Spelljammer Adventure Path

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: night_druid, Big Mac

THawk
Kobold

Spelljammer Adventure Path

Post by THawk » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:49 pm

Has anyone put the published Spelljammer adventures together in a level progression Adventure Path? With all the SJ Dungeon adventures and published modules it seems someone should have a short document stating which adventures and in which order would create a continuous campaign without having to add "filler" adventures, with perhaps information on how to tie them together. I realize some modules might be outside the official Spelljammer products but would fit will, such as RQ2 Thoughts of Darkness (Ravenloft). If anyone has such a document that lists modules in Adventure Path (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Path) order, please add it to this topic.

Morfie
Metamorph

Re: Spelljammer Adventure Path

Post by Morfie » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:06 am

To do this you need a list of everything first, then sort the order out. I had started to compile a list a long time ago of all published adventures by TSR/WotC; I had started but never got around to completing Spelljammer.

For what it's worth, my list contains:
Modules: SJA1-4, SJQ1, SJS1.
Dungeon Magazine: 21, 36, 39, 41, 45, 63.

I hadn't yet gone through any of the Accessories or Campaign Setting material to see what else there was.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:31 am

It frustrates me when I see newbie SJ recreating work that is already up on Beyond the Moons.

Anyway, Static already did an excellent of all SJ products, including magazine articles.

http://www.spelljammer.org/misc/products/

If you want a 'path', well, I think DMs should construct that themselves, organically, but i used this one once for a campaign I called, "Chrysanthemums of Charon", magical flowers the party had to retrieve.
They started with a furnace helm, and were already all levels 7-9. The path started on Toril, in the Forgotten Realms.

Dungeon # 48 "The Oracle at Sumbar"
SJS1 Goblins' Return
Theives' World boxed set
Dungeon #36 'The Sea of Sorrow'
RA2 Ship of Horror

Nate Christen
Troll

Post by Nate Christen » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:59 pm

THawk,

I recommend something like this.

1. Start with some groundling adventures to build up the party a bit; I recommend the U Series--The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater and The Final Enemy--due to their nautical theme.

2. Bring the party into Wildspace with a scenario like Wildspace or "Jammin'" from Dungeon Magazine.

3. Based out of the Rock of Bral, run a bunch of scenarios from Skull & Crossbows and Space Lairs; supplement with other Dungeon adventures.

4. Next, go with Crystal Spheres.

5. Lead into the big finale with either Under the Dark Fist or Goblin's Return and Heart of the Enemy.

This is just a suggestion, of course.

-Nate
Author of d20pirates.blogspot.com and talesfromtheedgeoftheempire.blogspot.com

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:32 am

Hi THawk!

Welcome to The Piazza! You might want to pop into the Introduce yourself here topic, say "hi" and tell people about the sort of stuff you enjoy talking about.
THawk wrote:Has anyone put the published Spelljammer adventures together in a level progression Adventure Path?
I got asked this on Faceborg recently (maybe by you :) ) and said this:
David Big Mac Shepheard on the Book of Faces wrote:I would start off with the PCs on the planet Spiral (in Spiralspace) with a ground-based adventure and then lead into SJA1 Wildspace.

I'd locate Bral in Spiralspace, so that SJA1 could lead into SJA2 Skull & Crossbows.

I'd have most of the action of SJA2 set in Spiralspace and then lead into SJA3 Crystal Spheres.

I think that SJA3 could be expanded a bit. (There is Bruin's missing sister as a loose end.) But I'd eventually have that lead into SJA4 Under the Dark Fist.

SJA4 really needs a lot of expansion. There is an entire Vodoni empire that needs to be sorted out. But eventually I'd lead into SJS1 Goblin's Return and SJQ1 Heart of the Enemy.

SJS1 and SJQ1 are the core of what we have for the Second Unhuman War. Where SJA4 adds 12 spheres that would be transformed by a war, the Second Unhuman War would change the *entire* SJ multiverse.
However, that's a different plan from what you go onto ask in the rest of this Piazza post.
THawk wrote:With all the SJ Dungeon adventures and published modules it seems someone should have a short document stating which adventures and in which order would create a continuous campaign without having to add "filler" adventures, with perhaps information on how to tie them together.
Adding the Dungeon modules would make this a lot harder to navigate and I don't think there would be one obvious Adventure Path.

I suppose you could go in publication order, but that might feel artificial...and it might involve a lot of hopping back and forth between Greyspace and Realmspace.

For example Visitors From Above (the SJ adventure written by a NASA engineer :cool: ) from Dungeon 28 has action based in the Tears of Selûne and in an area of Toril close to Neverwinter. So you would either need to find a way to get your PCs down to Neverwinter and get a groundling NPC to send them on the adventure, or reboot the adventure to make it tie into something else.

There is also the issue that several people have written "how to get groundlings to go into Wildspace" adventures...or adventure hooks. You might need to reboot those a bit if you want PCs to run through several of them. Maybe you could have the PCs discover several spelljamming ships, during a groundling campaign, but not offer the PCs the option of going into Wildspace, until you have used up all the groundling-to-spacefarer adventures. (Ships could have damaged spelljamming helms, spacefarers that meet the PCs could wish them well, but fly off without them, and local authorities that discover spelljamming ships due to the actions of the PCs could seize the ships, but compensate the PCs.) It could get a bit convoluted, and if your players actually want to go into Wildspace, you would need to keep an eye on things, to make sure you were not making them feel frustrated by an attempt to run them through all of those lead in adventures. But if you handle it right, it might be fun to have a recurring SJ theme in a groundling campaign that helps the PCs level up a little bit.

I would recommend that you don't try to force it though. I wrote an article for Wildspace: The Spelljammer Fanzine, called Start Your Spelljammer Game on…The Rock of Bral. I was intending to do some more articles for starting SJ campaigns in other places (like Toril). I would recommend you make a list of the starter adventures, see what planet they are all set on (if they are not generic) and see if you want to use a specific groundling world as a starting point for your SJ game. (Alternatively, if you the idea of starting on Bral, feel free to use this topic of yours to discuss ways to reboot groundling-to-spacefarers adventures into Bral adventures.)

Jeff Grubb intended most people to start SJ games on Krynn, Oerth or Toril, and included Krynnspace, Greyspace and Realmspace write ups in the AD&D Adventures in Space boxed set, that are expanded in SJR2 Realmspace, SJR6 Greyspace and SJR7 Krynnspace. If you like Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk or Dragonlance and own products for them, then it would make sense to raid those products to help you boot-up an SJ campaign. You could even tell your players you are running a FR, GH or DL game and sneak Spelljammer into it later. :twisted:

(And if you dislike Dragonlance, Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms, and want to avoid using it, then it makes it a lot easier for you to decide that you want to raid and reboot any adventures with a DL/SJ, GH/SJ or FR/SJ crossover theme.)
THawk wrote:I realize some modules might be outside the official Spelljammer products but would fit will, such as RQ2 Thoughts of Darkness (Ravenloft). If anyone has such a document that lists modules in Adventure Path (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Path) order, please add it to this topic.
There are plenty of D&D products containing what I refer to as "secondary Spelljammer canon". For example WGR2 Treasures of Greyhawk contains a mini adventure, called Neogi Nest set in and close by to the City of Greyhawk.

There are even some D&D products with fairly trivial bits of "secondary Spelljammer canon", like the (excessively expensive) WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins which contains two things (a room full of treasure brought back from the Spelljammer universe and a teleportation gizmo that sends you to a spelljamming ship sitting on the top of a mountain). I'm waiting for DMs Guild to stick that one onto Print on Demand, as I'm not prepared to pay eBay Bandit rates for a Greyhawk product that only has two minor SJ references.

I'm not sure how RQ2 Thoughts of Darkness would fit into your plan. I'm not aware of a "secondary canon" link to Spelljammer. (I've actually started a separate topic to ask how RQ2 Thoughts of Darkness would work with Spelljammer.) If you are including it as an example of adventures that don't specifically mention Spelljammer, but which would work really well if moved to the SJ universe, then that would widen your net beyond the secondary canon and give you a much bigger list of things to choose from.

I don't even think anyone has made a list of "things that could be rebooted into Spelljammer products" before. Pretty much everyone I've seen who has made a list has had their own idea of where to draw the line.

It might help if you explain what you mean by a "filler adventure" and how strong a link you would want non-Spelljammer products to have to the setting. Because if a ship or an illithid gets things onto your list, that would give you a lot more to play with. (It would also make an Adventure Path that has all the products on would be harder and harder to organise. But it would also give you a lot more things to pick from.)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:04 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:It frustrates me when I see newbie SJ recreating work that is already up on Beyond the Moons.
It's not massively easy for people to get into Spelljammer. And sometimes people need to tread over old ground, just to work out what they need to learn. But it would be good if we could make things easier for newbies, so that they had an easier time. :)
GMWestermeyer wrote:Anyway, Static already did an excellent of all SJ products, including magazine articles.

http://www.spelljammer.org/misc/products/
The Products page on Beyond the Moons is good, but it isn't as good as Echohawk's: Spelljammer Collector's Guide. Not only has Echohawk got more products that Static included on his list, he also explains what is in each product (so SJ fans can work out which products only contain information that is of no use to them).
GMWestermeyer wrote:If you want a 'path', well, I think DMs should construct that themselves, organically, but i used this one once for a campaign I called, "Chrysanthemums of Charon", magical flowers the party had to retrieve.
They started with a furnace helm, and were already all levels 7-9. The path started on Toril, in the Forgotten Realms.

SJS1 Goblins' Return
Theives' World boxed set
RA2 Ship of Horror
The Adventure Path concept was created by Paizo. I believe the idea of it is to be able to have a long-term plotline, so that you can add foreshadowing to earlier adventures and include returning NPCs from the early adventures in later ones.

So what did you do with the Thieve's World boxed set in your SJ campaign? I've got some Thives World stuff from Green Ronin, but I didn't think of it as stuff to Spelljammerise, when I bought it.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:15 pm

Nate Christen wrote:1. Start with some groundling adventures to build up the party a bit; I recommend the U Series--The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater and The Final Enemy--due to their nautical theme.
That's a good idea. you could probably even skip the groundling-to-wildspace scenarios (which are usually land based) and give the player characters a spelljamming helm to mount onto a nautical ship.

A starry compass from the Forgotten Realms novel Corsair could be a way to get the PCs up into Wildspace. The device only works in starlight (so would be pretty dangerous if the PCs tried to land on a planet in daylight - they would drop like a stone) so I would suggest they trade the starry compass for a more conventional helm at some point.

The exact workings of a starry compass are not all explained, but I would be inclined to make it only work within a crystal sphere. (I might build an astrolabe into the device as an excuse to allow it to go to any world within the sphere.)

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:41 pm

Big Mac wrote:
GMWestermeyer wrote:If you want a 'path', well, I think DMs should construct that themselves, organically, but i used this one once for a campaign I called, "Chrysanthemums of Charon", magical flowers the party had to retrieve.

SJS1 Goblins' Return
Theives' World boxed set
RA2 Ship of Horror
The Adventure Path concept was created by Paizo. I believe the idea of it is to be able to have a long-term plotline, so that you can add foreshadowing to earlier adventures and include returning NPCs from the early adventures in later ones.

So what did you do with the Thieve's World boxed set in your SJ campaign? I've got some Thieves World stuff from Green Ronin, but I didn't think of it as stuff to Spelljammerise, when I bought it.
This predated the Green Ronin books by a decade or more. I was using the Chaosium boxed set. Basically, one of the flowers was held by Enas Yorl, the Thieves World sorcerer who is easiest for a DM to work with. The players negotiated with him for it, undertaking some missions for him and then dodging the antagonists who were also trying to recover the Chrysanthemums.

In the end, I decided Spelljammer was just a poor fit with Thieves World - I don't combine them any more.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:38 pm

"Adventure Path" is a concept Paizo cooked up. Its sorta like the alphabet modules (A, B, G, D, etc), except that instead of having 3-4 modules with a linked plotline (ala Slavers or Giants), or a long series of unrelated modules (B & I series), its a large number of linked modules. In theory players begin the path at 1st level and advance all the way to 20th or so. Kinda ambitious, IMHO, because I've never seen a campaign survive past 8th level or so.

Spelljammer is sorta odd for Adventure Path, as there are so few low-level adventures, and none of the SJ modules have any sort of linkage.

Now, I am in the process of writing a SJ module series (Pirates of the Maelstrom) which should cover 1st to 7th or so. The first module should be out soon, once my PCs finish it up (few more sessions). I hope other SJ DMs will find them useful in their campaigns, as well :)
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:37 pm

I know what Adventure Paths are. :)

The Jammers campaign looks like a sandbox game but like all good DM's I've been a puppet master.

Here is what I put together for the long running Jammers campaign. :)

The campaign started on Bral, with SJR5 Rock of Bral, in a real sense the entire campaign is SJR5 and SJA2 Skull & Crossbows merged together, with additional material tossed in as needed.

The players hired on as sailors for House Moune. First adventure was a home brewed 'random encounter' with a pirate vessel. Then, the fought the Red Mask thieves' guild on Bral, something that SJR5 Rock of Bral heavily implies should happen.

This set the party up for Role Aids #712 Shipwrecker, which I pretty much ran as is, except I converted it to a Spelljammer-aware society.

I then ran a greatly expanded and altered version of the "Fire and Ice" encounter from SJA2 Skull & Crossbows. Then an unplanned sojourn while the players recovered from their nigh-disaster, and then I ran a greatly expanded and altered version of the "Cain" encounter from SJA2 Skull & Crossbows.

Then we delved into Bralian ploitics and piracy.

Next, I ran X1 The Isle of Dread as an Spelljammer exploration adventure.

Then I ran the group through Dungeon # 21 "Jammin'" as a derlict encountered in space instead of as a wrecked jammer on a groundling world.

More Bral politics, into which I slipped Dungeon #8 "For a Lady's Honor".

Now, the players are in the opening stages of several modules and adventures, including
heavily modified "Sign of the Times" from GR3 Treasure Maps, The Legend of Spelljammer, SJA4 Under The Dark Fist, SJR1 Lost Ships, and even more of SJA2 Skull & Crossbows.

Return to “Spelljammer”