Spelljammer for Starfinder?

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: night_druid, Big Mac

Spelljammer for Starfinder?

Postby Mirra0fEchoes » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:11 am

Any ideas or desire for trying to convert the new toolset?

To be fair, the FTL is running on a similar principal. Clearly the phlogiston is faster than the drift, at least while following the flow. Mind you, the phlogiston doesn't run throughout the entirety of the PMP and certainly reaches alternate material planes; at least that is how I reconcile the different physics of different spheres.

The biggest issue I have is how to handle the spelljamming helms.
Mirra0fEchoes
Kobold

Re: Spelljammer for Starfinder?

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:52 am

I think it would be pretty easy to drop the Spelljammer setting into Starfinder toolset. My only gripe with doing this is that the Starfinder rules aren't ideal for the Spelljammer setting, but that is just me. I think the better option is taking the Spelljammer setting and dropping it into Starjammer for Pathfinder, as the basic [high] fantasy tropes are fully supported for space adventuring.

I see no problems converting the helms. Here are my takes on how to use them, just off the cuff.
  • Full caster level class = Sr equal to half caster level (minimum of 1)
  • Bard, Paladin & Ranger = SR equal to the highest spell level castable.

Helms are not divided btetween minor and major, a normal helm functions based on the guidelines I gave above.

For the other non-standard helms, here are my guidelines;
  • Artifurnaces = unchanged
  • Furnaces = unchanged
  • Lifejammer = SR equals half hit dice (minimum of 1)

Modifiers based on tonnage are eliminated. Instead I offer two new feats.

Expert Helmsman
You are expertly adept at the helm of any spelljammming vessel.
Prerequisite: Caster level 1st.
Benefit: The SR of the ship you are piloting is increased by +1, to a maximum of 12.

Master Helmsman
You are truly a master at the helm of spelljamming vessels.
Prerequisite: Able to cast 4th level spells, Expert Helmsman
Benefit: The SR of the ship you are piloting is increased by +1, to a maximum of 12. This bonus stacks with other bonuses to SR, including those from Expert Helmsman.
Social Media Links

Malathéa
DevinatArt / Facebook / Google / The Piazza / Twitter / YouTube
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:14 am

Helm Creation should be relegated to a feat instead of two spells.

Create Temporary Helm
Your touch can imbue spelljamming properties of a helm into one chair or chair-like thing.
Prerequisite: Caster level 1st
Benefit: As a full round and by expending a spell slot you imbue into one chair or chair-like thing the abilities of a spelljamming helm. The maximum tonnage is 3 tons per caster level, but for each spell level above first sacrificed the maximum tonnage is increased by the level of the spell sacrificed. The duration of this effect is a number of days equal to the level of the spell sacrificed to create the temporary helm.
Special: This effect can be dispelled, if it is the chair is destroyed and reduced to a pile of ash.

For example, Robard The Great is a 5th level Cleric and he sacrifices a 3rd level spell slot, so the maximum tonnage the temporary helm can control is 5 tons per caster level, so the maximum tonnage is 25 tons.
Social Media Links

Malathéa
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Angel Tarragon » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:25 am

A constructed helm should be an artifact, one in which only the Arcane/Mercane can create. The is unless you are using rules for Artifact creation in your own spelljammer campaign (see the Sword Sorcery Studios book, Advanced Player's Guide) and want the players to have access to creating artifacts and by proxy, Spelljammer Helms.

A helm can move a ship of up to 100 tons.
Social Media Links

Malathéa
Angel Tarragon
Dawn Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:00 am

Mirra0fEchoes wrote:Any ideas or desire for trying to convert the new toolset?

I'm unlikely to want to convert Spelljammer to Starfinder (or Pathfinder), but if I did, I'd definitely retain all the fundamental principles of the Spelljammer universe.

Mirra0fEchoes wrote:To be fair, the FTL is running on a similar principal. Clearly the phlogiston is faster than the drift, at least while following the flow. Mind you, the phlogiston doesn't run throughout the entirety of the PMP and certainly reaches alternate material planes; at least that is how I reconcile the different physics of different spheres.

If you look at how science fiction stories work, they usually have ships needing to get away from gravity wells, before they can activiate faster-than-light speed drives. That's a plot device designed to create a situation where ships can't just vanish and avoid space combat.

Spelljammer uses the exact same theme, but does it in two ways:
  • Spelljamming Speed and
  • The Phlogiston

That's two different replacements for "jumping to light speed" that Jeff Grubb created (not just one).

The thing with ships dropping to Tactical Speed and needing to get into an open area of Wildspace to accellerate to Spelljamming Speed works anywhere within a crystal sphere, but also covers the atmospheres of planets. Ships that are chased can not easily zip away, but so long as they are not chased, they jump to a million miles per day with nobody needing inertial dampers or anything like that. (What we call "momentum" in the real-world does not work the same in SJ.)

Crystal spheres, and the flow, are a second "plot barrier". Essentially, Jeff Grubb forces ships to remain within a crystal sphere (aka planetary system) for some time, before they get far enough away from the primary to travel faster. It's the exact same logic as FtL travel, but it's an increase over the first speed jump.

For me, that's a pretty fundamental part of what Spelljammer is, and I would not want to change that.

As for the "different physics of different spheres", I'm right with you there, although I try to avoid the word "physics" when discussing how Spelljammer works. SJ exists in an era of philosophy, rather than science (although there is science in Greatspace) and that term feels too "modern" for my liking. So I'll use the term "laws of nature".

I subscribe to the idea of the crystal shells "containing" the local laws of nature. So concepts like Forgotten Realms's Weave and Shadow Weave can not pass through Realmspace and the Moons of Magic orbiting Krynn can not spread their influence beyond the Krynnspace crystal sphere, IMO.

Mirra0fEchoes wrote:The biggest issue I have is how to handle the spelljamming helms.

I would personally keep them exactly the same...or possibly switch to the alternative helm rules from Hackjammer.

But, don't let me stand in your way, if you have different ideas. Go with what works for you. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Return to Spelljammer