[4e] Neverwinter sourcebook

The home of Elminster, Alias, Azoun, Khelben, and Drizzt the dark elf. Well met, traveller, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms!
The Book-House: Find Forgotten Realms products.

[4e] Neverwinter sourcebook

Postby rabindranath72 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:52 pm

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx ... /317290000

So it seems this will come out in August. Does anybody know whether it will require the other two 4e FR books? I have found a new group of players who are keen on trying 4e, so I have bought the core books again :o and this would be a nice, focused setting I could easily use if stand-alone.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Re: [4e] Neverwinter sourcebook

Postby BotWizo » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:22 pm

I can give you a heads up once it comes out, I will buy it.

Unless you don't want to wait.

I have been getting my 4E books from amazon so I won't have it until a couple of days after the official release date.
If I buy it at the lgs then I would have it earlier than the release since they are a premier store, but the only way I will do that is if Amazon doesn't give discounts on the book.
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:44 am

Thank you, I thought there was some information somewhere which I missed. I just re-acquired the 4e core books so it will be some time before I start an actual game (I too buy mostly from amazon; I got a 34% discount on the 4e collector's edition; the single books cost more!)
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby NeilCFord » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:49 pm

There's a slightly detailed description at http://wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4pr/20110705

It looks like none of the other books are required, but we won't know for definate until it's released.

- Neil.
NeilCFord
Orc

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:14 pm

I got an answer from one of the authors, and indeed, the book is independent from the others, though he notes that some background information on the Realms might make the gaming experience richer. Since I already have the 3e FRCS and 1e Gray box, the information should be enough. I hope the book can be used in the time frame of the 1e box (i.e. before the Time of Troubles.)
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby NeilCFord » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:15 pm

Cool. I'm concentrating on the area of the Nentir Vale, so this isn't on my shopping list. Will be interested to hear what others think of it though.

- Neil.
NeilCFord
Orc

Postby Dragonhelm » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:36 am

I just picked up the book, but I haven't had a chance to look it over yet. It looks like a great place to adventure, though. Lots of factions.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Knightfall » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:56 am

Dragonhelm wrote:I just picked up the book, but I haven't had a chance to look it over yet. It looks like a great place to adventure, though. Lots of factions.

So, what do you think? If you've had a chance to look it over, which I'm assuming you have.
Robert Blezard | Knightfall's Almagra and Otherworlds | Knightfall Press | Kulan World Journal | Spelljammer Gone Wild
"I write; therefore, I am!"
Homebrewed Worlds Index
Moderator for World of Kulan. My moderator voice is BROWN-ORANGE.
Knightfall
God Emperor of Kulan

Postby BotWizo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:09 pm

I just received the book yesterday, I have been swamped, I barely get my character stated up each week for our sunday campaign, and I am only a player, and we just advanced to second level so there is not a lot of work you have to do.

anyway...

something interesting from a first skim, there is the Real world version of the city, then there is the shadowfell version also in the book, since the city has a mirror image in the shadowfell.
The book seems neat so far, I guess I will let you know as I read through it more.
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Postby Birchbeer » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:01 pm

I got the book because it was based primarily on beginning adventures (and some nostalgia for Neverwinter Nights) and the bladesinger. What I thought was cool were the themes that let you play a wererat or werewolf.
Birchbeer
Stone Giant

Postby BotWizo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:15 pm

What I am learning in the campaign we just started, is that choosing a theme in the char builder, nets you an extra encounter power or some other benefit at first level and various levels throughout.

Kind of cool.
BotWizo
Fire Giant

Postby Big Mac » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:51 am

I had a flick through Neverwinter Campaign Setting in Forbidden Planet and I'd say it is definitely a campaign setting rather than a sourcebook.

It looked fairly interesting. There were stats, but it seemed like there were less stats than FRCS, so I think this may work for people using retro-rules.

The thing that jumped out most to me was that there were a couple a new types of illithid-connected monsters (altered by the Spellplague) that someone might want to retro-convert. I guess that makes this a post-Spellplague setting and that must mean that Neverwinter didn't get blown up. :?
Last edited by Big Mac on Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dragonhelm » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:38 am

Knightfall wrote:
Dragonhelm wrote:I just picked up the book, but I haven't had a chance to look it over yet. It looks like a great place to adventure, though. Lots of factions.

So, what do you think? If you've had a chance to look it over, which I'm assuming you have.

Neverwinter redeemed the 4th edition Realms for me. ;)

I really enjoyed this book. In fact, I'd like to read the Neverwinter trilogy now. If time permitted, I'd run a Neverwinter game.

So yes, this book is well worth it.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Seethyr » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:04 am

Dragonhelm wrote:
Knightfall wrote:

Neverwinter redeemed the 4th edition Realms for me. ;)

I really enjoyed this book. In fact, I'd like to read the Neverwinter trilogy now. If time permitted, I'd run a Neverwinter game.

Wonderful news! Going to pick up a copy next week.
All Maztica Alive Netbooks Available in the Link:The Maztica Alive Campaign

Newest Book: TWC6 True World Bestiary II - Monsters A-H

Maztica Alive! Yahoo Group Join Us
Seethyr
Fire Giant

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:11 am

Big Mac wrote:The thing that jumped out most to me was that there were a couple a new types of illithid-connected monsters (altered by the Spellplague) that someone might want to retro-convert. I guess that makes this a post-Spellplague setting and that must mean that Neverwinter didn't get blown up. :?

It blew up (though apparently not a result of the Spellplague) but has been slowly rebuilt.
rabindranath72
White Dragon

Postby Paladyn » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:03 am

Big Mac wrote:I had a flick through Neverwinter Campaign Setting in Forbidden Planet and I'd say it is definitely a campaign setting rather than a sourcebook.

Being Second Edition guy, i'd call it rather Campaign Expansion. You still need some information about world or pantheon from Campaign Setting. Nevertheless it is a great book and I fell in love with it instantly.
Paladyn
Gnoll

Postby Bouv » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:22 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:I got an answer from one of the authors, and indeed, the book is independent from the others, though he notes that some background information on the Realms might make the gaming experience richer. Since I already have the 3e FRCS and 1e Gray box, the information should be enough. I hope the book can be used in the time frame of the 1e box (i.e. before the Time of Troubles.)

It'd be tough to use it before the Time of Troubles or even the Spellplague as the city has been greatly altered (i.e. ruined) during the Spellplague and events after it.

I'm also done reading it. I like some of the things they've done (aboleths!) but others not too much of a fan of (even more options for characters to keep track of!). And I swear 4E is afraid of maps...we get one decent map in the entire thing.
Bouv
Cloud Giant

Postby Paladyn » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Finished reading and wrote a review today. In my opinion it is very good setting, especially because of "Choose tour version" feature. It is a great toolbox I hope to use in future.
Paladyn
Gnoll

Postby Big Mac » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:07 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:Neverwinter redeemed the 4th edition Realms for me. ;)

Looks like I'll be going back to Forbidden Planet to have another skim through this book. When the 3e Dragonlance Campaign Setting came out, complete with two of my favourite deities getting the boot, Krynn being moved somewhere else and Nehzmyth being swapped for Shinare, I went back to the bookshop I saw it in about 20 times*, looking up individual things and taking notes before grudgingly buying it*. I'm not sure if I'll be buying Neverwinter Campaign Setting. My initial thought is that, as a 4e era product, it is probably too far into the future for me. But being able to retro-convert the illithid-critters is probably something that will tempt me to look at this a second and probably third time.

* = In between waving my pitchfork and torch at the new 3e Dragonlance changes.

** = And then came to accept the changes and went on to buy (almost) the entire 3e Dragonlance product line from MWP (making Dragonlance the first 3e setting I invested totally in).

rabindranath72 wrote:
Big Mac wrote:The thing that jumped out most to me was that there were a couple a new types of illithid-connected monsters (altered by the Spellplague) that someone might want to retro-convert. I guess that makes this a post-Spellplague setting and that must mean that Neverwinter didn't get blown up. :?

It blew up (though apparently not a result of the Spellplague) but has been slowly rebuilt.

Hmm. So I either need an old map (which apparently is not provided according to other posts) or need to find a map somewhere else to be able to use Neverwinter in a 3e context. Thanks for the clarification. Again, this is a read-it-in-the-shop thing for me, not a get-off-your-bum-and-buy-it-now thing.

Palladine wrote:
Big Mac wrote:I had a flick through Neverwinter Campaign Setting in Forbidden Planet and I'd say it is definitely a campaign setting rather than a sourcebook.

Being Second Edition guy, i'd call it rather Campaign Expansion. You still need some information about world or pantheon from Campaign Setting. Nevertheless it is a great book and I fell in love with it instantly.

<takes off third edition head>
<blows dust off of second edition head>
<puts on second edition head>
OK to clarify, I would not call this a Campaign Expansion. It is definitely a campaign setting, along the lines of Maztica, Kara-Tur or The Horde. If this was done under 2e, I would have expected it to be a boxed set, with the book content split up into two or three books and a bunch of cards and four maps.

They could have made it more of a Campaign Expansion, so that you needed Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide to use it. I would have expected it to be a Campaign Expansion, but it feels more like a new setting that just happens to be next to Faerun.

From what you say, you need some information from FRCG, but that is the case with all the 2e campaign settings too. (The Horde was especially bad for this, as it required you to have both Faerun stuff and Kara-Tur stuff.)

In fact, given that I heard detractors of FRCG say that Neverwinter had been blown up (a couple of years back) I was initially wondering if Neverwinter Campaign Setting would be a 4e book set in the 3e era. I really had no idea what it was going to be.
<takes off second edition head>
<looks for third edition head>

Bouv wrote:
rabindranath72 wrote:I got an answer from one of the authors, and indeed, the book is independent from the others, though he notes that some background information on the Realms might make the gaming experience richer. Since I already have the 3e FRCS and 1e Gray box, the information should be enough. I hope the book can be used in the time frame of the 1e box (i.e. before the Time of Troubles.)

It'd be tough to use it before the Time of Troubles or even the Spellplague as the city has been greatly altered (i.e. ruined) during the Spellplague and events after it.

I suppose that if you did not care about canon, you could use 1e, 2e, 3e and 4e Realms material together and iron out any major conflicts between the editions. You could maybe even make the Spellplague into a regional thing, that decimated certain areas (where you use 4e material) and died out before reaching other areas (where you use 3e, 2e, or 1e material).

Bouv wrote:I'm also done reading it. I like some of the things they've done (aboleths!) but others not too much of a fan of (even more options for characters to keep track of!). And I swear 4E is afraid of maps...we get one decent map in the entire thing.

I'll have to read the bit about aboleths in Forbidden Planet. (I hope they don't read The Piazza or they will be looking out for me on the security camera. :shock: )

Palladine wrote:Finished reading and wrote a review today. In my opinion it is very good setting, especially because of "Choose tour version" feature. It is a great toolbox I hope to use in future.

Link please. :)

As a 2e fan, I'd be especially interested in your pros and cons as I like a lot about the 2e era (and have even thought about converting the dead deities from 2e to 3e rules and ignoring that bit of 3e canon).
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Dragonhelm » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:47 am

Big Mac wrote: <takes off third edition head>
<blows dust off of second edition head>
<puts on second edition head>

* /me wonders if Big Mac realizes I switched his 2e head for a 4e head, and that he has it on backwards. ;)
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Postby Big Mac » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:32 pm

DMs Guild now have the 4th Edition Neverwinter Campaign Setting on Print on Demand format.

They are offering two PoD options Softcover Colour Book and Hardcover Colour Book. The hardcover book is about the same sort of price I'm seeing for the original book on the Book-House's Amazon price checking gizmo, but the softcover is quite a bit cheaper (£18.69 UKP or $24.99 USD as I type this). So it might be worth grabbing this if you have some interest in the 4e book, but not enough interest to pay full price for it.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Forgotten Realms