OK - I will start running a Spelljammer game

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: night_druid, Big Mac

OK - I will start running a Spelljammer game

Postby Big Mac » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:38 pm

I've not been able to find a Spelljammer game to join and Matt Colville's Running the Game YouTube videos have convinced me that I should stop faffing about and DM my own Spelljammer game.

So, I'm starting a topic so that I can organise what I need to organise.

I want to run a 3rd Edition D&D game, but apparantly I don't have to wait for the Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project to be completed - I just need to create a town (although it will need to be a town in space.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: OK - I will start running a Spelljammer game

Postby night_druid » Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:09 pm

:)

You can always take any port town and lift it into space. Depends on what resources you have and which one you want to use. Just simply take the map, and put it on an asteroid. If you have a town on an island, that works doubly well, since its easy to replace "water" with "the void".
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Postby Havard » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:37 pm

Congratulations!
Is this going to be a face to face game, or online?

-Havard

The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.
Havard
Dragon Turtle

Postby Big Mac » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:58 pm

night_druid wrote::)

You can always take any port town and lift it into space. Depends on what resources you have and which one you want to use. Just simply take the map, and put it on an asteroid. If you have a town on an island, that works doubly well, since its easy to replace "water" with "the void".

Matt Collville says to start in a town, so that's what I'm going to do.

I'm not sure what town I'm going to go with yet. But I am going to do "Spelljammer: The Known Spheres" so I'm probably looking at one of the Tears of Selûne in Realmspace or one of the asteroids in The Grinder in Greyspace.

I suppose the other option is one of the asteroids in The Hand of Goodness (in The Stellar Islands in Krynnspace).

Ultimately, I want to work up all three spheres, but it's going to come down to which port town has the best plot-hooks for 1st level characters. I think that The Hand of Goodness might be too good, while The Grinder might be too chaotic, so I'll probably go with one of The Tears and reboot some Forgotten Realms content to fit there. (Using The Tears would also allow me to include Sable Aradia's IEN training base, which would be the next best thing to playing a game with her. :) )

I was looking at Gibraltar recently. I'm not sure if I will continue with that as a Tear of Selûne, or save that to be a large-scale city. I think I'll save Gibraltar to be a Rock of Bral clone. :)
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:03 pm

Havard wrote:Congratulations!

"Is this going to be a stand up fight...or just another bug hunt?" ;)

I'm going to go for a face-to-face game. I consider face-to-face games "proper" D&D.

I will probably do something online later on (either Play by Post or...maybe Roll 20 or Fantasy Grounds) but I don't have the time to be learning two new things at the same time.

What I need to do first is work out the sort of Spelljammer campaign I want to run, so that I can explain that to people who might want to come onboard.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Lord Torath » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:54 am

Big Mac wrote:
Havard wrote:Congratulations!

"Is this going to be a stand up fight...or just another bug hunt?" ;)

I'm going to go for a face-to-face game. I consider face-to-face games "proper" D&D.

I will probably do something online later on (either Play by Post or...maybe Roll 20 or Fantasy Grounds) but I don't have the time to be learning two new things at the same time.
;( "Across the pond" is a lot farther away than it sounds. (That, and when it comes to 3.x, all I know I learned from Order of the Stick).
Lord Torath
Ogre

Postby Big Mac » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:40 am

Big Mac wrote:I will probably do something online later on (either Play by Post or...maybe Roll 20 or Fantasy Grounds) but I don't have the time to be learning two new things at the same time.

I've kind of zagged, instead of zigged.

Auld Dragon mentioned that he was planning to start a live-streamed Spelljammer game on Twitch TV.

A couple of years ago, I'd have said that I didn't have time for this, because of the timezone differences, and I probably wouldn't have wanted to do something live-streamed, as I wouldn't have wanted to let down the stream. But I've been watching Maze Arcana do their (face-to-face) live-streamed Eberron game, since October 2016 and they have been pretty inspirational.

Where some of the other live-streamed D&D games I have seen, have gone down the route of trying to be overly-professional and do things that look like they cost a ton of money (like the airship built for Acquisitions Inc by a professional artist) Maze Arcana have gone the other way and have tried to hide all the expensive cameras and have a setup that mostly looks like a gaming table that I might be playing on. Aside from the epic opening credits they have (with an awsome theme tune, art that shows the players turning into cartoon versions of their PCs and some new 3D graphics showing several places on Eberron that look pretty amazing) they have played down the fact that it is a professional show and it very much feels like I'm sitting on the other side of their room watching Ruty convert a D&D campaign setting (in this case Eberron) from one set of rules to another (in this case 3e and 4e to 5e).

Anyhoo, because I'd been watching this and seeing how fun it was to see the players doing their stuff, and being normal gamers, I thought, I'll give Auld Dragon's game a go. Hopefully I can help make his game fun (and not stuff it up :shock: ).

That's been really great and, because Auld Dragon has been using Roll 20 for the game environment and Discord chat for the conversation, I'm confident that I could learn to run a game that way.

I'm not sure I would live-stream a game on Twitch TV myself. I'm still not sure how to use the GMs tools and I'm playing 2nd Edition in Auld Dragon's game (so I'm not generating 3rd Edition content doing this) but I feel like I'm joining up some of the dots and learning stuff that is going to make the online option a realistic option for me.

Nevertheless, I think I'll still try to find a way to run a face-to-face Spelljammer game. And I still want to go with 3rd Edition. But I think that Roll 20 is a real option (when I can get around to watching the tutorial I always ignore). It might end up to be an easier option than trying to find people in London that like Spelljammer.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Silverblade-T-E » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:05 am

note that STEAM now sells the Fantasy Grounds table top on your PC app! :)

so youc an always run an online game
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D
Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Postby GMWestermeyer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:26 pm

Big Mac wrote:

That's what I did for Jammers, starting the players in Bral. It was originally supposed to be a town-based game, with all the advnetures happening on Bral, focusing on gang wars. But it has grown into a hybrid pirate/gang war style campaign that spends as much time off the Rock as on it.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice. :) Or just ask here. :)
GMWestermeyer
Hill Giant

Postby Big Mac » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:34 pm

Silverblade-T-E wrote:note that STEAM now sells the Fantasy Grounds table top on your PC app! :)

Thanks Silverblade.

I've not used Fantasy Grounds, so that would be another thing I would need to learn. (And I don't actually have Steam, as I'm not really into computer games. I watch other people more than I play them myself. So it looks like I might need to buy Steam to get Fantasy grounds. That's not "easlier" for me. :? )
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:27 am

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

That's what I did for Jammers, starting the players in Bral. It was originally supposed to be a town-based game, with all the advnetures happening on Bral, focusing on gang wars. But it has grown into a hybrid pirate/gang war style campaign that spends as much time off the Rock as on it.

Thanks for the offer for advice, Paul.

I doubt you would want to play in any game I run (as it would be 3rd Edition) but I'm aiming to try to make a game that feels like it's the same universe as the one in the 2nd Edition products. (And I'm also hoping that any new background stuff I make can be raided by 2e players.) So if you are willing to look at anything I write, ignore the stats, and let me know what you think of the theme of the thing, that would be really helpful.

Auld Dragon has also started his game on Bral, so I think that's a good starting point. I'm probably going to avoid doing that, as I want Bral to be in Bralspace, but I also want to start in Greyspace, Krynnspace or Realmspace. So I will probably try to "clone" Bral somehow (or maybe even build something smaller).

I'm hoping to go for the sort of feel that Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Dragonlance Campaign Setting and Living Greyhawk Gazetteer have, so I'll probably want to create the illusion that every world in those three spheres has a lot more going on than SJR2, SJR6 and SJR7 tell us. But I also don't want to "invalidate" any canon (if I can help it) so I want to try to "write between the lines".

I'm not as good at research as you are, so I'll probably copy the stuff in your timeline that relates to one of the spheres (or one of them at a time, if I do two or three of them) and then look to FRCS, DLCS and LGG for inspiration on the sort fanon of things that could be invented to add to the canon. (I figure that, if I can stick to the sort of magnitude as canon events, any fanon I make will not overshadow the canon in the books.)

I suppose I'll do some things differently, just from not having had the time to learn everything yet. That's probably going to bug me (so if you notice that I've missed something, I'd appreciate being told) but I also don't think I can "wait to make it all right" or I'll never start. :roll:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby GMWestermeyer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:36 pm

Big Mac wrote:
GMWestermeyer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

I doubt you would want to play in any game I run (as it would be 3rd Edition) but I'm aiming to try to make a game that feels like it's the same universe as the one in the 2nd Edition products. (And I'm also hoping that any new background stuff I make can be raided by 2e players.) So if you are willing to look at anything I write, ignore the stats, and let me know what you think of the theme of the thing, that would be really helpful.

Auld Dragon has also started his game on Bral, so I think that's a good starting point. I'm probably going to avoid doing that, as I want Bral to be in Bralspace, but I also want to start in Greyspace, Krynnspace or Realmspace. So I will probably try to "clone" Bral somehow (or maybe even build something smaller).

I'm hoping to go for the sort of feel that Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, Dragonlance Campaign Setting and Living Greyhawk Gazetteer have, so I'll probably want to create the illusion that every world in those three spheres has a lot more going on than SJR2, SJR6 and SJR7 tell us. But I also don't want to "invalidate" any canon (if I can help it) so I want to try to "write between the lines".

I'm not as good at research as you are, so I'll probably copy the stuff in your timeline that relates to one of the spheres (or one of them at a time, if I do two or three of them) and then look to FRCS, DLCS and LGG for inspiration on the sort fanon of things that could be invented to add to the canon. (I figure that, if I can stick to the sort of magnitude as canon events, any fanon I make will not overshadow the canon in the books.)

I suppose I'll do some things differently, just from not having had the time to learn everything yet. That's probably going to bug me (so if you notice that I've missed something, I'd appreciate being told) but I also don't think I can "wait to make it all right" or I'll never start. :roll:

Sounds great to me. I'd probably start in Greyspace, were I you. I think Krynspace is kinda idiosyncratic as an SJ sphere, and as the cloakmaster's homeworld is almost cliché. :) FR is over used generally, and Realmspace is a desert of a sphere with lots of insta-death planets. :) But the Grinder is pretty much a quintessential Spelljammer setting. :)

You might try porting over the City League from Pellinore, or City State of the Invincible Overlord as your starting point. Either could easily be set on a large asteroid in the Grinder. :)

edit: I'll be happy to look stuff over. I am in the middle of the revision of my timeline, Greyhawk, Mystara, Mythic Earth, Ravenloft, and Planescape contribute the majority of the new entries (and some SJ entries I missed first time around). If you want a gander at the in progress work let me know. I can't predict when I am finished, I always hope 'soon' but paying writing and research comes first.
GMWestermeyer
Hill Giant

Postby Silverblade-T-E » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:54 pm

Big Mac wrote:
Silverblade-T-E wrote:note that STEAM now sells the Fantasy Grounds table top on your PC app! :)

Thanks Silverblade.

I've not used Fantasy Grounds, so that would be another thing I would need to learn. (And I don't actually have Steam, as I'm not really into computer games. I watch other people more than I play them myself. So it looks like I might need to buy Steam to get Fantasy grounds. That's not "easlier" for me. :? )

ah, sorry! :/

still would let you play with folk all over world :)

(not able ot play myself any more though)
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D
Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Postby Big Mac » Tue May 02, 2017 8:15 am

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:
GMWestermeyer wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Sounds great to me.

Thanks.

I guess that, if I go with a "beta campaign" I can always have a bit of a reboot, if I discover some canon things that are so cool that I need to move incompatible fanon out of the way to make space for them. So it's not such a bad thing for me to make a fanon game that is fairly close to canon. :)

GMWestermeyer wrote:I'd probably start in Greyspace, were I you.

I think I will. I can then look at Living Greyhawk Gazeteer and anything in the core rulebooks (like the neogi stuff in Lords of Madness) and try to locate that on Greyhawk or the other worlds of Greyspace.

I've had a couple of people tell me that certain core stuff is more appropriate to the Realms (I believe they put the Red Wizards of Thay into a core rulebook) so I really need to pick a 3e book, scan through it and identify anything that should be excluded or included.

GMWestermeyer wrote:I think Krynspace is kinda idiosyncratic as an SJ sphere, and as the cloakmaster's homeworld is almost cliché. :)

There are cliches all over the place in D&D. One good thing about Greyspace, is that the SJ fiction mostly avoided it, so there is less stuff to check. :cool:

One thing I do like about Dragonlance (and therefore Krynnspace) is that there are a relatively small number of deities with a balance between the good and evil deities. I'm figuring that I want to make a semi-reboot of the Dragonlance campaign setting that fits each of the worlds. (On Reorx, for example, the dwarves and gnomes would be the dominant race and the humans would be a minor race.)

The SJR books did tend to make many of the worlds into "one trick pony" environments, so I want to find a way to introduce more variety, without totally changing everything. I've actually got some ideas about doing that for Reorx. I'll have to see what I can come up with for Greyspace.

GMWestermeyer wrote:FR is over used generally, and Realmspace is a desert of a sphere with lots of insta-death planets. :)

TPK planets are a bit of an issue for me. I need to find a way to tone that down a bit. Maybe the "Points of Light" concept that 4e had could help me. (I don't really know much about 4e, so I'll just go with the concept and try to make TPK worlds have a series of small "safe zones" that make it possible for PCs to do something on almost every world.)

I suppose I could start one or more topics about the TPK worlds and how to hide safe things on them.

GMWestermeyer wrote:But the Grinder is pretty much a quintessential Spelljammer setting. :)

You might try porting over the City League from Pellinore, or City State of the Invincible Overlord as your starting point. Either could easily be set on a large asteroid in the Grinder. :)

I think that The Grinder is probably the best place in the Known Spheres to do things on a small scale. The PCs don't even need a spelljamming helm to get from rock to rock.

I don't know enough about the City League from Pellinore and the City State of the Invincible Overlord, but I guess I could research the general themes and write from that. It would give me something different, but that could be a good thing.

GMWestermeyer wrote:edit: I'll be happy to look stuff over. I am in the middle of the revision of my timeline, Greyhawk, Mystara, Mythic Earth, Ravenloft, and Planescape contribute the majority of the new entries (and some SJ entries I missed first time around). If you want a gander at the in progress work let me know. I can't predict when I am finished, I always hope 'soon' but paying writing and research comes first.

That would be awesome.

I'm nowhere near ready yet, but it would be great if you could look at my stuff. (And as someone I know is sceptical about 3e, you could point out anything that could be problematic to anyone trying to convert my stuff to 2e. I want my stuff to work for me primarily, but if I get stuff finished enough to go back and try to make it publishable, I could add a sidebar or two that says how to use any problematic stuff with 2nd Edition...if sidebars would help.)

Ideally, I would like to be able to create stuff that is as useful to 2e fans as the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer is.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Big Mac » Tue May 02, 2017 8:18 am

Silverblade-T-E wrote:
Big Mac wrote:

Thanks Silverblade.

ah, sorry! :/

still would let you play with folk all over world :)

I'll have to look into it at some point. Thanks for the suggestion.

Silverblade-T-E wrote:(not able ot play myself any more though)

I'm sad about that. Do you think you would be up to watching AuldDragon's live-streamed Spelljammer game on Twitch? We play every Saturday at 5-9pm UK time (with a bit of a shunt around the DST differences). It would be great if you could watch us nearly killing ourselves on a weekly basis. :lol:
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Spelljammer