Foreshadowing The Spellplague/Returned Abeir

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Foreshadowing The Spellplague/Returned Abeir

Post by Big Mac » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:02 pm

I don't play in the 4th Edition Era, but have picked up a few 4th Edition (and 5th Edition) books including Forgotten Realms content.

One thing I've been wondering for a while is, if there is a way to use later books in earlier editions.

Obviously new things can be rebooted, but I'm wondering if there are any ways to use the major events of The Spellplague or Returned Abeir, without actually going into the 4th Edition Era.

Has anyone got any thoughts on how to foreshadow either of these events?

What would potentially be happening with the Spellplague in the 3rd Edition Era or 2nd Edition Era? Were there any threats of the Spellplague before it happened? Could it have affected one of the other celestial bodies in Realmspace? Could an earlier version of the Spellplague be contained and stamped out? Could the Spellplague itself be rebooted to create an earlier form that is less serious (foreshadowing the actual Spellplague without actually being the Spellplague)?

Is there anything that can be done with Abeir in earlier eras?

Could it be "discovered" as what appears (at that time) to be just another different planet/plane that has connections to Toril?

Are there any Abeir factions that could come to the Realms in smaller numbers?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: Foreshadowing The Spellplague/Returned Abeir

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:05 am

Well, there are hints that dragons of Toril were somehow in contact with those of Abeir during the Time of Dragons. A good way to foreshade Abeir existence is by using those portals. The older dragons perhaps can be still guarding these portals, and perhaps have a few dragonborn as servants (though to be rare breeds of half-dragons by some). I can even theorize that many Torilian dragons fled to Abeir when the Dracorage started (before they lost all their ancient knowledge).

Also, in Bruce Cordell's novels (Stardeep, specially) is mentioned that the aberrations (aboleths, mind flayers, et all) had a civilization before they were sent to Abeir. I won't be surprised if the aboleths, belholders, mind flayers, etc. have ways to traverse both worlds.

About the Spellplague, it needs very specific stuff to happen (killing Mystra/destroying the Weave while you're powered by energies from the Far Realm, and while Abeir is in conjuction with Toril), so it is really difficult to replicate. But, flares of Spellplague can appear in earlier eras, and even in the future, as the Spellplague also messed with the timeline. There is a place in Gontal that connects with many places in Abeir and Toril across the years because of the Spellplague (it even has a door that leads to a year were Mystril was alive, for instance). This place can be useful for your purposes as well.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:33 am

It would be interesting to have PCs visit Abeir before the Spellplague. Should its map be the same of Toril except for Laerakond in the middle of the sea?
Editor of Threshold, the Mystara Magazine: http://pandius.com/thrs_mag.html

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:18 pm

I don't think so. Abeir's main continent, Shyr (Faerun's equivalent) is more like Faerun was before the creation of Evermeet. And Laerakond was also different before the Spellplague. For instance, Tymanther was part of Laerakond, and it seems that there are parts of Laerakond that were not ported to Toril during the Spellplague, according to Erin's novels.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:07 pm

So there is no map of Abeir apparently, I just found this thread http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread ... p-of-Abeir
that thing should have been done better, as everything else in 4ed FR. It has potential, but there aren't just enough information.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:45 pm

Oh, that is Markustay's map of Laerakond. I've heard it had Ed's blessing. Markus even lend me some info of the "houseruled" parts of the map.

Sturm
Blue Dragon

Post by Sturm » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:24 am

Really, so Wizards didn't even release a detailed map?
Anyway this would be only a part of Abeir and we do not have any clue about the shape of the other continents, I guess.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:52 pm

The other land of Abeir that we have any info of it, is the kingdom of Shyr, and only a few bits of info. And the mountain range described in Erin's novels.

Return to “Forgotten Realms”