Where do you find the best story-based adventures?

System-neutral discussion of campaign setting and game world design. Discussion of existing rules systems belongs in The Crunchy Bits and its sub-forums.
Dragonhelm
Aurak

Where do you find the best story-based adventures?

Post by Dragonhelm » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:02 am

I'm a very story-based DM. When I'm not running my own original adventures, I sometimes like to use a good module.

Thing is, I'm finding it harder to find good story-based modules. WotC's adventures seem more tactical in nature these days, at least from what I've seen. I've seen some good stuff come out of Paizo.

So, putting aside editions and all of that, where do you look to find good story-driven adventures?
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

Moderator for: Dragonlance. My moderator voice is Dark Red.

Chimpman
Hadozee

Re: Where do you find the best story-based adventures?

Post by Chimpman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:03 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:I'm a very story-based DM. When I'm not running my own original adventures, I sometimes like to use a good module.

Thing is, I'm finding it harder to find good story-based modules. WotC's adventures seem more tactical in nature these days, at least from what I've seen. I've seen some good stuff come out of Paizo.

So, putting aside editions and all of that, where do you look to find good story-driven adventures?
Although I recently had to unsubscribe, I've found that Paizo's Adventure Paths, as well as their stand alone modules have some very good stories incorporated into them. I can't say anything after AP 4, since I unsubscribed half way through.
Visit the Exiles Campaign Setting (a Mystara / Spelljammer crossover)
Visit Mystara 2300 BC

Moderator of The Tabard Inn and Blackmoor. My moderator voice is purple.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:40 pm

I like what I've seen of Goodman Games stuff. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of there stuff except for DragonMech so I don't have any specific suggestions. I posted your question on their Dungeon Crawl Classics forum.
Dennis Payne -- Identical Games
Support Roon's Raccoon Sprintladder on Lego Ideas.
ImageImage

Gawain_VIII
Storm Giant

Post by Gawain_VIII » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:I'm a very story-based DM. When I'm not running my own original adventures, I sometimes like to use a good module.

Try this on for size.

Roger
"Time does not heal all things--only swift and decisive action does." --Roger LaVern Girtman, II, 17 April 2010
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Classic Campaigns, my Mystara fansite
Moderator of The Piazza's Mystara and M3e Project forums.

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:02 pm

JediOre on the Goodman Games forum asked if you could give some examples of what you mean by story based adventures.
ImageImage

Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Post by Silverblade-T-E » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:48 am

Books...they have much better plots etc to pinch ideas from than almost ANY module ever written ;)
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D

Seer of Yhog
Outer Being

Post by Seer of Yhog » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:03 pm

I agree with the comment about WotC modules being tactical in nature. I find the later TSR modules were pretty good, as far as storylines go (e.g., Blood Brothers trilogy). However (and not to toot our horns too much here), the modules we wrote for the Mystaran Almanac were all pretty story-focused.
Moderator for Mystara. My moderator voice is heliotrope.

My Blog is here!

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:13 pm

dulsi wrote:JediOre on the Goodman Games forum asked if you could give some examples of what you mean by story based adventures.
Well, something that when played out, comes across like a short story in a book. Something with fantastic locales, NPCs. Dragonlance's Age of Mortals trilogy is a good example.

What I'm not looking for is tactical adventures.

Hope that makes sense. I may pop over to the Goodman boards to see the discussion there.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

dulsi
Storm Giant

Post by dulsi » Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Dragonhelm wrote:Hope that makes sense. I may pop over to the Goodman boards to see the discussion there.
Feel free. So far there has only been one response but the boards are not very active so it may be a while before some people check them. (I was originally going to suggest you ask there but figured it would be easier to ask myself since you probably didn't have an account.)
ImageImage

Dragonhelm
Aurak

Post by Dragonhelm » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:29 pm

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Just so I know how to navigate over there, the thread is here.
Trampas Whiteman
---DragonHelm--->

agathokles
Red Dragon

Post by agathokles » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:42 pm

Seer of Yhog wrote:I agree with the comment about WotC modules being tactical in nature. I find the later TSR modules were pretty good, as far as storylines go (e.g., Blood Brothers trilogy). However (and not to toot our horns too much here), the modules we wrote for the Mystaran Almanac were all pretty story-focused.
I agree with Geoff here: TSR modules of the 90ies are often among the best. Personally, I recommend Harbinger House (Planescape) and The Shadow Rift (Ravenloft), though the Blood Brothers trilogy mentioned above is likely among the most story-oriented modules for Mystara.

GP

Return to “The Squishy Bits”