Wayfarers RPG

Industry news, rumoured and announced new products, and discussion of games company policies.
shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Wayfarers RPG

Post by shesheyan » Sun May 20, 2012 3:38 pm

FYI

New game with old school feel :
http://yeoldegamingcompanye.com/wayfarersmain.htm

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Re: Wayfarers RPG

Post by Havard » Sun May 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Wayfarers RPG is a 2nd Ed Clone?

Love the map of Twylos btw!

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

shesheyan
Cardboard Hero

Post by shesheyan » Mon May 21, 2012 2:08 am

Havard wrote:Wayfarers RPG is a 2nd Ed Clone?

-Havard
My bad.
I'm told its inspired by 3E with a retro feel to it. All the rules have been streamlined and simplified. Less is more approach.
It should be moved to the 3E section... I guess. But when I look at their char sheet it doesn't look like AD&D at all.

Dragon Turtle
Initiate

Post by Dragon Turtle » Mon May 21, 2012 9:22 pm

Moved at the request of the OP.

-DT
This is Havard's Alternate Account
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group so that you can stay in touch.
This account is only used for forum administration. For general contact, please use my personal user account.
Junior admin at The Piazza. My moderator voice is
GREEN.

jimmyswill
Kobold

Post by jimmyswill » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:26 pm

shesheyan wrote:

-Havard
My bad.
I'm told its inspired by 3E with a retro feel to it. All the rules have been streamlined and simplified. Less is more approach.
It should be moved to the 3E section... I guess. But when I look at their char sheet it doesn't look like AD&D at all.
Definitely not 3E-inspired.

I'm the author, and I really dislike 3E. :)

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:58 pm

jimmyswill wrote:Definitely not 3E-inspired.

Hello jimmyswill! Welcome to The Piazza!

I guess there was a lot of confusion about this, partially because Mongoose also had thought about using the same name for their latest version of RuneQuest before they changed it to Legend. From what I understand from the Wikipedia page, this game is still OGL based?

Perhaps you could tell us something about the design goals for this game? I.e. was it designed specifically to give an old school feel, or to make it as streamlined as possible

The idea of a classless, Proficiency oriented D&D variant sounds intriguing and almost reminds me of the video game Skyrim in that respect.

Were you involved in the design of the game setting as well as in the system itself? :)

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
THRESHOLD Magazine - The Mystara Fanzine
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:38 am

jimmyswill wrote:
shesheyan wrote:
My bad.
Definitely not 3E-inspired.

Hi Jimmy.

Welcome to The Piazza.

I actually like 3rd Edition. Is it going to be possible for people to use The World of Tywlos Campaign Setting with rules other than the Wayfarers rules? :)
Havard wrote:I guess there was a lot of confusion about this, partially because Mongoose also had thought about using the same name for their latest version of RuneQuest before they changed it to Legend.
Wayfarer is also the name of a fan magazine for Pathfinder, so you will probably get a bit of brand confusion there too.
Havard wrote:From what I understand from the Wikipedia page, this game is still OGL based?
It says the game is "mostly Open Game Content" on the YOGA website (although it does also say that you can't use more than 100 consecutive words without a licence - something that I'm not sure the OGL allows a publisher to say about OGC - maybe that just means 100 consecutive words in sections including PI).

How about the original Wayfarers game? Was that OGL based? Did that have the World of Twylos campaign setting embedded into it?
Havard wrote:Were you involved in the design of the game setting as well as in the system itself? :)
I'd like to know that too.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

jimmyswill
Kobold

Post by jimmyswill » Mon May 06, 2013 8:00 pm

Hey all, sorry for the very long delay.
From what I understand from the Wikipedia page, this game is still OGL based?
The game doesn't use the WoTC license, but we have our own version of an OGL, which is basically: "Feel free to make Wayfarers-based products or Wayfarers compatible products". We encourage anyone to do so.
Perhaps you could tell us something about the design goals for this game? I.e. was it designed specifically to give an old school feel, or to make it as streamlined as possible
These were both design goals. With the revised version, a big effort was to make the game more streamlined. The primary goal was to create a game that felt simple, and flexible. I've been gaming since the early 80's, and it was important that Wayfarers feel just right. Wayfarers feels quite old school and familiar in play, but the options for players are surprisingly refreshing. IMHO there's just enough flexibility without bloat and redundancy.
Were you involved in the design of the game setting as well as in the system itself?
Only that I played several campaigns in what would become Twylos. Twylos is the work of Greg Vrill, who is an unmatched story-teller and GM. He's been at it since the early 80's too.
I actually like 3rd Edition. Is it going to be possible for people to use The World of Tywlos Campaign Setting with rules other than the Wayfarers rules?
If you like. However, compatibility isn't a design goal. Even so, most of Twylos is non-system specific. It can easily be mined for ideas, and it should be.
Wayfarer is also the name of a fan magazine for Pathfinder, so you will probably get a bit of brand confusion there too.
Sure. We first released in 2008, but don't worry too much about stuff like that.
How about the original Wayfarers game? Was that OGL based? Did that have the World of Twylos campaign setting embedded into it?
We used the WoTC license with the original, but realized that it would be very easy to release the revised version without it, and so we did. Yes, Twylos was part of the first book. I hope to release a 1-book version of the revised game in the future.

Thanks. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you might have.

-Jimmy

Return to “The Wishing Well”