[Novel] Tantamount

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: night_druid, Big Mac

[Novel] Tantamount

Postby Big Mac » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:14 pm

One of my friends recommended I check out a novel called Tantamount by Thomas J. Radford, which is supposedly very Spelljammeresk. Here is the blurb from Amazon:
Tantamount on Amazon wrote:Tantamount Paperback – February 26, 2014
by Thomas J. Radford (Author)

Trained to fight, lead, and sail the ocean that is space, Nel Vaughn has the makings of a hero. She should have been the best, but Nel forsake a career with the Alliance and now sails the Free Lanes on the Tantamount with its misfit crew, Kitsune cabin girl, and absent-minded captain. During a stopover for repairs, Nel and the Tantamount are coerced into ferrying medical cargo to a planet at war. Complicating the job are the Tantamount's unwanted passengers-a Guildswoman; her golem; and a charming, mysterious stranger-each with their own agenda. When Nel discovers the sinister truth behind their mercy mission, her simple goal of keeping her ship intact and her crew safe seems impossible . . . unless Nel chooses to be the hero she was meant to be.

Has anyone read this? If so, what do you think of it?

Could any of the locations from the novel be raided and used in a SJ game? Would any of the characters work well as NPCs?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: [Novel] Tantamount

Postby Silverblade-T-E » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:12 am

Interesting! :)

sounds awfully like TALES OF THE KETTY JAY, which is a steampunk/magic 4 part series which I HIGHLY recommend
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D
Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Postby Bonetti » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:03 am

...that would have been me recommending it. A fellow writer suggested it to me based on a work-in-progress, and I enjoyed it.

My "review in a nutshell" is "Spelljammer meets Firefly". Takes place on a sailing ship in space, motley/misfit crew, multiple races (based on myths, e.g. korrigan, kelpie, kitsune, drauga). Some inherent magic, but air envelopes and ability to go through space are powered by some sort of ether, trapped in the keel of the ship (provides gravity, too). Pretty fun, wish there had been a sequel.
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Postby Silverblade-T-E » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:51 pm

Wish james M Ward had made more of the MIDSHIPWIZARD HALCYON BITHE series, not set in space, but fantastical Age of Sail stories :)
-----------------------------------------------
I'd rather be a Fool who Believes in Dragons,
Than a King who believes in Nothing

http://www.silverblades-suitcase.com

Spelljammer is back, oh yeah, BABY! :D
Silverblade-T-E
Storm Giant

Postby Big Mac » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:28 pm

Bonetti wrote:...that would have been me recommending it.

Yes it was, although it took me a while to check i out. Thanks for the recommendation, Bonetti. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Bonetti » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Silverblade-T-E wrote:Wish james M Ward had made more of the MIDSHIPWIZARD HALCYON BITHE series, not set in space, but fantastical Age of Sail stories :)

Cool! I hadn't heard of that series at all. Time to go look it up!

I'll also mention Arabella of Mars. It's not magical, but does posit air in the space between worlds, allowing sailing ships to explore the planets (with Captain Kidd being the first sailor to reach Mars). The original short story (about Captain Kidd) was in the anthology Old Mars, and the ship designs do reflect three dimensions (additional masts below the waterline, stepped once in the air).
Darokin expansion (maps, notes, merchant houses)
NaNoWriMo: Winner 2013-2016; Camp NaNoWriMo: 2014-2017
Bonetti
Fire Giant

Return to Spelljammer