Wonders of Toril

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.
apotheot
Troll

Wonders of Toril

Post by apotheot »

From the Sages of the Forgotten Realms FB group:

Louis Carlos
10 hrs

"What are the Wonders of Faerun if any?
(Constructs or sights akin to our 7 wonders of the ancient world, the gardens of babylon, Colossus of Rhode, the Sphinx etc)

That are famous across the land and inspire awe.

Bridge of Silverymoon?

Myth Drannor? No it's gone.

Evermeet? Inaccessible.

Let's do a research. If able post pictures too."

I pointed out that is should not be confined to just Faerûn, as things like the Dragonwall or The Twin Visages of Payit might qualify. I would be curious to hear what the group here thinks...
-Apotheot

(mods feel free to post piazza link in FB conversation.)

Seethyr
Couatl

Re: Wonders of Toril

Post by Seethyr »

Before it’s Descent Into hell I’d have said the Companion of Elturel. Maybe also the Walking Statues of Waterdeep. Menziberranzan itself? The Great Rift? Candlekeep’s library?

Wow, for an intensely magical land, there’s actually quite a lack of interesting sights. I feel like the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center in NYC Is more interesting to visit than many of those.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Zeromaru X
Scion of Arkhosia

Post by Zeromaru X »

I guess that, in a world of magic, where you can do almost anything with a spell, it's very difficult to catalogue something as a marvel. That something need to be unique, very hard to build and to replicate, even with magic.

So, I guess stuff like Djerad Thymar, the Citadel of the Raven, the Companion (until destroyed), the Moonbridge of Silverymoon, Karador, the floating obelisk of Xxiphu and the gardens of Neverwinter (that remain green and colorful all year round regardless of climate) would qualify.

Dunno about the Walking Statues. Are they replicable?

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Seethyr wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:45 am
Wow, for an intensely magical land, there’s actually quite a lack of interesting sights. I feel like the Christmas Tree at Rockefeller Center in NYC Is more interesting to visit than many of those.
This made me laugh. Thank you for that. :)
Zeromaru X wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:55 pm
So, I guess stuff like Djerad Thymar, the Citadel of the Raven, the Companion (until destroyed), the Moonbridge of Silverymoon, Karador, the floating obelisk of Xxiphu and the gardens of Neverwinter (that remain green and colorful all year round regardless of climate) would qualify.
I was also going to suggest Djerad Thymar. Its origins are steeped in divine magic, and its architecture is unique. If it were on Earth, it would be incredible. But I agree that it doesn't quite feel "magical" enough to be on a list in a high-fantasy world.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac »

Our friends over at the Candlekeep forums have you covered: Art, Architecture, and the Wonders of Faerun.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Post by Tim Baker »

Big Mac wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:24 pm
Our friends over at the Candlekeep forums have you covered: Art, Architecture, and the Wonders of Faerun.
Good find!

lesh
Gnoll

Post by lesh »

found this Wonders list.

Return to “Forgotten Realms”