Grey Box Cover Art

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Grey Box Cover Art

Post by Havard » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:51 pm

I always liked the art on the cover of the FR Grey Box and the cover art for the book inside. Both, I believe by Keith Parkinson. I always found it interesting that both feature people on horseback and the dude looks somewhat exotic, possibly from a nomadic culture.

Now, does this art in any way connect to any characters, cultures or regions in the FR? Or is this just random cool art for the boxed set?

I'm a noob when it comes to the FR so please forgive me if this is a stupid question :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Re: Grey Box Cover Art

Post by night_druid » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:04 pm

The Cyclopedia image also featured on Darkwalker on the Moonshae, so I assumed it depicted the battle at the end of the book.

I want to say the other image is a nomad from The Ride, north of the Moonsea. I'm sure scouring Candlekeep's So Sayth Ed topics might reveal his identity.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

dazzlerdal
Hobgoblin

Post by dazzlerdal » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:26 pm

I don't believe it was of anyone in particular or from any event. From what I can make out, most people refer to the guy on the cover as Dude on a Horse. George Krashos recently did an article for a gen-con that detailed one Daoud yn Ahorz which is the closest thing to an official explanation that you will find.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:00 am

dazzlerdal wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:26 pm
I don't believe it was of anyone in particular or from any event. From what I can make out, most people refer to the guy on the cover as Dude on a Horse. George Krashos recently did an article for a gen-con that detailed one Daoud yn Ahorz which is the closest thing to an official explanation that you will find.
"Daoud yn Ahorz." I love it!

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:30 am

Well, according to the wiki, this guy is an NPC from the card game named Thunderstorm.

Cthulhudrew
Green Dragon

Post by Cthulhudrew » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:45 am

night_druid wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:04 pm
The Cyclopedia image also featured on Darkwalker on the Moonshae, so I assumed it depicted the battle at the end of the book.
It has been a long while since I read Darkwalker, but your assumption jibes with my recollection of the final scenes of that novel.
Moderator of the Mystara and Greyhawk forums. My moderator voice is gray-green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:04 pm

Zeromaru X wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:30 am
Well, according to the wiki, this guy is an NPC from the card game named Thunderstorm.
Nice find!

I wonder how many people have put Thunderstorm in their games.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:19 pm

The javelin wielding horseman was not associated with any specific character but when they ransacked TSR art for the trading cards they assigned him a name. Up to you how 'canon' that is, the TSR trading cards just took art randomly and had character names and stats assigned to them, in some cases the names assigned did not mesh with the art's original caption (the Mouser, for example, appears several times under different names, as does Gord the Rogue, IIRC). I'm fairly certain Jeff Grubb had also given him a short back story, searching old Dragon magazines or some of the older forums might turn it up.

The other art is fro the cover of Darkwalker on Moonshae as noted, it depicts the fight between the Bloodriders and the elven Sisters of Synnoria during the battle at Corwell, IIRC.

Icarus
Ogre

Post by Icarus » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:19 pm
… the TSR trading cards just took art randomly and had character names and stats assigned to them, in some cases the names assigned did not mesh with the art's original caption (the Mouser, for example, appears several times under different names, as does Gord the Rogue, IIRC)....
This is a little bit misleading.
While it isn't inaccurate, it seems to intentionally cast the topic in a purposefully less-than-flattering light.
The first point is that poor choices on the part of the Art Director do not change whether something is canon, or not. But, let's not let this devolve into a question about "canon".

But, strictly on the topic of art - it was only in the first run of the cards that used characters from earlier works. And it wasn't random … the project coordinator stated in print that they'd intentionally selected specific NPCs they'd wanted to portray, like the entire Circle of Eight.
The first released set used art that had graced the covers of TSR products of all different types. The design team first worked on the assumption that so many fans had expressed interest in knowing about characters on the covers of books that they'd want that information in the trading cards.
Though still bought in the millions, there were some who expressed discontent with seeing "recycled" art. While still very successful in sales, the editors decided in subsequent years to custom order art for the cards.
The fact that this thread exists proves the point that some people want to know who they are.

And while there were a couple of efforts that missed the mark, like couple of uses of an image of Gord to portray other rogues similar in appearance to him, there were dozens more who depicted precisely the named character who was originally illustrated - like some of the other characters from the Gord novels. There were hundreds of cards that had correctly named and illustrated art (if not thousands, since there were 2,066 cards).

In sum, it is certainly up to individual players what content they like to use in their games, but it doesn't really change whether the NPC is named in a source. But, again, anyone is certainly allowed to have fun and name that NPC anything else they'd like other than what's in a source.

[EIDT: Also, come to find out, the name didn't originate with the trading cards! :o
In 1988, TSR licensed Ral Partha to create miniatures for many of the iconic characters of the Realms, and the miniature that was based on the "Horseman by the Lake" by Keith Parkinson on the cover was given the "Thunderstorm" name. ]
"And he did fly,... and he was seen on the wings of the wind."
My online Gallery of Artwork. Take a look at my illustrations!

Icarus
Ogre

Post by Icarus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:58 am

Icarus wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 pm
GMWestermeyer wrote:
… the TSR trading cards just took art randomly and had character names and stats assigned to them, in some cases the names assigned did not mesh with the art's original caption (the Mouser, for example, appears several times under different names, as does Gord the Rogue, IIRC)....
While it isn't inaccurate, it seems to intentionally cast the topic in a purposefully less-than-flattering light.
The first point is that poor choices on the part of the Art Director do not change whether something is canon, or not. But, let's not let this devolve into a question about "canon".

But, strictly on the topic of art - it was only in the first run of the cards that used characters from earlier works. And it wasn't random … the project coordinator stated in print that they'd intentionally selected specific NPCs they'd wanted to portray, like the entire Circle of Eight.
The first released set used art that had graced the covers of TSR products of all different types. The design team first worked on the assumption that so many fans had expressed interest in knowing about characters on the covers of books that they'd want that information in the trading cards.
Though still bought in the millions, there were some who expressed discontent with seeing "recycled" art. While still very successful in sales, the editors decided in subsequent years to custom order art for the cards.
The fact that this thread exists proves the point that some people want to know who they are.

And while there were a couple of efforts that missed the mark, like couple of uses of an image of Gord to portray other rogues similar in appearance to him, there were dozens more who depicted precisely the named character who was originally illustrated - like some of the other characters from the Gord novels. There were many, many cards that had correctly named and illustrated art since there were 2,066 cards in 1991 alone, and thousands and thousands more that were original art from 1991 to 1993.

In sum, it is certainly up to individual players what content they like to use in their games, but it doesn't really change whether the NPC is named in a source. But, again, anyone is certainly allowed to have fun and name that NPC anything else they'd like other than what's in a source.

[EIDT: Also, come to find out, the name didn't originate with the trading cards! :o
In 1988, TSR licensed Ral Partha to create miniatures for many of the iconic characters of the Realms, and the miniature that was based on the "Horseman by the Lake" by Keith Parkinson on the cover was given the "Thunderstorm" name. ]

Icarus
Ogre

Post by Icarus » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:01 am

Icarus wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:58 am
Icarus wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 pm
GMWestermeyer wrote:

And while there were a couple of efforts that missed the mark, like couple of uses of an image of Gord to portray other rogues similar in appearance to him, there were dozens more who depicted precisely the named character who was originally illustrated - like some of the other characters from the Gord novels. There were many, many cards that had correctly named and illustrated art since there were 2,066 cards from 1991 to 1993 and more were original art than the small minority which weren't.

Return to “Forgotten Realms”