Blood Feud (TSR Jam 1999) Any SJ connection?

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: night_druid, Big Mac

Blood Feud (TSR Jam 1999) Any SJ connection?

Postby Big Mac » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:23 am

Havard started up a topic about TSR Jam.

One of the seven adventures is called Blood Feud and is listed as being part of an "Illithiad adventure". The other Illithiad trilogy of adventures end with Dawn of the Overmind has a Spelljammer tie-in (a trip on a spelljamming ship to a previously undiscovered crystal sphere).

Does Blood Feud have any connection with Dawn of the Overmind or another part of the Spelljammer universe? Or is it completely unconnected to the other Illithiad stuff?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Blood Feud (TSR Jam 1999) Any SJ connection?

Postby AuldDragon » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:23 pm

It's a brief underdark adventure involving githzerai and illithids. I don't see any mention of Spelljammer in it.
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
AuldDragon
White Dragon

Postby ripvanwormer » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:09 pm

As written, these illithids are refugees from an illithid city called Kawarlenaa, recently destroyed by a band of githzerai. However, there's nothing in the adventure that says that Kawarlenaa was a groundling settlement. It could have been an asteroid settlement in wildspace for all the difference it makes. The only relevant thing is that the githzerai followed a small group of illithid refugees (and a reduced, mobile form of their elder brain) to a place a few miles from where the PCs are (a small city called Dohc). They tell the PCs they "have come a far way," though presumably they mean their home plane of Limbo is far away. Kawarlenaa might be far away too, though.

If the illithid refugees had a nautiloid, though, it doesn't appear in the adventure. Maybe it crashed and they had to abandon it some distance away. The fact that no ship is mentioned means the mind flayers were probably groundlings, but it wouldn't change the adventure if you decided they weren't.

There's a brief mention of Drawmij (a local bard claims to have met him), so presumably (though not necessarily) this adventure takes place on Oerth. The surface town of Dohc mentioned in this adventure isn't a canonical part of that world but it could reasonably be placed on the edge of the Amedio Jungle near the Hellfurnaces (or you could substitute another city, since the name of the city doesn't matter at all; it just has to be near an underdark area with derro and grimlocks). I guess Dohc could also be in Wildspace somewhere if it's on an asteroid with an underdark area. Or it could be a small settlement on Raenei, perhaps.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Postby Big Mac » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Thanks Auld/Rip.

I think I agree with using the Drawmij reference to locate the adventure on Oerth.

Githzerai do make a lot more sense as a planewalking faction. Keeping them out of Wildspace would make them less likely to bump into Pirates of Gith.

I guess that Kawarlenaa could be given a spelljamming port, with the band of githzerai destroying it...or disabling the nautiloids...in order to stop the illithids from escaping into Wildspace. Alternatively, the illithid refugees could be a group that escaped across the ground and other illithids might have fled in other directions. Presumably the githzeri would want to hunt down the remains of the elder brain first.

Is there any indication of Kawarlenaa being an underdark city or surface city? If Dohc was going to be placed in the Amedio Jungle, I think that Kawarlenaa would also need to be placed in the approximate area.

An asteroid might work. (Both Dohc and Kawarlenna would probably need to be in The Grinder) but I think that the githzerai and illithids would need to have access to spelljamming ships in order for that to work. Not having them zip off somewhere else would be a question the GM would need to deal with. Keeping things on the ground would make the plot you mentioned a bit more logical (to me).

I suppose that Raenei could benefit from being fleshed out a bit, but would it be possible to "write between the lines" and shoehorn Kawarlenaa onto Raenei too?

The other option would be to take an area of Oerth that is underdeveloped and stick Blood Feud there. There seems to be a big gap between the Flanaess and the Sundered Empire.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Newsflash!: The Piazza is moving!
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.
Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Postby ripvanwormer » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:32 pm

Big Mac wrote:I think I agree with using the Drawmij reference to locate the adventure on Oerth.

It's a generic enough adventure that you could use it virtually anywhere. There's a tiny amount of flavor text in which a bard mentions having met Drawmij, but Drawmij could have visited other worlds, or the bard could have done so. Or you could change Drawmij to some other famous character, or drop the line entirely.

Is there any indication of Kawarlenaa being an underdark city or surface city?

According to Ravda, the leader of the githzerai rrakkma band, Kawarlenaa was underground.

If Dohc was going to be placed in the Amedio Jungle, I think that Kawarlenaa would also need to be placed in the approximate area.

The adventure does state that Dohc is the "closest human civilization," but I don't think it needs to be near Kawarlenaa. If it isn't nearby, though, there should probably be some reason why the illithids have fled there in particular. It could be they're seeking help from an allied illithid city which is near Dohc, for example. Or maybe their nautiloid ship crashed there randomly, and Dohc is the closest human civilization to the crash. You could add an encounter where the PCs and the githzerai investigate a crashed nautiloid for clues to where the illithids have gone.

I suggested the Amedio because it's near the Hellfurnaces, which is the best-known (though not the only) underdark region on Oerth, and because the people of Dohc are said to have "medium-dark skin." But as I said above, the adventure is generic enough you could set it anywhere. The adventure says the city is on the border of a large untamed forest, but that's not essential.

An asteroid might work. (Both Dohc and Kawarlenna would probably need to be in The Grinder), but I think that the githzerai and illithids would need to have access to spelljamming ships in order for that to work.

Both illithids and githzerai have innate planar traveling abilities (at least in 2nd edition), so they wouldn't, strictly speaking, need ships to cross worlds, as long as the githzerai had some way of tracking the illithids across the planes. Giving both groups spelljamming ships would make the most sense in a Spelljammer campaign, though.

Both cities could be in the Grinder, or the githzerai could have pursued the illithids from the Grinder to another planet before managing to shoot them down.

I actually think it would work pretty well to use the Rock of Bral as a replacement for Dohc. The mind flayers could have fled into the caves and tunnels within Bral.

I suppose that Raenei could benefit from being fleshed out a bit, but would it be possible to "write between the lines" and shoehorn Kawarlenaa onto Raenei too?

If you wanted to. Or they could have fled from Kule to Raenei.

The other option would be to take an area of Oerth that is underdeveloped and stick Blood Feud there. There seems to be a big gap between the Flanaess and the Sundered Empire.

That gap is where Suhfang/Shaofeng/the Celestial Imperium (Greyhawk's "China") is located. There's no reason why you couldn't set an illithid/githzerai encounter there, if you wanted. I'd get bored with exclusively using creatures from Chinese myth and legend.
ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Return to Spelljammer