Greyhawk Seekers and Spelljammer Seekers?

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: night_druid, Big Mac

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Greyhawk Seekers and Spelljammer Seekers?

Post by GMWestermeyer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:57 pm

So... has anyone discussed if these two match up in any way? The similarities in name and motives are intriguing. I did a quick survey of SJR6 Greyspace and found no reference to Seekers at all.

The Seekers of Greyhawk:
https://wiki.greyparticle.com/index.php ... the_Arcane

A fan take on the Seplljammer Seekers on Bral:
http://www.spelljammer.org/contests/loc ... -Bral.html

I hate to leave such obvious links unconnected...

Perhaps the Seekers of Greyhawk are a corrupt branch of the organization? Or perhaps the Seekers originated on Oerth, and the wildspace branches have shifted towards neutrality and away from greed?

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Re: Greyhawk Seekers and Spelljammer Seekers?

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:49 am

Yes, we discussed it in this thread.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:07 am

Yep, I'm a forgetful old man. :)

Still, I don't think we have really thoroughly explored the Seekers conundrum. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:09 am

GMWestermeyer wrote:Still, I don't think we have really thoroughly explored the Seekers conundrum. :)
There are no "necromancy" rules against bumping old Piazza topics, if you have something meaningful to say on the original topic, Paul. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:35 pm

I don't think I'd have Greyhawk's Seekers of the Arcane be the ultimate founders of Spelljammer's Seekers, if only because I think there are other interesting things that can be done with the Seekers' origin. I'd have the Seekers of the Arcane be the form the Seeker organization takes in Greyspace, though, with ties to the multispheric organization.

One idea I had for the Seekers was that an ancient race, perhaps a group of maedars in their crystalline form (glyptars) or perhaps a group of contemplators (MC9) were left stranded on a world where all other life died out, left with nothing to do but endlessly catalog their compiled knowledge. Centuries or millennia later, a group of scholars (perhaps these were Greyhawk's Seekers) find their way to the world and discover a vast trove of lore tended to by these ancient beings trying to stave off madness. In exchange for bringing them new knowledge, the beings allow them to access their compendium. And so the Seekers are born.

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:40 am

I don't think Contemplators or Glyptars really match the ethos of the Seekers (glyptars being evil and contemplators being amoral), so unless they eventually died off and were replaced by humans/demihumans, I don't think the Seekers would operate as they do. Certain dragons or fal would be better originators.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

ripvanwormer
Black Dragon

Post by ripvanwormer » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:54 pm

I like playing with exceptions to alignment, but dragons and fal are also good possibilities.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:35 pm

I might note...its entirely possible the Seekers have many origins. The current organization may very well be an amalgamation of many disparate groups with an overall mission of "seek knowledge", who met in wildspace and over the centuries merged into a single, rather loose organization. "Seeker" may even just be some common slang for a group that may not have an official name (or many official names).
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:06 pm

night_druid wrote:I might note...its entirely possible the Seekers have many origins. The current organization may very well be an amalgamation of many disparate groups with an overall mission of "seek knowledge", who met in wildspace and over the centuries merged into a single, rather loose organization. "Seeker" may even just be some common slang for a group that may not have an official name (or many official names).
Quite true. We don't know much about the Seekers, with most information in CGR1 The Complete Spacefarers Handbook and SJR5 The Rock of Bral. They are both focused on current activities, not the origin of the group.

The earliest mention of the Seekers I have found is this:
[SJ] The Seekers open the Library of the Spheres on the Rock of Bral when they are forced to move two of their smaller collections to a safe place.
{SJR5 Rock of Bral, p48}
Depending on when your game is set, that is 25-30 years ago.

It is possible the Seekers evolved from the Seekers of Oerth, since they are a few hundred years old, but the SJ organization feels older to me then that.
ripvanwormer wrote: The Seekers: In Greyspace, the Seekers have been absorbed into the Seekers of the Arcane, founded in the early fourth century CY by Jonus Marius, who gathered together the royal explorers and surveyors who had served the Great Kingdom during its expansionist phase.
Hmmm... perhaps Jonus Marius had explored wildspace and encountered the Seekers & joined them, rose to prominence and the seekers on Oerth are somewhat corrupt.

I think in the end there really isn't any canon here, just DM's choice.

Return to “Spelljammer”