragon Mag.
Dragon 167 - Article title is The Game Wizards written by Ed Greenwood.
Dragon 227 - The Reports From Undermountain written by Steven Schend.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:28 pm

ghendar wrote:Don't know if you're interested in this but there was a computer game called Descent To Undermountain.
Oh, yes! That's totally the sort of thing I'm looking for. Maybe someone has put up some guides to the game that could be used to build additional tabletop content for adventures in Undermountain.
ghendar wrote:I also found a couple Undermountain articles in Dragon Mag.
Dragon 167 - Article title is The Game Wizards written by Ed Greenwood.
Dragon 227 - The Reports From Undermountain written by Steven Schend.

I suspect (unconfirmed) both of these were basically Dragon Mag advertisements for both boxed sets.
Thanks. Can anyone confirm Ghendar's theory about this magazine issues?

ghendar
Stone Giant

Post by ghendar » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:35 pm

Okay, my theory is partially correct. The article in 167 is indeed kind of a teaser for the first boxed set. It gives some general details about UM to whet the appetite

The article in 227 is different and details the comings and goings of people entering UM from the Yawning Portal, as well as mentioning new entry points and even making some updates to the first level map that include cave ins. Interesting stuff.

brassdragon
Orc

Post by brassdragon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:05 am

Big Mac wrote:
ghendar wrote:Don't know if you're interested in this but there was a computer game called Descent To Undermountain.
Oh, yes! That's totally the sort of thing I'm looking for. Maybe someone has put up some guides to the game that could be used to build additional tabletop content for adventures in Undermountain.
If computer games count, then a section of Neverwinter Nigts: Hordes of the Underdark is set in Undermountain. This walkthrough has maps as well as summaries of the encounters.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:36 am

List of RPG Products with Undermountain Connections, List of Undermountan Computer Games, List of Computer Games with Undermountain Connections, List of Undermountain Novels and List of Undermountain Magazine Articles added.

Thanks Brassdragon and Ghendar. (I'm sure I will have to add other sections later.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:56 am

I've had a skim through the 3.5 book Underdark and can't find any mention of Undermountain. I wonder if it does not technically count as part of Forgotten Realms's Underdark for some reason. :?

ghendar
Stone Giant

Post by ghendar » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:12 pm

Big Mac wrote:I've had a skim through the 3.5 book Underdark and can't find any mention of Undermountain. I wonder if it does not technically count as part of Forgotten Realms's Underdark for some reason. :?
From what I remember, Undermountain has some connecting points to the Underdark but is not technically part of the Underdark.

ghendar
Stone Giant

Post by ghendar » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:32 pm

I was just leafing through FR1 Waterdeep and the North and it only contains the briefest of mentions of Undermountain with no real details given.

I also did a cursory check of both FR campaign box sets and The North box set and they don't really mention anything.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:38 pm

ghendar wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I've had a skim through the 3.5 book Underdark and can't find any mention of Undermountain. I wonder if it does not technically count as part of Forgotten Realms's Underdark for some reason. :?
From what I remember, Undermountain has some connecting points to the Underdark but is not technically part of the Underdark.
It looks that way. Although I have found an article on Forgotten Realms Wiki that says the area used to be called Melairbode. Maybe that older name is mentioned in Underdark sources that miss out Undermountain.
ghendar wrote:I was just leafing through FR1 Waterdeep and the North and it only contains the briefest of mentions of Undermountain with no real details given.

I also did a cursory check of both FR campaign box sets and The North box set and they don't really mention anything.
Shannon Appelcline does say on the blurb on DMs Guild, that FR1 Waterdeep and the North mostly focuses on Waterdeep itself. I guess I'll probably need to pick up FR1 at some point.

Do you know the pages in FR1 that mention Undermountain?

apotheot
Ogre

Post by apotheot » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:39 pm

Don't forget the Planescape adventure The Great Modron March takes a quick detour there. Also, the Fall of Myth Drannor has some nice information about an event called Halaster's Payback, which I found really amusing and pertinent to the story.
Edit
Oh, the Novel 'Once Around the Realms' visits there, as does 'The Paladins' novella and (iirc) 'Silverfall: Tales of the Seven Sisters'.
-Apotheot

lesh
Gnoll

Post by lesh » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:02 pm

you can find most of the sources here:

http://www.candlekeep.com/library/artic ... ermountain

vestcoat
Hobgoblin

Post by vestcoat » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:36 pm

There are significant Skullport sources in Dragon Magazine #172 and Dungeon #200 (4e pdf).
-
Nice list, lesh.

Zeromaru X
The Elder Wizard

Post by Zeromaru X » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:59 am

There is also info about an Skullport inn, the Broken Gauntlet, in Dragon 425 (4e pdf)

Return to “Forgotten Realms”