Walking Statue of Waterdeep: The Honorable Knight - What is it?

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Walking Statue of Waterdeep: The Honorable Knight - What is it?

Post by Havard »

I saw they made a miniature of it which is so big it is almost ridiculous. I wanted to pick it up, but it makes even my miniatures of dragons, Orcus, Demogorgon etc look tiny.

Where was this creature introduced first? What is it etc?

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Dread Delgath
Storm Giant

Re: Walking Statue of Waterdeep: The Honorable Knight - What is it?

Post by Dread Delgath »

The Walking Statues of Waterdeep are like stone golems that come to life to defend the city against a large scale assault.

I do not know when they were introduced, but I did read about them in either Dragon Heist or Dungeon of the Mad Mage.
“Did I do anything wrong today, or has the world always been like this and I've been too wrapped up in myself to notice?”

lookatroopa
Hobgoblin

Post by lookatroopa »

When the Honorable Knight was introduced kind of depends on how you look at things. The original singular Walking Statue of Waterdeep (now known as the Sahuagin Humbled) was introduced in 1E's FR1 Waterdeep and the North. 2E's City of Splendors boxed set expanded the amount of Walking Statues to eight, hidden about the city (clarified in 3E's City of Splendors: Waterdeep to be in the ethereal plane). 4E's Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide states that the Spellplague drew out all Walking Statues, and its magical effects sent some of them into a frenzy across the city. Waterdeep: Dragon Heist names and differentiates all of the Statues, thus "introducing" the Honorable Knight, despite the fact that it's been around as long as second edition.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard »

lookatroopa wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:48 pm
When the Honorable Knight was introduced kind of depends on how you look at things. The original singular Walking Statue of Waterdeep (now known as the Sahuagin Humbled) was introduced in 1E's FR1 Waterdeep and the North. 2E's City of Splendors boxed set expanded the amount of Walking Statues to eight, hidden about the city (clarified in 3E's City of Splendors: Waterdeep to be in the ethereal plane). 4E's Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide states that the Spellplague drew out all Walking Statues, and its magical effects sent some of them into a frenzy across the city. Waterdeep: Dragon Heist names and differentiates all of the Statues, thus "introducing" the Honorable Knight, despite the fact that it's been around as long as second edition.
Thanks for the summary of the statues and their history lookatroopa! That is very useful. Are all the statues as large as the Honorable Knight? I wonder if they will make miniatures for more of them...

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

lookatroopa wrote:
There is a Walking Statues of Waterdeep article on Forgotten Realms Wiki, but it doesn't mention any 4e or 2e sources.

I'd be interested to know what those other books said about these statues.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Cromstar
Ogre

Post by Cromstar »

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 4:25 pm
lookatroopa wrote:
There is a Walking Statues of Waterdeep article on Forgotten Realms Wiki, but it doesn't mention any 4e or 2e sources.

I'd be interested to know what those other books said about these statues.
City of Splendors has the following bits:

-There is one well-known, visible walking statue, found at the top of the Cliffride. Generally the one referred to as 'the walking statue'. The book also refers to this one as found "at the Gull Leap at the western end of Julthoon Street". Book is super ambiguous and I thought these were two different statues until I had math troubles in the next point.

-The book identifies 8 statues canon statues in total:
:2 at the base of the Cliffwatch (there are rumors throughout the city about these two, but Khelben will not confirm them)
:1 at the Gull Leap, which is the top of the Cliffride and the one known, confirmed statue
:2 are located within Mount Waterdeep, set to defend Khelben's tower or Piergeiron's Palace if they should be attacked. One of these statues is part of a series of magic traps laid on Ahghairon's Tower, and if the magical defenses protecting the tower are dispelled, it will teleport to the tower and attack the one responsible. It seems likely these are both similarly set up to teleport from inside the mountain to Khelben's tower and the Palace if needed to defend them
:3 magically hidden beneath (one each at) the Northgate, South Gate, and River Gate

-The statues are given stats; other than for combat, the only relevant stat is that they are each 90 feet tall. They all have the form of a large, regal human with an impassive face. The statues have some unique properties, but are otherwise treated as stone golems of an unusual size (GUSes?)

-There are rumors that the total number of statues is 8, or 9, or more. The book confirms there are eight (listed above), at least at the point in time of the book's setting (about 9 years after the Time of Troubles).

-Only Khelben or Piergeiron can activate or use the statues, except for the two that are magically trapped, and with a caveat found below

-In the middle of the year 1367 DR (the year of the book's setting essentially) during the month(?) of Uktar, the statue from the Gull Leap is moved, having been re-placed in the courtyard of Khelben's tower, curled up like a crying child; the perpetrator is unknown, but those with knowledge know its dangerous for an unknown third party to be able to activate the statues (which should be impossible, see above). This entry is not a rumor according to the book, and also implies that the facial expressions *can* be changed (Khelben just prefers not to apparently since they are all impassive otherwise).

That's pretty much everything in City of Splendors.

Return to “Forgotten Realms”