Sharkbelly's Spelljammer Projects

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Sharkbelly's Spelljammer Projects

Post by Sharkbelly » Mon May 22, 2017 10:55 pm

Hello, everyone!

I just joined the forum after lurking for a while. I'm a long time D&D and Warhammer player. I enjoyed several Spelljammer campaigns many years ago, and nostalgia has drawn me back to it.

I'm working on a Spelljammer campaign for some time in the future. I've started sketching out encounter ideas and an overall story arc. More on that later!

For now, I've started modelling up some characters to use for it. Here is the first, a Giff named Major Kuda.

The model is based on a Warhammer 40K officer, and the head is sculpted from green stuff.
Last edited by Sharkbelly on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Re: Sharkbelly's Spelljammer Projects

Post by Sharkbelly » Wed May 24, 2017 4:44 am

Up next is the navigator. It is also a warhammer model.

Last edited by Sharkbelly on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Corsair14
Hobgoblin

Post by Corsair14 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:48 pm

I am always looking for campaign ideas. I burn out quickly on little details unfortunately. Wavering right now on between ravenloft, Age of Heroes(ancient Greece in the time of Troy), and Spelljammer. I love spelljammer but have the hardest time of all coming up with campaigns for it.

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Thu May 25, 2017 12:25 am

Ravenloft is fun, but I've never played Age of Heroes.

I have an idea for a campaign with a coalition of the undead that are trying to conquer other spheres in Spelljammer. I figure these guys would have a natural edge in space because they don't have to worry about food and water or even air. :-)

I'm working on a list of planned encounters, but also random stuff sorted roughly by level.

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Thu May 25, 2017 7:55 pm

Here is a Tinker Gnome (Games Workshop) and a Giant Space Hamster (hamster toy based and painted.)

Last edited by Sharkbelly on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 26, 2017 2:21 am

Sharkbelly wrote:Hello, everyone!

I just joined the forum after lurking for a while. I'm a long time D&D and Warhammer player. I enjoyed several Spelljammer campaigns many years ago, and nostalgian has drawn me back to it.
Hello Sharkbelly!

Welcome to The Piazza! Thanks for delurking and signing up. You might want to pop over to Ashtagon's "Introduce yourself here" topic, say hello to everyone and tell them a bit about yourself and the things you like.

And, as you like Warhammer, you might want to take a look at the Warhammer forum at The Piazza. :) (It's The Piazza's newest forum, so you might not have noticed it got set up, if you have been lurking for a long time, and are used to The Piazza not covering Warhammer outside of the Other Worlds forum.)
Sharkbelly wrote:I'm working on a Spelljammer campaign for some time in the future. I've started sketching out encounter ideas and an overall story arc. More on that later!

For now, I've started modelling up some characters to use for it. Here is the first, a Giff named Major Kuda.

<snip - awesome Giff mini>

The model is based on a Warhammer 40K officer, and the head is sculpted from green stuff.
I really like Major Kuda.

I've mostly been away from The Piazza for a while, but AuldDragon was talking about your Giff mini to the player who plays Cadet Higgimus in his Spelljammer game and he posted a link to this topic that I had missed.

You have done a great job of building a Giff head.

Warhammer 40K is an interesting choice of a base model for a SJ mini, as I've found that a lot of their minis are a bit too chunky and spikey for my taste. I've actually got quite a high percentage of Games Workshop figures in my very small mini collection, but I'm pretty fussy about looking for the less flashy ones. This mini looks perfect for a Giff. What type of figure was it? Did it come without a head, or did you have to build Major Kuda's head around an existing head?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum. My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 26, 2017 2:23 am

Sharkbelly wrote:Up next is the navigator. It is also a warhammer model.
Does the navigator have a name?

This one looks unmodiefied. I quite like it. What's the mini called?
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and The Piazza's Google + community and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Fri May 26, 2017 2:37 am

Thanks for sharing those links! I'll have to check them out.

The navigator model is Marco Colombo. It is a slightly older version, and is unmodified.

The giff is based on this fellow, Ursukar Creed:

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 26, 2017 2:39 am

Corsair14 wrote:I am always looking for campaign ideas. I burn out quickly on little details unfortunately. Wavering right now on between ravenloft, Age of Heroes(ancient Greece in the time of Troy), and Spelljammer. I love spelljammer but have the hardest time of all coming up with campaigns for it.
Have you ever looked at Greatspace (from SJA3 Crystal Spheres? That's a spacefaring civilisation based on Greek culture, so you might be able to use HR6 Age of Heroes Campaign Sourcebook to expand the limited amount of information that SJA3 gives you. :)

Myself, Dulsi and Nerik have started several "[Greatspace]" topics since The Piazza was founded. You might want to take a look at them all to see if you want to restart any of them to ask qustions. (Or you could start a new "[Greatspace]" topic if you want to talk about a different aspect of the Hellenic crystal sphere.)

A Ravenloft inspired Spelljammer crystal sphere would also be possible. The vodonni are creatures that wouldn't seem out of place in a Ravenloft game. And there is a Ravenloft tie-in with one of the Spelljammer products. (It's actually in SJA3, so you could run a Age of Heroes meets Spelljammer meets Ravenloft game, if you put a bit of effort into it.)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Fri May 26, 2017 2:55 am

Sharkbelly wrote:Ravenloft is fun, but I've never played Age of Heroes.
The HR campaign settings are a fairly unusual idea. Some of them fit in well with Legends & Lore. And some of them were actually designed to work in pairs, so you can put one faction against the other if you want to.

I've bought a few of them, but not had the time to read them all.

I think it might have been Age of Heroes that came with a circular flatworld map. I saw that and instantly wanted to use it as a flatworld in a SJ crystal sphere. I really like the idea of taking an ancient culture, that has beliefs about the world being flat or having an edge...and being able to use fantasy-logic to be able to make their legends true! :D
Sharkbelly wrote:I have an idea for a campaign with a coalition of the undead that are trying to conquer other spheres in Spelljammer. I figure these guys would have a natural edge in space because they don't have to worry about food and water or even air. :-)
There are quite a few examples of undead in the SJ universe. You are right about them having an edge, as they don't have to worry about foul air. So they can cram extra undead onto ships.

And balled up skeletons were actually used as minefields during the First Unhuman War.
Sharkbelly wrote:I'm working on a list of planned encounters, but also random stuff sorted roughly by level.
I need to do that at some point.

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Fri May 26, 2017 11:07 am

So, in a shop today I found this bronze bowl. Whatever do you guys think I could make with this?

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Sharkbelly wrote:Here is a Tinker Gnome (Games Workshop) and a Giant Space Hamster (hamster toy based and painted.)
Nice.

The main "problem" with Giant Space Hamsters it that there are so many different types.

I'm not sure that anyone would want to make a full set of them, but I could imagine someone needing quit a few hamster toys, if they did.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sun May 28, 2017 7:38 pm

Sharkbelly wrote:So, in a shop today I found this bronze bowl. Whatever do you guys think I could make with this?

Interesting.

I'm figuring that it will either be a dragon or a spelljamming ship, that resembles a dragon.

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Mon May 29, 2017 12:26 pm

That's what I was thinking!

Meanwhile, here is a mind flayer:

Last edited by Sharkbelly on Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Havard
Dragon Turtle

Post by Havard » Tue May 30, 2017 6:10 pm

These are awesome!

The space hamster is my favorite! Now I want to make one of my own. :D

-Havard

Aliases: Håvard Frosta, Havard Blackmoor, Blackmoorian, Dragon Turtle etc
Where to find me on the Web
The Comeback Inn - My Blackmoor Forum
The Blackmoor Blog
My Articles at the Vaults of Pandius
Moderator of the Mystara, Blackmoor and Thunder Rift forums.
My moderator voice is
GREEN.

Canageek
Hobgoblin

Post by Canageek » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Wish I could see these. However, with photobuckets policy changes they can't be seen even if I click on them. Is there any chance you could upload them somewhere else?

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:36 pm

$&@)/($&@/! Pardon my language.

I will look into that.

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:38 pm

I've signed up with a new web hosting site. I'll fix the old pics. Here are some new ones too:

Githyanki

Rogue

Cleric

Oriental Sorcerer

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:13 pm

Sharkbelly wrote:That's what I was thinking!

Meanwhile, here is a mind flayer:

I love the mind flayer.

I've actually been thinking of mixing pre-3rd Edition illithid miniatures with post-2nd Edition illithid miniatures to represent different mind flayer races.

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:34 pm

Interesting! I didn't know there were various races.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:49 pm

at one point in the ilithiad it iirc mentions that there are psionic and non-psionic, and those with or without beaks. apart from that, i'd say the ones in the astromundi cluster are probably a different sort, plus i believe there's a kind of feral one on krynn (called a yaggol or something like that) which iirc is not explicitly called out as being a mind flayer, but... yeah, it's totally a mind flayer. i think they have no psionic powers at all (in fact, i think krynn in general has something that prevents psionic powers, possibly/probably caused by the gods of krynn... perhaps the ancient yaggol were mind flayers that thought to challenge the gods and discovered that the gods of krynn are not quite as hands-off as the gods in most other places :P ).

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:24 am

This fellow is not strictly Spelljammer, but he would make a great opponent nonetheless!

Nate Christen
Troll

Post by Nate Christen » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:37 pm

Nice!

-Nate
Author of d20pirates.blogspot.com and talesfromtheedgeoftheempire.blogspot.com

Sharkbelly
Gnoll

Post by Sharkbelly » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:17 pm

Thanks! Maybe this fellow can have a go at the Kraken. Duardin Cogsmith from the new Warhammer Quest. I figure he would work well as a Tinker Gnome with a gun fetish...

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Sharkbelly wrote:Tinker Gnome with a gun fetish...
Just gotta go and ramp the Tinker Gnome danger up to 11, don't you? :)

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

Return to “Spelljammer”