Undermountain: A Forgotten Realms Megadungeon

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Post Reply
User avatar
Seethyr
Fire Giant
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:07 am
Gender: male
Location: Tulom-Itzi

Undermountain: A Forgotten Realms Megadungeon

Post by Seethyr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:52 pm

The original Undermountain Boxed Set is still one of my favorite products to date. I used to stare at those massive maps for hours when I was younger. The 3e update didn't quite have the same effect on me, nor did UMII.

There was someone working on a stunning set of maps for the lower levels years ago, but if I remember correctly, he tragically passed during the process. Terrible thing to happen in more ways than one.

EDIT: Found an old link

MODERATOR NOTE (by Big Mac): Split from the: Return to Undermountain topic, as the conversation has moved to things of interest to all Undermountain fans
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us

User avatar
ghendar
Cranky Grognard
Posts: 668
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 8:11 pm
Gender: male
Location: Acererak's Rumpus Room

Re: Undermountain: A Forgotten Realms Megadungeon

Post by ghendar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Seethyr wrote:The original Undermountain Boxed Set is still one of my favorite products to date. I used to stare at those massive maps for hours when I was younger. The 3e update didn't quite have the same effect on me, nor did UMII.
I agree. After reading it, I immediately started stocking empty rooms. UMII was a massive disappointment. It suffers by disregarding everything that made UM appeal to me. The openness and the sandboxy nature, sadly a thing largely abandoned with later 2e products, was replaced with gimmicky crap (The construct level) or just so so crap (everything else). imo, of course. ;)

The 3e stuff was interesting but I agree, it didn't have the same effect. It's a shame the author didn't stock more rooms.
Last edited by ghendar on Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fifth registered member, bitches!

If the Unapproachable East was so unapproachable, how did anyone get there?

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23577
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Undermountain: A Forgotten Realms Megadungeon

Post by Big Mac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:11 am

ghendar wrote:
Seethyr wrote:The original Undermountain Boxed Set is still one of my favorite products to date. I used to stare at those massive maps for hours when I was younger. The 3e update didn't quite have the same effect on me, nor did UMII.
I agree. After reading it, I immediately started stocking empty rooms. UMII was a massive disappointment. It suffers by disregarding everything that made UM appeal to me. The openness and the sandboxy nature, sadly a thing largely abandoned with later 2e products, was replaced with gimmicky crap (The construct level) or just so so crap (everything else). imo, of course. ;)

The 3e stuff was interesting but I agree, it didn't have the same effect. It's a shame the author didn't stock more rooms.
You two talking about Ruins to Undermountain and Ruins of to Undermountain II makes me realise that we really should have more Undermountain topics on The Piazza (as well as having more Undermountain products in the Book-House). I've made a List of Undermountain resources topic, to help me collect details about the RPG products I need to add to the Book-House (in a way that is also useful to other people).

I'm wondering if I should split off most of the posts in this topic to make a generic Undermountain discussion, where we can talk about things other than Return to Undermountain. (I may do it, as I think it would help in the long term. I'll have to look how connected to the OP the posts are. :? )

EDIT: I split the topic in the end. :)
Seethyr wrote:There was someone working on a stunning set of maps for the lower levels years ago, but if I remember correctly, he tragically passed during the process. Terrible thing to happen in more ways than one.

EDIT: Found an old link
That's a great project. It's a shame the cartographer had that happen to him. I saw a few people saying that there was another person running the project and that they were trying to get it finished. But they seemed to drop off of the RADAR too.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Post Reply

Return to “Forgotten Realms”