New Creature: Void Worm

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

New Creature: Void Worm

Post by night_druid » Tue May 21, 2019 9:40 pm

Another new creature. Based off the Purple Worm, this is more or less a creature whose primary purpose is to create literal wormholes in space :)

Void Worm
Climate/Terrain: Any space
Frequency: Very rare
Organization: Solitary
Activity Cycle: Any
Diet: Carnivore
Intelligence: Non (0)
Treasure: A, Zx4
Alignment: Neutral
No. Appearing: 1-2
Armor Class: 2
Movement: See below
Hit Dice: 20
THAC0: 3
No. of Attacks: 1
Damage/Attack: 5-30 or 1-6 hull points
Special Attacks: Swallow whole
Special Defenses:Nil
Magic Resistance: Nil
Size: G (60' long)
Morale: Elite (14)
XP Value: 12,000

Void worms are bizarre, worm-like creatures that inhabit the deepest reaches of wildspace. They possess a unique ability to “tunnel” into the space between space, creating wormholes that can connect two vastly distant points. These points do not need to be in the same sphere, or even in the same time. Legends speak of ships entering wormholes in one sphere only to end up hurled halfway across the Known Spheres, emerging centuries before the point that they entered.

Void worms are gigantic worm-like creatures. Only adult void worms have ever been encountered. These creatures are 10’-12’ in diameter and over 60’ long. There are reports of worms being as much as 20’-24’ in diameter and over 180’ long. Their tails disappear into rips in space, known as wormholes, which shimmer with rainbow-hued light escaping around the edges. Their enormous maws are lined with teeth sharp enough to damage ships.

Combat: Void worms attack by erupting from points in wildspace, rising through their wormholes to attack passing ships. They will attack by biting into the ship’s hull itself (60% chance) or attacking any crewmen on deck (40% chance). Attacks against the hull cause 1d6 hull points of damage. Attacks against crewmen cause 5-30 hit points of damage. If the worm attacks with a roll of 4 better than it requires to hit, or scores a natural 20 on its attack roll, it will swallow whole any crewmen ogre-sized or smaller. Swallowed creatures can attack the worm’s stomach, which has an Armor Class of 8. Creatures in the stomach must make a saving throw vs poison every round, with a cumulative -1 penalty, or perish. Creatures will be fully digested 1 hour after being swallowed.

The point in which the worm emerged from is fixed. If a ship presses on, the worm will simply disappear into its hole, only to emerge 1-4 rounds later at a point where it can attack the ship again. If a worm is reduced to 50% or less hit points, it will retreat and not appear again. Wormholes disappear over time, taking 2d20 rounds to disappear completely. There is a 1% chance that the wormhole is permanent.

Habitat/Society: Where void worms make their lairs is a mystery. Adventurers report following wounded creatures to strange, underground locations. Attempts to burrow out of these lairs results in a rip opening, dumping the occupants of the lair into the Astral Plane. Likewise, divination magic will fail to locate the lair or determine its location in the Known Spheres. The lairs will contain whatever treasures the void worm has collected from attacking spelljammers.

Ecology: The wormholes created by void worms can be traversed by spelljammers as large as elven armada. There seems to be some manner of size distortion that allow such large craft to traverse the relatively narrow worm holes, which should be no larger than 10’-20’ across. Travel through the wormhole takes 10-40 rounds as time, space, and light distorts into a tunnel through which the ship travels. Wormholes are very dangerous; any ship making a trip through a wormhole suffers 2-8 hull points of buffering damage every 10 rounds of travel, and there is always a 5% chance that a ship crashes into an object also found within the wormhole, be it a wreck, small asteroid, or comet. These crashes will cause 6-60 hull points of damage in addition to the buffering damage.
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Seethyr
Couatl

Re: New Creature: Void Worm

Post by Seethyr » Tue May 21, 2019 10:06 pm

These monsters make me hope and pray that SJ will be opened up soon on DMs...
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Tue May 21, 2019 10:13 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 10:06 pm
These monsters make me hope and pray that SJ will be opened up soon on DMs...
Well these are in 2e, not 5e :) But whittling through the list...

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Wed May 22, 2019 10:16 am

Another nice monster! :cool:
night_druid wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 9:40 pm
They possess a unique ability to “tunnel” into the space between space, creating wormholes that can connect two vastly distant points. These points do not need to be in the same sphere, or even in the same time. Legends speak of ships entering wormholes in one sphere only to end up hurled halfway across the Known Spheres, emerging centuries before the point that they entered.
I suppose that is one way to use the "secondary Spelljammer canon" from the Arcane Age books, in a campaign that is otherwise set in the current era. :)
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed May 22, 2019 11:28 am

Big Mac wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 10:16 am
I suppose that is one way to use the "secondary Spelljammer canon" from the Arcane Age books, in a campaign that is otherwise set in the current era. :)
It is. Also might be handy if a DM is so inclined as to send their PCs into the dark, dyspeptic universe of the future.

Another idea...they're chasing an illithid into a wormhole above Toril. The illithid enters first, and for the briefest moment, Toril changes from its blue-green appearance into a hell-scape straight from some lovecraftian nightmare with gigantic, squid-like creatures hovering over its surface and its surface pitted with craters and ruin. The PCs had better act fast to save the timeline :D

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Wed May 22, 2019 7:40 pm

i'm imagining there must be quite a bit of interest in figuring out how the void worms manage to use these wormholes without taking damage... i mean, if the secret could be discovered and you know the location of one of those permanent holes, you could take a trade route that normally might require several months and cut it down to a couple of weeks, for example.

i could definitely see someone trying to build a boat out of void worm parts to see if that works, or attempting to make a magic item that will grant protection from the things inside the wormhole and attempting to discover how the void worm gets that protection so they can duplicate it :)

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed May 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Jaid wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:40 pm
i'm imagining there must be quite a bit of interest in figuring out how the void worms manage to use these wormholes without taking damage... i mean, if the secret could be discovered and you know the location of one of those permanent holes, you could take a trade route that normally might require several months and cut it down to a couple of weeks, for example.

i could definitely see someone trying to build a boat out of void worm parts to see if that works, or attempting to make a magic item that will grant protection from the things inside the wormhole and attempting to discover how the void worm gets that protection so they can duplicate it :)
Sounds like the basis for a campaign, to me. ;)

Jaid
Fire Giant

Post by Jaid » Wed May 22, 2019 9:36 pm

night_druid wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 7:59 pm
Sounds like the basis for a campaign, to me. ;)
oh, definitely. or at the very least, it could lead to a lot of work for adventurers. even if it doesn't wind up being the entire campaign, i could certainly see it being something that the party gets asked to help with in several ways, perhaps starting with trying to find a way to predict or lure void worm attacks (so that someone can study it), protecting a sage who is attempting to study them, killing a void worm and bringing back the parts, bringing back a live void worm for study, or perhaps simply creating a simulacrum of one (which might be the most straightforward means of controlling their ability). and i'm sure there are more things you could do here.

definitely, i could see these as much more than a mere random encounter. although they could also quite easily serve as a random encounter. perhaps the random encounter that leads to the rest of those quests, even :)

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Wed May 22, 2019 9:49 pm

Jaid wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 9:36 pm
oh, definitely. or at the very least, it could lead to a lot of work for adventurers. even if it doesn't wind up being the entire campaign, i could certainly see it being something that the party gets asked to help with in several ways, perhaps starting with trying to find a way to predict or lure void worm attacks (so that someone can study it), protecting a sage who is attempting to study them, killing a void worm and bringing back the parts, bringing back a live void worm for study, or perhaps simply creating a simulacrum of one (which might be the most straightforward means of controlling their ability). and i'm sure there are more things you could do here.

definitely, i could see these as much more than a mere random encounter. although they could also quite easily serve as a random encounter. perhaps the random encounter that leads to the rest of those quests, even :)
Pretty much how I envision them. More or less, the monster is just a means to get to plot-rich "wormholes" than anything else. :D

Yaztromo
The Real Nowhere Man

Post by Yaztromo » Thu May 23, 2019 4:57 am

Nice creature, very Spelljammery!
I'm the Real Nowhere Man, sitting in my Nowhere Land,
making all my Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Return to “Spelljammer”