[Realmspace] Crown of Flame spell and Tears of Selune

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Realmspace] Crown of Flame spell and Tears of Selune

Post by Big Mac » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:16 pm

I just found out that a Githvyrik (a type of Gith), called Vhostym, created a spell, called the Crown of Flame which pulled one of the Tears of Selûne out of orbit and caused it to hover in the sky of Toril and create an artificial eclipse of the sun (also called a "Crown of Flame").

The preparation for the spell used Netherese magical components (Netherese mantles) as well as a bunch of other things that are very hard to get. I think that the Crown of Flame spell was probably on the same sort of power-level as the Proktiv's Move Mountain (so it's probably the equivalent to a 10th level spell).

Githvyrik cast his spell on the 1373 DR Marpenoth 26 and it stayed in the sky for a day, before Githvyrik was killed and his spell ended with the Tear falling into Toril's atmosphere and breaking up. (That later got called the Rain of Fire.)

Apparently, this is featured in the Forgotten Realms novel Dawn of Night. Has anyone read Dawn of Night. Does it say which one of the Tears of Selûne Vhostym cast his Crown of Flame spell on?
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Seethyr
Couatl

Re: [Realmspace] Crown of Flame spell and Tears of Selune

Post by Seethyr » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:56 am

I don’t believe the book dropped any spelljammer references to the Tears of Selune unfortunately. I read it right when the novel came out so it’s been some time, but that would’ve piqued my interest enough to remember.

If you haven’t read it, I’d definitely recommend picking it up, it was a great read and made me hope that more about the Githvyrik would be explored at future dates.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Lord Torath
Thri-Kreen Starfarer

Post by Lord Torath » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:04 am

What was the purpose of the eclipse? Did they need 5 minutes of near darkness in a particular location at a particular time?
My Spelljammer stuff: Dropbox Feel free to use or not use as you see fit. :)

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:06 pm

Seethyr wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:56 am
I don’t believe the book dropped any spelljammer references to the Tears of Selune unfortunately. I read it right when the novel came out so it’s been some time, but that would’ve piqued my interest enough to remember.
Forgotten Realms Wiki says that one of the Tears of Selûne was pulled out of orbit and crashed into Toril (splitting into five bits). Maybe it doesn't say any more than that.

It's still interesting that it is magically possible to pull an asteroid out of orbit. The elves used magic to blow up a planet of orcs in the First Unhuman War (and turned it into an asteroid cluster). Maybe they used a spell of similar power level. :)
Seethyr wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:56 am
If you haven’t read it, I’d definitely recommend picking it up, it was a great read and made me hope that more about the Githvyrik would be explored at future dates.
I'll probably try and pick up all three books (like I did with the Richard Baker trilogy that had Corsair in the middle).

Thanks for the advice.
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

Post by Big Mac » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:41 am

Lord Torath wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:04 am
What was the purpose of the eclipse? Did they need 5 minutes of near darkness in a particular location at a particular time?
From what I can tell, from the Forgotten Realms Wiki article, it was some sort of bizarre tourist-like thing. He just wanted to see it.

Vhostym had some sort of skin sensitivity. When he was a child, he saw a natural Crown of Flame (which was probably a regular lunar eclipse caused by Selûne going in front of the sun) and later decided he could create his own Crown of Flame.

He caught some sort of disease that slowly ate his body over a few hundred years.

He spent ages using magic to keep himself alive and gathering the components to cast the spell. And he apparently only had a few days left to live when he cast the spell.

If the Crown of Flames had allowed him to cure his disease and live the rest of his life, I would have understood it.

But, from what I can tell from the article, he stationed the asteroid in a position where it would stay directly between the sun and the part of Toril he wanted to go to. And just wanted to do it, so that he could walk around in the daytime in comfort.

And then he got killed and the spell failed (which is why the asteroid fell and hit the atmosphere).

I can't say it makes too much sense, having not read the novel yet.

It's a bit like someone writing a story about a vampire that spends 100 years coming up with an evil plan for going to the seaside, so they can sit in a deck chair eating an ice cream. :lol:

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:12 am

From what I remember it had an emotional/mental component to it that made him somewhat of a tragic villain. But again, it’s been a long time since I read it.
Follow the Maztica (Aztez/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Cromstar
Gnoll

Post by Cromstar » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:55 am

Big Mac wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:41 am
If the Crown of Flames had allowed him to cure his disease and live the rest of his life, I would have understood it.

But, from what I can tell from the article, he stationed the asteroid in a position where it would stay directly between the sun and the part of Toril he wanted to go to. And just wanted to do it, so that he could walk around in the daytime in comfort.

And then he got killed and the spell failed (which is why the asteroid fell and hit the atmosphere).

I can't say it makes too much sense, having not read the novel yet.

It's a bit like someone writing a story about a vampire that spends 100 years coming up with an evil plan for going to the seaside, so they can sit in a deck chair eating an ice cream. :lol:
You say that, but I'm reminded of Mr. Freeze from Batman: The Animated Series, and his one line in particular he utters:

"Think of it, Batman. To never again walk on a summer's day with a hot wind in your face and a warm hand to hold. Oh yes, I'd kill for that."

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia and loss, especially for that which can never truly be again. If the hypothetical vampire in is an ancient vampire who was turned as an 8 year old, and the only good things in his life were his younger, carefree, innocent days sitting on a deck chair eating ice cream in the warm sun...then yes, I would absolutely buy into a story where said vampire spends 100 years concocting some bizarre evil scheme to let him get just a TASTE of that one more time.

Tauster
Stone Giant

Post by Tauster » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Chiming in on the discussion, I too think that his reasons for creating an artificial eclipse were emotional ones: There are much simpler arcane ways to shade yourself from the sun and walk around outside. Coming up with a lowlevel spell that does the trick should be something your average PC could do, so for a near-immortal villain this would be a cakewalk. Hence, it stands t reason that he just wanted to relive the event of his youth and wasn't content with a simple illusion but wanted the real thing.
You see things and ask "Why?" - but I dream things that never were and ask "Why not?" (G.B.Shaw)

Lord Torath
Thri-Kreen Starfarer

Post by Lord Torath » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:59 pm

But he's a vampire. He's got forever. All he needs to do is wait a decade or two (or three) for the next one. He might need to travel a bit to be in the correct location, but no mega-magic is required.

Although, if he wants an annular eclipse (the Crown of Fire version), he's going to need something to protect him from the sun. And seriously, a Protection from Daylight spell is a lot easier than a spell to move a frickin asteroid.
My Spelljammer stuff: Dropbox Feel free to use or not use as you see fit. :)

Seethyr
Couatl

Post by Seethyr » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:44 pm

Lord Torath wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:59 pm
But he's a vampire. He's got forever. All he needs to do is wait a decade or two (or three) for the next one. He might need to travel a bit to be in the correct location, but no mega-magic is required.

Although, if he wants an annular eclipse (the Crown of Fire version), he's going to need something to protect him from the sun. And seriously, a Protection from Daylight spell is a lot easier than a spell to move a frickin asteroid.
I don’t believe he was actually a vampire, it was some mishap or spell related aversion to sunlight. Perhaps even just an incurable skin condition. He was also dying and had little time.

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign

Return to “Spelljammer”