D&D 5E Spelljammer Makes the Most of Monsters

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: night_druid, Big Mac

D&D 5E Spelljammer Makes the Most of Monsters

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Doug Vehovec of Nerdarchy.com has an article up called: D&D 5E Spelljammer Makes the Most of Monsters.

Excited by Mike Mearls Tweet about bringing back all the campaign settings...including Spelljammer, Doug has written about how he thinks that Spelljammer can get the most out of 5th Edition monsters. (And a lot of what he writes applies to other editions of D&D too.)

Do you use monsters to drive your Spelljammer game plots?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: D&D 5E Spelljammer Makes the Most of Monsters

Postby Jaid » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:38 pm

i wouldn't hold your breath on spelljammer coming out any time soon. 5e has been around for about 3 years now (a few days off if you count the starter set, about a month off if you count from the release of the PHB) and we've got two settings... sort of. by which i mean, we have the sword coast detailed, and arguably a few other very small parts of the forgotten realms vaguely described in adventure modules, plus parts of one domain in ravenloft (i don't know how many ravenloft domains there are, but i do know that there are more than one).

we don't have eberron, dragonlance, greyhawk, or dark sun (all of which i'd say are more popular than spelljammer), WotC is publishing basically 1-2 non-adventure books per year, and we know the next book is also forgotten realms (nominally, at least... i very much doubt it will have much information about the realms, and rather suspect it will be more of a character resource book, given it's supposed to have 25 subclasses in it among other things).

frankly, at the rate they're going, i'll die of old age before they get to spelljammer. unless my brain gets uploaded to a computer or something.

as to using monsters to drive your adventures... i think in a lot of ways that's true for every setting. spelljammer certainly does a good job of spreading out the geography, but when you sit down and think about just how big the world that we live in is, and how many different creatures live in it... well, i have a hard time believing that there's a lack of space to put things into a single world. and even then, in a standard game it's pretty easy to involve other planes... just because there isn't necessarily room for azer to have a huge nation doesn't mean that there can't be a wizard somewhere with dozens of azer minions building iron golem parts.
Jaid
Fire Giant

Postby Big Mac » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:48 pm

Jaid wrote:as to using monsters to drive your adventures... i think in a lot of ways that's true for every setting. spelljammer certainly does a good job of spreading out the geography, but when you sit down and think about just how big the world that we live in is, and how many different creatures live in it... well, i have a hard time believing that there's a lack of space to put things into a single world. and even then, in a standard game it's pretty easy to involve other planes... just because there isn't necessarily room for azer to have a huge nation doesn't mean that there can't be a wizard somewhere with dozens of azer minions building iron golem parts.

I suppose there could be azer living in and around a volcano.

I did like the logic of spacefarers on ships with the atmosphere going from foul to deadly calling for the gods to turn them into undead. I could see that happen more than a seafaring ship, as the crew could otherwise be very healthy.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby Jaid » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 am

Big Mac wrote:
Jaid wrote:as to using monsters to drive your adventures... i think in a lot of ways that's true for every setting. spelljammer certainly does a good job of spreading out the geography, but when you sit down and think about just how big the world that we live in is, and how many different creatures live in it... well, i have a hard time believing that there's a lack of space to put things into a single world. and even then, in a standard game it's pretty easy to involve other planes... just because there isn't necessarily room for azer to have a huge nation doesn't mean that there can't be a wizard somewhere with dozens of azer minions building iron golem parts.

I suppose there could be azer living in and around a volcano.

I did like the logic of spacefarers on ships with the atmosphere going from foul to deadly calling for the gods to turn them into undead. I could see that happen more than a seafaring ship, as the crew could otherwise be very healthy.

i dunno, atmosphere lasts for up to 8 months in normal conditions. i could see the same thing happening to a seafaring crew, just with food or water. or because of disease, or because they were betrayed, etc... there's plenty of reasons it could happen :)
Jaid
Fire Giant

Postby night_druid » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:49 am

Meh. A ship with a wizard or cleric with a 1st level mist-related spell isn't going to have to worry about air issues. Regenerating at atmosphere in SJ is pretty simple unless you're really unlucky (or just ill-prepared, in which case you had no business running a ship to begin with).
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green
night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Return to Spelljammer