[Greatspace] "Mythic Odysseys of Thesalys"?

"Let us create vessels and sails adjusted to the heavenly aether, and there will be plenty of people unafraid of the empty wastes." — Kepler
The Book-House: Find Spelljammer products.

Moderators: Big Mac, night_druid

Big Mac
Giant Space Hamster

[Greatspace] "Mythic Odysseys of Thesalys"?

Post by Big Mac »

What with Mythic Odysseys of Theros coming out, I was wondering if the Greek culture in Theros might be any good for expanding the Greatspace world of Thesalys.

The people of Greatspace believe that Zeus created their crystal sphere, after getting bored with the actions of mortals in some other crystal sphere.

They also have abandoned legends and mystical tales and believe in science, so I don't think it (or any other Greek book) is going to be an exact fit, but there are only three paragraphs on Thesalys, so I'm figuring that there might be things that can represent how things were in the past.

Or maybe some magical devices from Mythic Odysseys of Theros could be treated as magical inventions of the spellcasters on Thesalys.
David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Please join The Piazza's Facebook group, The Piazza's Facebook page and follow The Piazza's Twitter feed so that you can stay in touch.
Spelljammer 3E Conversion Project - Spelljammer Wiki - The Spelljammer Image Group.
Moderator of the Spelljammer forum (and administrator). My moderator voice is green.

Jaid
Fire Giant

Re: [Greatspace] "Mythic Odysseys of Thesalys"?

Post by Jaid »

well, first off I'd point out that in D&D, the gods aren't just myths. they're real, tangible (in theory), and they really do interfere in the affairs of mortals actively and visibly. likewise with magic, monsters, demons, etc.

so I would expect that in Greatspace, it isn't so much a matter of "we don't believe in those silly things any more", but rather "we are attempting to study how those things *actually* work, and then categorize and quantify them appropriately". after all, minotaurs aren't myths, they're real, and they actually are exceptionally capable of navigating mazes. they may have debunked the theory that all minotaurs live in mazes and demand human sacrifices on a regular basis, I suppose.

so, for example, in a standard D&D setting, people might describe a basilisk as a giant lizard that petrifies people (then again, considering giant lizards aren't that uncommon, they may just call them "lizards", who knows). in Greatspace, they may have acquired basilisk corpses, studied them, and found out that while they appear lizard-like, they're actually more closely related to snakes, or possibly even that they aren't technically any sort of reptile at all or something like that.

it is also worth noting that the authors may not have actually meant science, per se, but rather technology (for example, most people if asked to point to something that is "science" would think of a computer or perhaps a chemistry set, when in fact science is a process by which we study the world in an attempt to avoid letting our preconceived notions influence what we believe - and frankly, a lot of "experiments" done today, IRL, don't actually do that very well, and even scientists can believe plenty of things that are wrong). it is likely that the author meant that Greatspace simply has more advanced technology, and maybe has more people reading and writing books than average, but doesn't necessarily mean that they use the scientific method.

the other thing to consider is that Greatspace is huge. there could easily be parts of it where people don't practice science (or, more likely, philosophy, which included things like engineering and whatnot) even if the authors actually did mean they use the scientific method.

Tim Baker
Axe Beak

Re: [Greatspace] "Mythic Odysseys of Thesalys"?

Post by Tim Baker »

I like your idea. It's along the same lines of my use of a lot of D&D sourcebooks: find something that I find interesting, and incorporate it into a setting I'm already running. That way, I get to use it right away, rather than waiting for the elusive "next campaign."

Return to “Spelljammer”