Source for the claim that FR are "lost lands" from the perspective of Earth?

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Mystara Way
Orc

Source for the claim that FR are "lost lands" from the perspective of Earth?

Post by Mystara Way » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:08 am

The Wikipedia article on Forgotten Realms says:

"The premise is that, long ago, the Earth and the world of the Forgotten Realms were more closely connected. As time passed, the inhabitants of planet Earth have mostly forgotten about the existence of that other world – hence the term Forgotten Realms. On the original Forgotten Realms logo, which was used until 2000, small runic letters read "Herein lie the lost lands", an allusion to the connection between the two worlds."

I'm aware of various Earth-Toril connections such as the visits from Elminster to Wisconsin in the Wizards Three articles, the interplanar journey of the Mulhorandi and Utheric people and pantheons from Earth's Egypt and Mesopotamia to Toril, and Loviatar's source in the Finnish pantheon.

But what I'm wondering is, is there any textual source for the claim in the Wikipedia article that the Forgotten Realms are a sort of "forgotten" sibling of Earth? Did the old Gray Box speak of the Forgotten Realms like that? Anybody have the exact quotations which tie FR and Earth together in that mythic way?

Morfie
Metamorph

Re: Source for the claim that FR are "lost lands" from the perspective of Earth?

Post by Morfie » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:44 am

There's been interviews where Ed Greenwood has said as much.

Dragon 244:

The “Forgotten Realms” name originally came from the notion of a “multiverse” of parallel worlds. Our Earth is one, the Realms another. In Greenwood’s original conception, Earth’s fantastic legends derive from a fantasy world that we‘ve now lost the way to-hence, the Forgotten Realms. “Concerns over possible lawsuits (kids getting hurt while trying to ‘find a gate’) led TSR to de-emphasize this meaning,” he says.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Source for the claim that FR are "lost lands" from the perspective of Earth?

Post by Big Mac » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:47 pm

Mystara Way wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:08 am
The Wikipedia article on Forgotten Realms says:

"The premise is that, long ago, the Earth and the world of the Forgotten Realms were more closely connected. As time passed, the inhabitants of planet Earth have mostly forgotten about the existence of that other world – hence the term Forgotten Realms. On the original Forgotten Realms logo, which was used until 2000, small runic letters read "Herein lie the lost lands", an allusion to the connection between the two worlds."

I'm aware of various Earth-Toril connections such as the visits from Elminster to Wisconsin in the Wizards Three articles, the interplanar journey of the Mulhorandi and Utheric people and pantheons from Earth's Egypt and Mesopotamia to Toril, and Loviatar's source in the Finnish pantheon.

But what I'm wondering is, is there any textual source for the claim in the Wikipedia article that the Forgotten Realms are a sort of "forgotten" sibling of Earth? Did the old Gray Box speak of the Forgotten Realms like that? Anybody have the exact quotations which tie FR and Earth together in that mythic way?
There really should be an inline citation for that claim.

If you look though the text, the citations have numbers like this ("[1]") with a "References" section at the bottom of the page telling you what source to look up for more details on the specific fact that is covered by the citation.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:23 pm

If you have access to it, "Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms" has a picture of one of Ed's original documents in page 7, that states something similar to what Morfie quoted.

It also adds the existence of magical gates that link the Earth with the Realms and many other worlds, and that such knowledge has been forgotten, hence the name of the setting. And that our legends about magic, dragons, vampires and other fantastic stuff, are in fact distorted accounts of a time when travel between those worlds was common.

Mystara Way
Orc

Post by Mystara Way » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:25 pm

wow - cool thanks Morfie and Zeromaru - I had no idea the extent of this Earth-Toril framework.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:34 pm

Interesting. I think intuitively that is how I always viewed the Forgotten Realms but having it confirmed is sweet... and opens up many urban arcana avenues for a modern world campaign.

Cromstar
Orc

Post by Cromstar » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:04 am

I think there may have even been a Dungeon adventure set in the hinterlands near Cormyr where a portal to Wisconsin was dropping random real world stuff on the locals...including eventually an dude who was an...accountant? real estate agent? Something mundane and business-y like that.

Found it. Dungeon 14: A Question of Balance. An insurance salesman (from Lake Geneva, WI) and a monster from another dimension are both brought to a village in the Thunder Peaks of Cormyr by a "spontaneous gate", and the two were deposited in the FR as part of some kind of weird "vector balancing" that these gates sometimes use (normally these gates just transpose two objects from their respective worlds). This was printed in 1988, so they were definitely will to still play with that angle in some ways then.

Return to “Forgotten Realms”