Reusing old module maps for Spelljammer

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Reusing old module maps for Spelljammer

Post by night_druid » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Topic for discussion - has anybody reused old module maps for spelljammer?

For example, I'm in the process of writing a Liberation of Spiral adventure, using the Keep on the Borderlands (as well as other low-level 1e modules) as Chalice Keep, occupied by the scro, and the Caves of Chaos now a refuge for surviving humans and demi-humans for PCs to use as a base. Has anyone taken an old module and used the map for a spelljammer location? Perhaps taking an old dungeon and turned it into a dwarven citadel? What's been your experiences with it?
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Re: Reusing old module maps for Spelljammer

Post by Big Mac » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:11 pm

AuldDragon has done quite a bit of this for the Spelljammer campaign he broadcasts on Twitch.

He has recycled at least three different maps to be parts of the Rock of Bral's Underdark.

He used another map as a building in Shou town.

There was another map he used as part of a large asteroid. He had a map of a cave complex, which he turned into an asteroid.

He even turned a shark-shaped ship into a gnomish spelljamming ship.

I'm probably missing some other stuff he has done.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:07 pm

I guess you mean reccycling the maps, as opposed to just converting the module for SJ like I did with Isle of Dread or Shipwrecker? :)

I LOVE that adventure idea. I'd love to play in that game!

night_druid
Radiant Dragon

Post by night_druid » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:12 pm

GMWestermeyer wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:07 pm
I guess you mean reccycling the maps, as opposed to just converting the module for SJ like I did with Isle of Dread or Shipwrecker? :)
Effectively, yes. More or less I saw a FB post on the Mystara group with a map of Mistamere castle and had a stray thought about using it in spelljammer. I had already done something similar with the sample dungeon from the Holmes blue book, reusing the map for a Halruaan game I'm running with two 6th level PCs.
I LOVE that adventure idea. I'd love to play in that game!
I'm about 1/3rd through writing it up. I plan to run it at some point. I really need to stop being such a perfectionist, really :P
Moderator: Spelljammer, Kingdoms of Kalamar. My moderator voice is green

Lord Torath
Thri-Kreen Starfarer

Post by Lord Torath » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:45 am

I always wanted to explore the High Clerist's Tower, and thought it would make a great "Mad Mage's Castle" for the Statulee adventure seed from Lost Ships.
My Spelljammer stuff: Dropbox Feel free to use or not use as you see fit. :)

AuldDragon
White Dragon

Post by AuldDragon » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:32 am

As Big Mac said, I have done this regularly. I edited some maps from Dragon Mountain into some chambers in Bral's Underdark, I used multiple buildings from Oriental Adventures adventures as buildings in Shou Town, I used a Dungeon module thieves' guild map as the tomb and treasure hoard of an old pirate, and I used a map from a1e module that wasn't published until late 2e (I forget which, but I think the map was new) as dungeon complexes on Radole, created by a mad Reigar. His complex in another sphere was also taken from the non-euclidean dungeon map in an issue of Dungeon magazine as well.

The map that Big Mac referred to as a cave complex-turned asteroid, and the shark-ship, don't count, though, since I just adapted the adventure (Scourge of Scalabar) for Spelljammer. I highly recommend this one for a low-to-mid level Bral-based adventure. It works really well. Same went for the adventure Skulking Below. My changes to the adventures were relatively minor.

The maps I'm currently using I made myself, however, based specifically on the layout of a block of buildings on Bral. I was thinking of posting them on DM's Guild when the adventure is complete.

Jeff
Let's Play Old Games with AuldDragon (Youtube) | My 2nd Edition Blog
Monster Mythology Update Project | Spelljammer Livestream Campaign
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."

GMWestermeyer
Stone Giant

Post by GMWestermeyer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:16 am

Mostly, I just place the entiure adventure in an SJ setting. Besides those I already mentioned (X1 Isle of Dread & Shipwrecker), I ran "Lady's Honor" from Dungeon #8.

I have made use of map and adventures in my development of Bralspace. For example, I added Scalabar from Dungeon #74 ‘Scourge of Scalabar’ to the planet Shipwrecker. And, of course, I added Serraine from PC2 Top Ballista (or rather, you did for me! :)).

I did add a Shou fortress asteroid using Dragon #121 ‘Sun Dragon Castle’, though it hasn't come up in play yet. Similarly, I've added Topaline from 'Through the Glittering Veil', Dungeon #31 as an asteroid settlement, but again, it hasn't com up yet in play. I created a drow asteroid ity using the dark elf city in Elves Role Aids #711 also, as a base for the drow from SJA2 Skull & Crossbows.

I used a map of the Inn of the Last home from Dragonlance as the floorplan for an elven tavern on Bral, Undu Elenath. (‘Beneath all the Stars of Heaven’)

Return to “Spelljammer”