[Realmspace] Zodiac/Constellations

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Argentmantle
Hill Giant

[Realmspace] Zodiac/Constellations

Post by Argentmantle » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:55 am

Just was wondering if anyone has a list, or preferably an image, of the zodiac or constellations in the Realms?

Of all the things I can't find in any of my source books.

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Re: [Realmspace] Zodiac/Constellations

Post by Zeromaru X » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:14 am

I don't know if there is a zodiac, but the wiki list a few constellations and stars within Realmspace.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Realmspace

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:08 am

I started making "master topics" for crystal spheres. My Realmspace - the Forgotten Realms/Spelljammer crossover topic includes a list of all the constellations I could identify. (I last updated that topic on the 14th January 2018, so if WotC have put constellations in any 5th Edition product published since then, it won't be listed there...yet.)

There are actually pictures of constellations in the Neverwinter computer quest: Omens of the Stars, but I suspect the best chance for Zodiac constellations are the Zakharan constellations, from The Complete Sha'ir's Handbook. There are twelve of those. (Only 11 are specifically named.) Forgotten Realms wiki says that each of the twelve Zakharan constellations was only visible for three months of the years. That would imply that they are all placed evenly around the sky and that they could be used for timekeeping,
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:17 pm

Here is a Candleep topic that a FR fan called Jason found: Astrology in the Realms.

This is an (unsourced) quote of an answer that Ed Greenwood gave Wooly (Rupert?) in a So Saith Ed conversation:
Ed Greenwood wrote:
Wolly wrote:I was reading the Dragon Magazine article on fantasy astrological signs, earlier this eve... It made me ponder a couple of things. Though both topics have been discussed, I don't believe anyone has ever thought to ask Ed. So... Does astrology exist in the Realms? Is there a zodiac? And what constellations exist in the Realms?
Yes, Wooly, there’s astrology in the Realms, though not by that name and not as we know it. Rather, soothsayers and fortune-tellers use the position of the stars (and sometimes, especially in the Shining South and Calimshan, by the position of tokens tossed blindly onto a star-chart) as one influence in predictions and divinations. There’s no zodiac by that name, nor are people deemed to have characteristics because of the “sign they’re born under” (as real-world astrology has it) or “year they’re born in” (as in real-world Chinese beliefs). Rather, individuals are said to be marked by a “guiding star” or “falling star” (comet or meteor shower), or by a conjunction of constellations that may have occurred at their birth (particularly if this conjunction is rare, or has a fell reputation).
There ARE constellations in the Realms, and I’ve provided some sketchy star-lore in print over the years, Elaine and others contributing more. As Eric said, AJA has done a very good job of gathering it all together (as well as weaving in his own lore) - - and I’m afraid I can’t comment too much more on the constellations, because, again, TSR is sitting on paid-for but unpublished Ed Greenwood lore, so an NDA applies.
That was posted in 2010, before Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms and The Grand History of the Realms. It might be worth having a flip through those two books to see if either of them has ecliptic constellations that are used for timekeeping (under a name other than zodiac constellations).

Here is the Wayback Machine link to the: Stars and Contellations of Faerun website.

That lists a few sources I don't have listed in my Realmspace master topic, so I'm going to have to check those out.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Return to “Forgotten Realms”