[Any D&D] Ashtagon's Commoner Campaign link ate my evening

Rules-focused discussion of pen & paper RPGs. Threads in this board must be tagged by rules set.

Moderator: Blacky the Blackball

Post Reply
User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23716
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

[Any D&D] Ashtagon's Commoner Campaign link ate my evening

Post by Big Mac » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:17 am

Rather than hijack Ashtagon's "My bookmarking of awesome threads thread" thread, I thought I would pull this out of the 3e subforum and write about it here.

Here are the appropriate posts:
Ashtagon wrote:http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/ ... um=10&pg=1

Proving that commoners can have fun.
Big Mac wrote:
Ashtagon wrote:http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/ ... um=10&pg=1

Proving that commoners can have fun.
You owe me an evening, Ash! :lol:

...and I'm only on page 47 of that thread!

EDIT: Make that two evenings and one morning! I'm finally on page 189 and episode 121! Joe Wood certainly is addictive! Jan and her GM certainly seem to have made an interesting idea out of WotC's "this is not suitable for PC's discouragement". This thread will probably make me go back and visit WotC a bit more.
BotWizo wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Ashtagon wrote:http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/ ... um=10&pg=1

Proving that commoners can have fun.
You owe me an evening, Ash! :lol:

...and I'm only on page 47 of that thread!

EDIT: Make that two evenings and one morning! I'm finally on page 189 and episode 121! Joe Wood certainly is addictive! Jan and her GM certainly seem to have made an interesting idea out of WotC's "this is not suitable for PC's discouragement". This thread will probably make me go back and visit WotC a bit more.

I noticed this topic last night, then spent the rest of the night after the kids went to bed reading about Joe wood.
it is very addictive read
Beware: Joe Wood is likey to eat up your evening!
Last edited by Big Mac on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

rabindranath72
White Dragon
Posts: 2616
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:10 pm
Gender: male

Re: Ashtagon's Commoner Campaign link ate my evening

Post by rabindranath72 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:09 am

Very nice!
Actually, commoner campaigns can be a lot of fun. I ran a short campaign a few years ago, in the Four Lands setting described in an old Dragon Magazine, based on the Sword of Shannara novel. Two of the players played the Ohmsford brothers, and we all had a blast. Gaining PC classes levels feels really an achievement when you start as a commoner.

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23716
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Ashtagon's Commoner Campaign link ate my evening

Post by Big Mac » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:39 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:Gaining PC classes levels feels really an achievement when you start as a commoner.
This GM and his player are actually trying to do the entire thing without "resorting" to switching to PC levels. I'd be interested to see how far they can take the PC.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
BotWizo
Wizard
Posts: 1199
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:36 am
Gender: male
Location: Barbarian Lands - Brun (Iowa - USA)

Re: Ashtagon's Commoner Campaign link ate my evening

Post by BotWizo » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:18 pm

Big Mac this thread is a good Idea, I wish there was a way to move my post out of Ash's thread to minimize the threadjack.

Thanks for making this thread.

So I went to Dulsi's other link DMing my GF last night, and wow that is an awesome thread as well. I spent several hours reading about the girl trying to get her Druid a penguin companion.
The campaign is neat, but the tips he gives out are really worth the time and read. Reminds me of things I had forgotten, and given me some ideas to use.

I will post the body of my post in Ash's thread below and remove all text from my post to try and keep ash's bookmark thread clean.

moved text:
BotWizo wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
Ashtagon wrote:http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/ ... um=10&pg=1

Proving that commoners can have fun.
You owe me an evening, Ash! :lol:

...and I'm only on page 47 of that thread!

EDIT: Make that two evenings and one morning! I'm finally on page 189 and episode 121! Joe Wood certainly is addictive! Jan and her GM certainly seem to have made an interesting idea out of WotC's "this is not suitable for PC's discouragement". This thread will probably make me go back and visit WotC a bit more.

I noticed this topic last night, then spent the rest of the night after the kids went to bed reading about Joe wood.
it is very addictive read
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23716
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Ashtagon's Commoner Campaign link ate my evening

Post by Big Mac » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:22 pm

BotWizo wrote:Big Mac this thread is a good Idea, I wish there was a way to move my post out of Ash's thread to minimize the threadjack.

Thanks for making this thread.

So I went to Dulsi's other link DMing my GF last night, and wow that is an awesome thread as well. I spent several hours reading about the girl trying to get her Druid a penguin companion.
The campaign is neat, but the tips he gives out are really worth the time and read. Reminds me of things I had forgotten, and given me some ideas to use.

I will post the body of my post in Ash's thread below and remove all text from my post to try and keep ash's bookmark thread clean.
Don't worry about it. I only copied both of our posts, so that we could say more without filling up Ash's thread.

Ash is a moderator (the uber-moderator) so could move out our posts if they were in the way.

Which thread is the one that dulsi made? I might as well loose another evening and get it out of the way! :lol: ;)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
BotWizo
Wizard
Posts: 1199
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:36 am
Gender: male
Location: Barbarian Lands - Brun (Iowa - USA)

Re: Ashtagon's Commoner Campaign link ate my evening

Post by BotWizo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:43 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Which thread is the one that dulsi made? I might as well loose another evening and get it out of the way! :lol: ;)

Sorry, I meant Dulsi's post in that thread, It is right above my post in Ash's thread. He has a link to DMing my GF. The link sends you to the Wizo's page, and the DM starts out in a campaign with his girlfriend, then also starts another campaign that is night of the living dead or Resident Evil style. Zombie plauge, the group is trapped in a town, one bite on a hit, and your infected next morning. He also has many good tips and advice for DMing in his thread.

I have not read all of his stuff and I now have lost 3 nights to the DM my GF reading.

and the link...

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/ ... with_my_GF
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

User avatar
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster
Posts: 23716
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 pm
Gender: male
Location: London UK
Contact:

Re: Ashtagon's Commoner Campaign link ate my evening

Post by Big Mac » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:51 pm

Thanks for the link! :D
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

User avatar
BotWizo
Wizard
Posts: 1199
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:36 am
Gender: male
Location: Barbarian Lands - Brun (Iowa - USA)

Re: Ashtagon's Commoner Campaign link ate my evening

Post by BotWizo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:09 pm

In respnse to Ashtagons alignment thread in this link... viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2544

his alignment thread post.

Image
Game over man... Game over! -- Pvt. Hudson

Post Reply

Return to “The Crunchy Bits”