I had never heard of these before, but they were invented by Ed O'Connel, during the 2nd Edition Era, for an article in Dragon Magazine 163.
They are an ancient race, supposedly older than the creator races of Toril. They have six arms and can cast multiple spells at once and are known for carrying a chromatic disk that allows them to cast additional spells.
They used to have an empire that spanned the Multiverse, but that was destroyed during the Disjuction. (This seems to be something the Spell Weavers caused themselves.) They are trying to restore their empire, by something called the Code of Reversion. (This will restore the universe to how it was before the Disjunction and therefore cause the current Multiverse to cease to exist.)
Spelljammer is a bit lacking in the history department, but here we have a race that would have been found across the crystal spheres.
That means that Spell Weaver adventures, could be throw into random Spelljammer crystal spheres...to pad them out, or new Spell Weaver content could be written that works in a specific crystal sphere.
Has anyone tried doing anything with this race?
Where do you think they would fit in with the other ancient races of the D&D Multiverse?
VIDEOS ABOUT THE SPELL WEAVERS:
- Monster of the Week - The Spell Weaver - Dungeons & Dragons [D&D]: Dungeon Dad: Published on 29 Mar 2017:
- Dungeons and Dragons Lore: Spell Weaver: AJ Pickett: Published on 19 Jan 2018:
- Monstrous Compendium Annual One (2e)
- Monster Manual II (3e)
- Monster Manual 3 (4e)
- Dragon Magazine 163: Page 82: The Dragon's Bestiary
- Dragon Magazine 338: Page 62: Ecology of the Spell Weaver
- Dungeon Magazine 104: Page 45: The Demonskar Legacy
- Dungeon Magazine 109: Page 13: Secrets of the Soul Pillars
- Dungeon Magaizne 130: Page 59: Age of Worms: The Spire of Long Shadows